Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: PA Pediatrician Murdered Set On Fire In Her Home

Quote Originally Posted by Pirplegrl View Post
    I get you on dennis rader. What he did was sick and twisted. But didn't he start way back before he was married??? I forget.
    When I first saw the news, the first thought I had was, "This is just like the BTK Killer."

Jason Smith did not "snap" and just do this. This was a sexual crime.

Dennis Rader would (B) bind, (T) torture through strangulation, the torture was he would strangle them, then allow them to gain consciousness so that they would know they were being murdered and then (K) kill them through strangulation.

He was much like this killer in the fact that he did not actually have sexual contact with his victims, but would masterbate next to the victim. This was before DNA, so he left his semen next to their bodies. Luckily, the samples were collected and saved all those years.

He also had ropes around their necks and would bind them with very intricate knots. I am sure he was able to do this quite well since he was a Boy Scout Leader.

He was married May 22, 1971. His first killing was January 15, 1974, where he murdered four members of the Otero family. At the time, he thought only the mother and young daughter would be home, but her husband and young son were also there.

Rader and his wife were married 34 years. They were both very active in their church. He was a Deacon in their church. After he murdered his neighbor of 30 years, Marine Hedge, he took her body to that same church and took pictures of her in different bondage poses. He actually left a Boy Scout outing to go kill Marine Hedge and then return. His wife had no idea. She thought her husband was at a Boy Scout outing.

Rader said he used to read those detective type magazines as a young boy, the ones where the girl was tied up on the front cover.

He said his idol was Harvey Glatman. A serial killer in the 1950's, that posed as a magazine photographer. The models allowed Harvey Glatman to tie them up based on the ruse that he was shooting pictures for the cover of one of these detective magazines.

All three of these men were/are into bondage and the sexual relief it gives them when they murder their victim. Dennis Rader goes into great detail about the sexual relief it offered him.

I do not believe this is his first victim, nor do I believe it would have been his last.
    Last edited by Lithloren; 01-26-2013 at 04:27 AM. Reason: updated quote

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lithloren For This Useful Post:

I found a letter on Murdepedia that Dennis Rader wrote to the Newspaper where he talked about the sexual relief.

Josephine Otero, age 11, was the only victim that was hung. Most of his female victims were bound and strangled like Melissa.

Example

The following is purportedly the text of a 1978 letter, including spelling and grammatical errors:

I find the newspaper not writing about the poem on Vain unamusing. A little paragraph would have enough. Iknow it not the media fault. The Police Cheif he keep things quiet, and doesn't let the public know there a psycho running around lose strangling mostly women, there 7 in the ground; who will be next?

How many do I have to Kill before I get a name in the paper or some national attention. Do the cop think that all those deaths are not related? Golly -gee, yes the M.O. is different in each, but look a pattern is developing. The victims are tie up-most have been women-phone cut- bring some bondage mater sadist tendencies-no struggle, outside the death spot-no wintness except the Vain's Kids. They were very lucky; a phone call save them. I was go-ng to tape the boys and put plastics bag over there head like I did Joseph, and Shirley. And then hang the girl. God-oh God what a beautiful sexual relief that would been. Josephine,when I hung her really turn me on; her pleading for mercy then the rope took whole, she helpless; staring at me with wide terror fill eyes the rope getting tighter-tighter. You don't understand these things because your not underthe influence of factor x). The same thing that made Son of Sam, Jack the Ripper, Havery Glatman, Boston Strangler, Dr. H. H. Holmes Panty Hose Strangler OF Florida, Hillside Strangler, Ted of the West Coast and many more infamous character kill. Which seem s senseless, but we cannot help it. There is no help, no cure, except death or being caught and put away. It a terrible nightmarebut, you see I don't lose any sleep over it. After a thing like Fox I ccome home and go about life like anyone else. And I will be like that until the urge hit me again. It not continuous and I don;t have a lot of time. It take time to set a kill, one mistake and it all over. Since I about blew it on the phone-handwriting is out-letter guide is to long and typewriter can be traced too,.My short poem of death and maybe a drawing;later on real picture and maybe a tape of the sound will come your way. How will you know me. Before a murder or murders you will receive a copy of the initials B.T.K. , you keep that copy the original will show up some day on guess who? May you not be the unluck one!

