Surgeons remove baby's "second" head...

the way I am reading this, there were actually 3 babies? One with the head of the other attached, and one was ok? Still a very sad situation. It happens so frequently with the poor pre-natal care, and poor nutrition that happens in many other countries. I am so glad that it is rare.

"Video footage provided by the hospital, a national center in Egypt for children's medicine, showed Manar smiling and at ease in a cot with the dark-haired "parasitic" twin, attached at the upper left side of the girl's skull, occasionally blinking.

After the 13-hour operation, Reuters journalists saw the baby, her head swathed in bandages and body wreathed by tubes, in an intensive care ward. A separate twin sister, Noora, is healthy after initial problems with the birth on March 30."

Looks like conjoined twins

After surgery

"We studied the babies well," Alfy said. "We had to study how the blood supply of the parasite is working."

full story here

More links to the story

It's not mentioned in the articles if the twin had any other organs besides her brain.

To refer to this child as a baby in one sentence, and a parasite in the next is just dreadful.

Very moving photographs, and a heartbreaking story.

Giving thanks this was not my decision to make. \o/
Prayers for little Manar, Lanie

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/photos/recip/ss/*http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?p=news&g=events/sc/021905egyptbaby&e=1&tmpl=sl",750,580

another link..above
contains photos.

This was a living child - albeit surviving on her sister's organs but it's just incredibly wrong to call this CHILD a parasite. I would grieve for this lost baby. Very sad

It is incredibly sad but I have to ask myself what kind of life the child/children would have had if the operation hadn't been done. Unfortunately life is difficult and forces us to make heartbreaking choices. My great-grandmother had 13 children - all born at home. The last was terribly deformed and had many problems. My grandmother always believed that the doctor that was present euthanized the baby. Unbelievable but she said that is what they usually did then. I wouldn't believe if she hadn't of told me.

miimaa said:
It is incredibly sad but I have to ask myself what kind of life the child/children would have had if the operation hadn't been done. Unfortunately life is difficult and forces us to make heartbreaking choices. My great-grandmother had 13 children - all born at home. The last was terribly deformed and had many problems. My grandmother always believed that the doctor that was present euthanized the baby. Unbelievable but she said that is what they usually did then. I wouldn't believe if she hadn't of told me.

I'm in agreement with you. I would have done it had it been my children.

How sad.
I too would grieve for the loss of this other baby. It was not a parasite. It was an actual baby, or start of one. He/She had a perfect llittle face !! Unfortunately, the baby could not survive without the other one and as heartbreaking as it would be, I would have to seperate them.

It sounds cruel I know but its called a parasite because its medically known as a parasitic twin..........it cannot survive on its own but is sucking the life out of the baby that can survive so it IS a parasite as far as medicine goes.

I cant imagine what this family is going through and my prayers are with them!

Just saw this thread. I remember seeing a similar case in Britian I believe with girls sharing one body but 2 heads. Seems each head controls one arm and one leg. When I saw the documentary on TV the girls were about 8 yrs. old.

They were otherwise separate individuals with independent thoughts and speech, but just attached to one body. I guess in this case they couldn't say one was dominent, therefore the family chose not to have a surgical removal.

Pepper said:
Just saw this thread. I remember seeing a similar case in Britian I believe with girls sharing one body but 2 heads. Seems each head controls one arm and one leg. When I saw the documentary on TV the girls were about 8 yrs. old.

They were otherwise separate individuals with independent thoughts and speech, but just attached to one body. I guess in this case they couldn't say one was dominent, therefore the family chose not to have a surgical removal.
I remember seeing them too. I even think Oprah did a show on them a few years back. They seem to figure it all out. They also were 2 distinct people....they had their own ideas and thoughts. SIGH....must be a challenging life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back