1039 users online (222 members and 817 guests)  

Websleuths News

Russia - Irina Cherska, 39, found dismembered, Moscow, 3 Jan 2013

After allegedly strangling and mutilating his wife earlier this week, a Moscow chef enlisted his 1,300 Facebook friends in a phony and macabre search for a woman they thought was still alive.

http://www.dailydot.com/news/chef-mu...cebook-search/

I bet fake FB pages and searches are more common than I'd like to think. There is a case or 2 currently ongoing where I could see this happening.
    "He who does not prevent a crime when he can, encourages it.
    ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca

My confession... I

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie Vi View Post
    I bet fake FB pages and searches are more common than I'd like to think. There is a case or 2 currently ongoing where I could see this happening.
    It wasn't a fake facebook page. He is accused of killing his wife, claiming she went missing, then asking his facebook friends to look for her.
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie Vi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    It wasn't a fake facebook page. He is accused of killing his wife, claiming she went missing, then asking his facebook friends to look for her.
    semantics. The page was real but it hoaxed people into believing this man thought his wife was missing and was desperate to find her. In that sense the entire purpose the page was being used at that time for was indeed fake.

I am following a case where there is what I would consider to be a "fake" FB page by family members of a missing man. It is purportedly to keep the missing family member's story and face out there, and yet it has not been updated or maintained by the person's family since the initial missing report. I think the page was created as a ruse, for appearances, to appear concerned about this missing person when in reality they know full well he is dead, at the hands of someone in his own family.

That is what Moxie means by "fake" and in that sense it is. The page was not fake, it was his own FB page, but it was used to fake out onlookers and perpetrate a hoax, a fake circumstance.

Tomato, to-mah-to
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

He used it to convince real people to look for his wife that they believed to be missing.
    Just my opinion

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    He used it to convince real people to look for his wife that they believed to be missing.
    I referred to it as a fake page because the premise behind it was based on a lie. He knew that she was dead and not missing yet used to his real FB to perpetuate a lie so that others would look for her and to direct suspicion of away from him. My reference to it beinga fake was more in rreference to how it was being used, in a deceitful manner.
    ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca

My confession... I

I followed you Moxie.

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

How do you get 1300 FB friends? I don't think I even know 1300 people...fake or otherwise.

lol, I am not the one to answer that, I have maybe 30 tops, not even sure how to find out other than counting them (which I just did)

I am old school. I FB but partly so that I can actually follow these cases and check out victim and suspect pages and my FB friends are actual friends, a few long time online associates and family members.

This guy takes the cake alright. Wonder what all those concerned friends are thinking now, knowing what he did and how they were duped.

Quote Originally Posted by tlcya View Post
    I followed you Moxie.

You definitely did! I think you even explained it better than I did.
    ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca

My confession... I

From February 2014:

http://sputniknews.com/russia/201312...g-Up-Wife.html

A Moscow café owner and chef who killed his journalist wife and then cut up her body was sentenced to 14 years behind bars on Monday by a Russian court.

Alexei Kabanov, 38, the founder of a chain of cafes in Moscow, said he strangled his wife Irina, 39, a mother of three children, in a fit of rage on January 3.