P.S.
    How about some name for me, its time: 7 down and many more to go. I like the following How about you? 'THE B.T.K. STRANGLER', WICHITA STRANGLER', 'POETIC STRANGLER', 'THE BOND AGE STRANGLER' OR PSYCHO' THE WICHITA HANGMAN THE WICHITA EXECUTIONER, 'THE GAROTE PHATHOM', 'THE ASPHIXIATER'.
    B.T.K

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    teedie, does it matter if it's online as opposed to TV? Did you mean you wanted to see it?

We can call this guy......

http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_phill...-city-slaying/

Bonepile posted as well on the business fella.

You spoke so highly of it, yes, I did want to see it. I don't watch much tv, and don't even know how much coverage this might be getting where I live. I guess I've seen a snippet of the video on a couple of those videos at your link, so I'm ok with that. You are right, the picture I saw was very good quality, which is unusual. Thanks for your trouble.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to teedie2 For This Useful Post:

Reading the BTK letter, I had a moment of profound pity for the woman who slept next to him for 34 years.

And one, too, for Smith's partner.

I'd really not be so convinced he'd killled before, if not for the several quite ritualistic elements involved in Melissa's death, and the way Smith carried on blithely to the 'next job' and then went home, day done.

I think Smith would have calmly gone about his life like nothing happened at all - until the next time.

eta: And I think he totally looks like the park rapist sketch. Enough of a resemblance there, it made me blink anyhow. Hope the DNA's processed soon.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ausgirl For This Useful Post:

Latest from Philadelphia Inquirer including possible photo of suspect ...

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20..._carry_on.html

(Courtesy Philly.com 1-26-2013)
    "What I express here on this Forum is simply my own opinion"

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bonepile For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Bonepile for the link,

This was so big of her, what a wonderful person she was.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20..._carry_on.html

An endearing habit of Ketunuti's was to speak like the people she encountered in the hospital, Offit said.

When a mother was referencing her child's seizures, she pronounced the word "she-zures." Rather than correcting her, Ketunuti explained how she would help stop the "she-zures."

"Melissa was trying to make the woman comfortable," Offit said.
    Last edited by Elley Mae; 01-26-2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: edited to add thanks for link
    You don't know what you don't know.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elley Mae For This Useful Post:

I cannot even think of a scenario where she could (or would) belittle him or argue with him. What's there to argue about during a normal exterminator visit? And speaking as a small woman myself, even if there was something I was displeased with, I can't imagine getting confrontational in my house when I'm alone with a service man - that would be very awkward and not safe.

Could it be he was going through the house (as part of the service) and she found him going through the medicine cabinets and asked him to leave. Is he a current drug user or past?

It's always a bit unnerving having a service person come to your home if you are a female and nobody else is there with you.

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BrownRice For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrownRice View Post

Could it be he was going through the house (as part of the service) and she found him going through the medicine cabinets and asked him to leave. Is he a current drug user or past?
    Here you go Brown Rice:

"Speaking on condition that they not be identified, police investigators said Smith's statement, in which he said he "just snapped," included an admission that he was addicted to prescription painkillers and had a history of drug and alcohol abuse."

http://articles.philly.com/2013-01-2...lice-officials

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:

These are some unsolved cases in Bucks and Montgomery Counties..

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...167872435.html

26-year-old Natalie Marella from Ambler.

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-region...a/-/index.html

Jennifer Velez-Negron's burning body was found in a wooded area behind 75 Chestnut Hill Rd. In Salisbury Township on Dec. 27, the coroner said.

http://screen.yahoo.com/body-found-b...172700004.html

Police say the man found in a minivan in the Nicetown section of Philadelphia Thursday morning had been stabbed,

had his throat slashed and his wrist and ankles bound with duct tape.

http://emmaus.patch.com/articles/bur...unami-gun-club

A body found burning near Unami Fish and Game Club off Chestnut Hill Road in Salisbury Township Thursday morning was a white or light-skinned Hispanic woman age 20 to 40, according to the Lehigh County coroner.
    Last edited by Gracelin; 01-26-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: spelling

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gracelin For This Useful Post:

ScarlettScarpetta is offline I stand behind SoSueMe &all the A.D.M.I.N. / Mods working for the good of WS.
    I don't really believe people just snap. I believe it is a long work up to the act.

I keep thinking I would have way more info if it was spring. All us pick up moms and dads stand around and talk when it is nice as we wait for our kids to get out of school. Because it is so cold, We all just sit in our cars.

