675 users online (73 members and 602 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

ID - Joseph Wiederrick, 18, Moscow, 20 Jan 2013

UI student reported missing

Moscow police are asking the public to be on the lookout for an 18-year-old University of Idaho student who hasn't been seen since early Sunday morning.

Joseph Wiederrick, of Boise, was last seen at approximately 2 a.m. Sunday while out with a friend on campus, said Moscow Police Department Lt. David Lehmitz. Wiederrick was supposed to return to his residence at the UI's Theophilus Tower, but never made it, Lehmitz said. His friend reported him missing around noon Sunday.

More: http://lmtribune.com/article_5946b14...a4bcf6878.html

Police search for missing UI student

[snip]

Wiederrick had left a function at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity around 2 a.m. Sunday but a friend reported he never returned to his residence at the Theophilus Tower.

[snip]

Moscow Police Lt. Dave Lehmitz said his cellphone was pinged two miles north of Moscow and Police Chief David Duke said a woman found him in her basement on Highland Drive around 3 a.m. He was asked to leave, and Duke said the woman reported Wiederrick did not appear intoxicated. He added the UI student has no medical history to explain why he would have wandered off.

His footprints were tracked east of town by Darby Road, which corresponds with the tracking of his phone.

More: http://dnews.com/breaking_news/artic...5f5b149e3.html

Interesting. The part in your snipped quote about the woman finding him in her basement is not in the linked article anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubble View Post
    Interesting. The part in your snipped quote about the woman finding him in her basement is not in the linked article anymore.
    You're right...it's not there now. Very curious piece of info though.

The young man is very thin for 6 ft tall....
    Sleuthing....from the perch.

Here's a link to a map I just put together.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...40938,0.104628

There was just a suicide at U of Idaho this past weekend too. 18-year-old male shot himself in his dorm.

http://lmtribune.com/northwest/artic...fb5bf9a94.html

What a strange disappearance......
    I wonder if he has a friend that lives in the area of the woman's home?
    Also did he go on foot the whole way? It's only a few miles but seems to cross lots and lots of roads. So he must have been seen by someone walking along the streets that late at night.
    "Promise me you'll always remember: you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
    -Christopher Robin to Winnie the Pooh

I would be interested in learning more about Joe's visit to the girl's place in those early morning hours...

Quote Originally Posted by IHAVENOCLUE View Post
    I would be interested in learning more about Joe's visit to the girl's place in those early morning hours...
    There wasn't much info given. It just said a woman found him in her basement. It could be one of many things. He could have been there with another person. He could have been there alone. Could have gotten confused and entered the basement thinking it was where he was supposed to be or just getting out of the cold. Regardless, when he left, he still didn't head back towards campus.

I wonder if he stayed on the main road, or trekked across the fields toward Darby road? I'm guessing, since they were able to follow footprints so easily, he may have gone through the fields. Endless fields.

I'm very concerned for this young man. The weather has been in the low to mid 20's at night there. Does anyone know if they have used any tracking dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by LaborDayRN View Post
    I'm very concerned for this young man. The weather has been in the low to mid 20's at night there. Does anyone know if they have used any tracking dogs?
    Latah County Search & Rescue is involved. One article mentioned people searching. Not sure if they have dogs available. Hopefully.

Hailey Teen Missing in Moscow

[snip]

Duke said the roommate told police the two went to a fraternity on campus and Wiederrick left on foot around midnight.

The roommate last spoke to Wiederrick at about 3 a.m. Sunday, Duke said.

Monday morning, a homeowner who lives in the north part of Moscow came forward and told police she believed Wiederrick was in her basement shortly before 3 a.m. Sunday. She confronted Wiederrick and told him to leave, and he did, Duke said.

Police believe Wiederrick called his roommate after leaving the house. During the call Wiederrick told his roommate he was heading back to the fraternity, which would have been southwest of the home. Instead, footprints and cellphone pings indicate he headed east from the home.

Duke said this indicates Wiederrick was disoriented, although the homeowner said she didn’t believe he was very intoxicated when she spoke to him. Police haven’t picked up any more cellphone pings; Duke said the phone was turned off or the battery died.

Early Monday morning, police tracked Wiederrick’s footprints about two miles east of Moscow. Then at sunrise, Latah County Rescue activated its team and searched all day Monday.

“Several teams are searching east, north and in town for him,” Duke said Monday afternoon.

More: http://magicvalley.com/news/local/st...9bb2963f4.html

Are there any bodies of water near the last known location? TIA

I find it strange that this woman didn't call police right away. Instead waited until the morning to come forward. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Janeumayer View Post
    Are there any bodies of water near the last known location? TIA
    Paradise Creek flows through Moscow, but if I recall correctly, it's near campus. Nothing out toward where he was last seen. Just fields. Lots and lots and lots of fields. Then a few more fields.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast