920 users online (179 members and 741 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

CO - Officers arrested in shooting of beloved elk in Boulder, Colo.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...-boulder-colo/

BOULDER Two officers who are alleged to have killed a non-threatening elk while on duty have been arrested.

Boulder District Attorney Stan Garnett said Friday that officers Sam Carter and Brent Curnow were arrested on Friday and face multiple charges, including unlawful killing of elk, killing an elk out of season and conspiracy, CBS station KCNC in Boulder, Colo. reported............

A vigil was held for the elk, which had been called Big Boy, George and Elmo by the neighborhood. Some even said they considered the animal to be a "guardian" of the community. .........more at link.....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

2 Boulder Officers Face Felony Charges After Shooting Of Elk

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/01/1...ooting-of-elk/

BOULDER, Colo. (CBS4) – The district attorney in Boulder on Friday announced that his office is filing multiple charges against the two police officers involved in the killing of an elk in a neighborhood, an incident that led to an outcry from angered residents.

Sam Carter and Brent Curnow were both arrested on Friday after District Attorney Stan Garnett filed a warrant for their arrest. Garnett said he is taking this case seriously, and reached out to Colorado Parks and Wildlife for assistance as he built his case.

Both officers face three felony charges in addition to a number of misdemeanor charges..........

Beckner apologized for the “unfortunate incident” in a prepared statement released after Garnett’s announcement. He said that he intends “to hold these officers accountable for their actions.”

“Effective immediately, I have placed Sam Carter and Brent Curnow on unpaid administrative leave,” he wrote.............more at link.....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

I've followed this story a bit and there is more to the feelings of outrage concerning this incident. Start with 2-3 officer shooting family dog incidents in this state in the last couple months, one incident where it's clearly recorded the dog catcher guy had control of the dog and he was no threat to the officer. Then this happens.

One officer fires his duty weapon at a wild animal within city limits and kills the elk.

This officer then calls his buddy to come collect the elk and butcher it for they're freezers.

This officer does not report the discharge of his work weapon to his superiors as required by law/regulation.
    This officer does not report an elk he alleges is aggressive and wounded to the department of wild life officials as required by law.
    This officer does not report killing elk to either his superiors or DOW as required by law/regulation.
    This officer shot this elk within city limits and it's illegal to hunt within city limits.
    It's not hunting season.
    This incident only comes to light because residents reported it. Apparently this elk is something of a neighborhood regular and at last sighting was not injured, sick or aggressive.

Now while I do love animals, I do draw the line at having a vigil for this poor animal. This elk was huge, and the picture that was posted by one of the tv stations shows it to have had a huge rack. I do feel that the officers involved broke many laws, I feel he saw a great rack and fired. I feel that if the elk was injured and aggressive as he later claims (remember it's to late to verify because he had it butchered right away), he would have followed the law/procedures established with DOW, made the proper notifications and reports and not hid the evidence in his freezer. Poaching is just one of the laws he broke....I hope they both get the max allowed because I think cops should be held to a higher standard than the rest of us or else what would the point be in them enforcing the laws they don't follow.
    imo, jmo, imho and all that stuff

A couple of comments:
    - I'm not a hunter but know quite a few. If you are hunting, you are supposed to kill the animal with a single shot. Maiming the animal is considered inhumane (and yes, hunters do care about this stuff.)
    - It's generally illegal *period* to use pistols/handguns to hunt big game largely for this reason, since they don't have the power of a rifle.
    - Assuming the officer used his service pistol, this elk must have been tame indeed since he'd have to be relatively close to be able to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steft50 View Post
    I've followed this story a bit and there is more to the feelings of outrage concerning this incident. Start with 2-3 officer shooting family dog incidents in this state in the last couple months, one incident where it's clearly recorded the dog catcher guy had control of the dog and he was no threat to the officer. Then this happens.

One officer fires his duty weapon at a wild animal within city limits and kills the elk.

This officer then calls his buddy to come collect the elk and butcher it for they're freezers.

This officer does not report the discharge of his work weapon to his superiors as required by law/regulation.
    This officer does not report an elk he alleges is aggressive and wounded to the department of wild life officials as required by law.
    This officer does not report killing elk to either his superiors or DOW as required by law/regulation.
    This officer shot this elk within city limits and it's illegal to hunt within city limits.
    It's not hunting season.
    This incident only comes to light because residents reported it. Apparently this elk is something of a neighborhood regular and at last sighting was not injured, sick or aggressive.

Now while I do love animals, I do draw the line at having a vigil for this poor animal. This elk was huge, and the picture that was posted by one of the tv stations shows it to have had a huge rack. I do feel that the officers involved broke many laws, I feel he saw a great rack and fired. I feel that if the elk was injured and aggressive as he later claims (remember it's to late to verify because he had it butchered right away), he would have followed the law/procedures established with DOW, made the proper notifications and reports and not hid the evidence in his freezer. Poaching is just one of the laws he broke....I hope they both get the max allowed because I think cops should be held to a higher standard than the rest of us or else what would the point be in them enforcing the laws they don't follow.
    Thanks for the additional information....I agree and regarding the BBM above, it seems they planned this killing...nothing in their texts to each other (how stupid) that night mention the elk being aggressive...I think that's just their excuse...here's part of the texts from the link above:

The arrest affidavit in the case released Friday showed some of the text messages prosecutors say the two officers exchanged that night.

“Should I go hunting?”

“Did you shoot him?”

“Too many people right now.”

“You gonna be able to help butcher it? Or are you gonna go home sick?”

You know, there is something really wrong with someone who would do this. There just is.

More mental police officers, just what the world needs.
    All posts from me are MY OPINION ONLY

A vigil for an elk...comparing an elk's death to the murders of 20 children...Why am I not surprised this happened in Boulder....

This is beginning to remind me of an old South Park episode ("He's coming right towards us!")

I had not read the texts...wow....now I really really want them to throw the book at these guys and I'm glad they have resigned (today I think), although they should be fired for cause imo. I would post the pic that has been released but it's a pic the cops took after they killed it showing off the rack.
    imo, jmo, imho and all that stuff

Quote Originally Posted by eileenhawkeye View Post
    A vigil for an elk...comparing an elk's death to the murders of 20 children...Why am I not surprised this happened in Boulder....
    I feel they're comparable. Living beings and all. I don't put human life above animal life. You won't see an elk barging into a school shooting everyone or killing their own family.

Besides the vigil they also had a silent walk with the exception of elk mating calls on their iphones. I am not even kidding. Only in Boulder.

Quote Originally Posted by michmi View Post
    I feel they're comparable. Living beings and all. I don't put human life above animal life. You won't see an elk barging into a school shooting everyone or killing their own family.
    One elk's death = the murder of 20 children?

Do you think someone who kills an elk should get the same punishment as someone who kills a child; LWOP or DP?

Quote Originally Posted by eileenhawkeye View Post
    One elk's death = the murder of 20 children?

Do you think someone who kills an elk should get the same punishment as someone who kills a child; LWOP or DP?
    I didn't address punishment at all, there are laws for that. IMO both are living beings and their deaths are equally upsetting to me.

Again, I do not value human life more than animal life. I value LIFE period.