It won't be long when we will all be out at the fields watching our kids play. It just creeps me out that he could have been there too.

I was thinking last night. We are 10 mins away from an interstate and the turnpike. I am hoping that this man does not turn out to be some crazed long time killer. It just makes me ill.

ETA: I did read last night about verifying locals. I don't know how that works but am happy to provide ADMIN info if they need it.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ScarlettScarpetta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by teedie2 View Post
    You spoke so highly of it, yes, I did want to see it. I don't watch much tv, and don't even know how much coverage this might be getting where I live. I guess I've seen a snippet of the video on a couple of those videos at your link, so I'm ok with that. You are right, the picture I saw was very good quality, which is unusual. Thanks for your trouble.
    Any old time Teedie. No problem.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:

The woman that was found on Monday in the "lot" in Harrowgate was found around 5:30PM. I seriously didn't think this creep had anything to do with that given the location.

The story is half way down the page and gives alot of information. Given they are oddly out nowhere checking him against the guy who raped women in Pennypack I'm not so sure. That guy was mongering in Tacony. Why not down in Kensington?

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dncrime/

Note don't look at the lone comment because it will take you someplace that may make you sick. There's so many lousey creeps out there it defies logic.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gracelin View Post
    These are some unsolved cases in Bucks and Montgomery Counties..

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...167872435.html

26-year-old Natalie Marella from Ambler.

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-region...a/-/index.html

Jennifer Velez-Negron's burning body was found in a wooded area behind 75 Chestnut Hill Rd. In Salisbury Township on Dec. 27, the coroner said.

http://screen.yahoo.com/body-found-b...172700004.html

Police say the man found in a minivan in the Nicetown section of Philadelphia Thursday morning had been stabbed,

had his throat slashed and his wrist and ankles bound with duct tape.

http://emmaus.patch.com/articles/bur...unami-gun-club

A body found burning near Unami Fish and Game Club off Chestnut Hill Road in Salisbury Township Thursday morning was a white or light-skinned Hispanic woman age 20 to 40, according to the Lehigh County coroner.
    Just a little more on Jennifer Velez Negron, G. She was actually on the unidentified here.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...r+velez+negron

Poor girl.

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    The woman that was found on Monday in the "lot" in Harrowgate was found around 5:30PM. I seriously didn't think this creep had anything to do with that given the location.

The story is half way down the page and gives alot of information. Given they are oddly out nowhere checking him against the guy who raped women in Pennypack I'm not so sure. That guy was mongering in Tacony. Why not down in Kensington?

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dncrime/

Note don't look at the lone comment because it will take you someplace that may make you sick. There's so many lousey creeps out there it defies logic.
    Wow I did not follow the link in the comments.I hope this tipster is heard by LE.
    This is the same story that was headlined "Woman found on lawn" I don't think the reporter had ever been in that neighborhood.
    What a shame for her not to be missed, so sad.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gracelin For This Useful Post:

I'm curious as to what type of defense this murdering lunatic, Jason Smith, will use.

Does anyone know what the difference is between murder in the first degree, murder in the second degree, voluntary manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter? And how does temporary insanity come into play?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to bourne For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lithloren View Post
    When I first saw the news, the first thought I had was, "This is just like the BTK Killer."

Jason Smith did not "snap" and just do this. This was a sexual crime.

Dennis Rader would (B) bind, (T) torture through strangulation, the torture was he would strangle them, then allow them to gain consciousness so that they would know they were being murdered and then (K) kill them through strangulation.

He was much like this killer in the fact that he did not actually have sexual contact with his victims, but would masterbate next to the victim. This was before DNA, so he left his semen next to their bodies. Luckily, the samples were collected and saved all those years.

He also had ropes around their necks and would bind them with very intricate knots. I am sure he was able to do this quite well since he was a Boy Scout Leader.

He was married May 22, 1971. His first killing was January 15, 1974, where he murdered four members of the Otero family. At the time, he thought only the mother and young daughter would be home, but her husband and young son were also there.

Rader and his wife were married 34 years. They were both very active in their church. He was a Deacon in their church. After he murdered his neighbor of 30 years, Marine Hedge, he took her body to that same church and took pictures of her in different bondage poses. He actually left a Boy Scout outing to go kill Marine Hedge and then return. His wife had no idea. She thought her husband was at a Boy Scout outing.

Rader said he used to read those detective type magazines as a young boy, the ones where the girl was tied up on the front cover.

