941 users online (182 members and 759 guests)  

Websleuths News

NY - Rape story to be on '60 Minutes', 2005

The military has a looong way to go in dealing with sex crimes. I have always thought that in a closed-off enviroment like the military or a private school or university, people seem to be able to get away with beahvior that would get them arrested in a New York minute if they did it in the "regular world". Stalking, bullying, harrasment, and even rapes went unreported for decades because the higher-ups don't want to tarnish their image.

OK-I'm sounding a bit paranoid....time for the pills....

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/n...y/10939508.htm

Rape story to be on '60 Minutes'

The ex-N.J. Guard officer took her case to TV. The officer she accuses faces court-martial in March.
    By John Curran
    Associated Press

MAYS LANDING, N.J. - A former New Jersey National Guard soldier at the center of a highly publicized rape case says the Army treated her like a criminal, sequestering her and berating her after she reported the incident.

Jennifer Dyer, 26, of Mays Landing, accused a fellow officer of raping her after leaving an officer's club in August at Camp Shelby, near Hattiesburg, Miss.

The man she accused, Lt. Michael Hall, is to go on trial next month in a court-martial proceeding in Fort Rucker, Ala. He contends that the sex was consensual.

In an interview to be broadcast tomorrow on 60 Minutes, Dyer - who has agreed to be identified by name - said she reported the incident immediately and was given medical treatment.

But she got a cool reception from Army investigators, who doubted her allegations and sequestered her in a hotel for three days without access to a telephone, she told correspondent Steve Kroft.

The Army "has done nothing but lie to me and treat me like a criminal," said Dyer, a former New Jersey National Guard lieutenant who attended Rowan University.

Dyer did not respond to requests for comment made yesterday through her attorney and through the Salem County Sheriff's Department, where she works.

Hall, 35, a National Guardsman from Tennessee, is a member of the 278th Regimental Combat Team, which Dyer was training with when the incident occurred. He has been charged with rape, conduct unbecoming an officer, and adultery under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

I didn't read anything in that article about the Colorado Airforce Academy.
    That scandal is HIDEOUS as well.
    I agree bbmcrae. Publicly acknowledging problems within our military would make us "look bad."
    TOO BAD.