771 users online (185 members and 586 guests)  

Websleuths News

justbeachy is offline "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."

FL - Shigeko Freeman, 60, Niceville, 5 Jan 2013

*Forgot to put town in Title...won't let me edit, so maybe a mod can do it? Sorry!*

This woman is from my hometown...a little place named Niceville and nothing ever happens there. I hope they find her soon. The FB missing page says she went missing on Jan 6, but she was last seen on Jan 5.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/local/wo...bridge-1.80449

"Shigeko M. Freeman, 60, was last seen at her home at 10:30 p.m. Jan. 5, the Sheriff’s Office reported.

Her 2002 red Honda sedan was found early Jan. 6 in the northbound lane of Mid-Bay Bridge with its emergency lights activated, according to a news release.

The car was not broken down. Inside was a note to call 911, her identification and her husband’s phone number, according to the Sheriff’s Office."

From "Prayers for Shigeko" FB page (www.facebook.com/PrayersForShigeko)

"Shigeko “Shi” Freeman has been missing since Jan 6, 2013. Her car was found in the northbound emergency lane on the Mid-Bay Bridge on Jan 6, 2013. She has been dealing with insomnia for over 10 years and was prescribed a sleeping pill called Ambien. We believe the medication, which is a sedative-hypnotic and stays in the body’s system, has altered her thinking process. We now know, from the FDA, the dosage of 10mg is dangerous for women. Ms. Freeman is 4'10", 106 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. Anyone with any information about Shigeko Freeman's whereabouts is asked to contact Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Investigative Office at (850) 609-2000."
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 02-02-2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: forgot to put town in title

Prayers for this poor lady. My ex was taking Ambien and really did some strange things while using it. Leaving hotel rooms naked, looking for his children (who he did not have custody of and lived in another state). It's a scary drug. I don't know why doctors keep prescribing it.

Any idea if the handwriting on the note was hers? It sounds either staged or she jumped, unfortunately. That is a long bridge if I remember correctly. Any idea if it was near one of the ends, or in the middle?

I assume her husband was the last to see her that night. Hopefully there were no marital problems going on.
    Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future. - Oscar Wilde

Attitude ~ it's a little thing that makes a big difference.

She's been missing almost two weeks now. This is scary sad, because after all this time, with no sightings and she hasn't turned up, considering where her car was found, the odds aren't good she's still with us. JMO.
    Where is Sky Metalwala???

This is scary. I'd think 10 mg of ambien for anyone weighing only 106 lbs. I'm with the poster who wondered why doctors even prescribe it anymore. Too risky, imo especially when there are other safer medications available for insomnia.

I do pray she is recovered one way or the other. Can local's chime in on how frequently bodies are recovered in this area if they went into the water?

I'm also curious now how many death's have been contributed to Ambien use. If I understand correctly, Ambien can give people blackouts while they're on it.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

justbeachy is offline "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."
    They do find bodies in Choctaw Bay occasionally. I lost 2 friends in high school that went out onto the bay in a canoe and drowned (never did find out what exactly happened, but they did find their bodies).

I moved to Niceville in 1987 and that bridge was built in....maybe 92 or 93. It has become heavily traveled over the years. Ironically, just at Christmas I had a conversation with my brother about survival rates if someone jumped from that bridge. He said to me that even at the "lower" points, survival would be unlikely. At the high point, forget it. Take that for what it's worth...he's definitely no expert.

The road is a toll road, but if she was heading into Niceville (which I think she was...I'm not good with directions, but I think northbound heads into Niceville) then she wouldn't have made it to the toll booth (the Destin side doesn't have one). Point is: no video or SunPass records. I'm trying to remember if there are video cameras actually on the bridge...

I wouldn't think she could fall off the bridge just from walking in the bike lane. The walls are fairly high, so she would have had to intentionally jumped....or climbed onto the wall and then accidentally fallen in. The press release said her car was found "early" on Jan 6 but I'd like to know what time that means. Jan 6 was a Sunday, so I think there would be a fair amount of traffic on the bridge at least until 2 a.m. when the bars closed with all of the Saturday partiers.

Honestly, if she ended up in the water, I'm surprised her body hasn't been found by now.

Not everyone has a bad reaction to Ambien. How long had she been taking it? Insomnia for 10 yrs.? Had she had episodes of strange behavior before while taking Ambien or anything else? Her note makes it sound like suicide....sadly.
    IMO

UPDATE: Woman still missing, car found on bridge

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/local/up...bridge-1.80449

By LAUREN DELGADO / Daily News
    Published: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 09:00 AM.

NICEVILLE — As of Tuesday morning, the 60-year-old woman reported missing has not be found and the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office is asking for help in locating her.

Recovered Remains Identified as Missing Niceville Resident

http://www.wjhg.com/news/headlines/R...189431381.html

Posted: Fri 3:50 PM, Feb 01, 2013

<snipped>
    Dental records indicate it is 60-year old Shigeko Freeman of Niceville, who disappeared sometime January 5th or 6th.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Rest in Peace Ms. Freeman.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    Prayers for this poor lady. My ex was taking Ambien and really did some strange things while using it. Leaving hotel rooms naked, looking for his children (who he did not have custody of and lived in another state). It's a scary drug. I don't know why doctors keep prescribing it.

I don't think everybody has the same reaction from it. I take it all the time, and the oddest thing I ever did was fall asleep while sitting up reading a book, but that was when my body had not become used to it yet. I've been taking it for about 2 years. Most of the time I only take half of a 10 mg. tablet, but once in a while I take a whole one, and have had no problems.

I do think that some do not take it as prescribed, or they could be mixing it with alcohol, which is dangerous with any medication. Too many people take it to get the euphoric feeling but they're still up doing other things instead of going to bed. It's a sleep medication... not intended for anything else. You have to go to bed within 20 minutes and be prepared to go to sleep, you don't stay up doing laundry or deciding to drive to Walmart.