He said his idol was Harvey Glatman. A serial killer in the 1950's, that posed as a magazine photographer. The models allowed Harvey Glatman to tie them up based on the ruse that he was shooting pictures for the cover of one of these detective magazines.

All three of these men were/are into bondage and the sexual relief it gives them when they murder their victim. Dennis Rader goes into great detail about the sexual relief it offered him.

I do not believe this is his first victim, nor do I believe it would have been his last.
    Very in-ter-esting! I don't know if this was a sexual crime but I agree there was definitely malicious intent to harm/eradicate the victim. There have been no reports of semen found at the crime scene and according to LE, there was no sexual assault on Melissa.

I think JS' violent behaviors had been boiling and escalating for some time. I tend to believe he had acted violently in the past but just wasn't caught. As to whether he had murdered before, IDK. But I am pretty certain he had physically injured some person(s) in the past. I hope when they cross-reference all the unsolved cases of injured/maimed/dead victims -- likely all females since I think this lunatic is a misogynist with an inferiority complex -- they'll find that this murderer is the culprit.

I don't believe he killed because Melissa verbally insulted him. I think he distorted the truth in his own mind and to the police of what happened in order to provide a temporary insanity defense for himself and blame Melissa as the provocateur to his murdering actions.

31. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bourne For This Useful Post:

The definition of murder has evolved over several centuries. Under most modern statutes in the United States, murder comes in four varieties: (1) intentional murder; (2) a killing that resulted from the intent to do serious bodily injury; (3) a killing that resulted from a depraved heart or extreme recklessness; and (4) murder committed by an Accomplice during the commission of, attempt of, or flight from certain felonies.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...-degree+murder

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gracelin For This Useful Post:

Just wanted to say thank you for all the links to other cases, sleuthers. I'm going to be digging into non-fatal assaults as well this weekend, if I get time.

And Kensington.. funny how that place has come up in my digging for this case, over and again.. might be worth checking out some of those alternate family names Smith is associated with, over in that area. I am yet to find a concrete link, but if anyone can -- that'd be something.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ausgirl For This Useful Post:

I know if I had an appointment to meet an exterminator and he showed up I would have been fearful. I must say that the picture of him to me shows him to have a problem with some substance and I would be willing to bet that Melissa saw that as well. I do want to know what was said.
    You don't know what you don't know.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Elley Mae For This Useful Post:

I was married to Jason Smith's brother, Seneca, for 3 1/2 years, and we were together a total of 6 years. It boggles my mind that the man who was the best man at my wedding has done this horrible thing. I've slept under the same roof as him. To be honest, as shocked as I am, I am not surprised. He has had issues for many years. I also would not be surprised if he becomes a real suspect in other crimes. I am pretty sure his juvie record is sealed, but I know he has one.

Welcome to Webslueths tmelliott14. So very sorry that it has to be under these circumstances. It must be awful for your family. We welcome your input

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gracelin For This Useful Post:

Can you tell us, has he always lived in the Levittown area?

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Gracelin For This Useful Post:

Welcome T. I echo Gracelin and say I too am sorry it is under such horrific circumstances.

Glad that you are safe.

If it's O.K. to ask what is up with his Stockton area location?

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ausgirl View Post

And Kensington.. funny how that place has come up in my digging for this case, over and again..
    It will, Aus. It's a high crime area rife with drugs and prostitution. Sadly, not alot of attention goes into the murder of women there. I mean the lady was found in broad daylight naked save for a shirt on a lawn or alley or whatever the real locale was. Nothing. Nada. Not a peep.

46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrownRice View Post
    What's there to argue about during a normal exterminator visit? And speaking as a small woman myself, even if there was something I was displeased with, I can't imagine getting confrontational in my house when I'm alone with a service man - that would be very awkward and not safe.
    I recently went crazy on an exterminator....Scenario was, new apt (never apt dweller) and the bugs were really bad. The pest control guy came and to me he was my savior. He thought it funny and told me how he would spray my apt, they'd (the bugs) run upstairs, then just come back down..that's how he keeps his job. Needless to say, my Jersey attitude let loose and he could have killed me. He left when my bf heard me hollering and came inside and said "dude, she will hurt you". I am 5'6" - 115...and stupid as it is, I have got into with a few service men over my years. I may think before I speak from now on.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Fuze For This Useful Post:

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast