Weird Spinning Star Defies Explanation

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.wunderground.com/news/weird-spinning-star-20130124

Scientists have discovered a puzzling spinning star that is spontaneously switching between two very different personalities, flipping between emitting strong X-rays and emitting intense radio waves.

While radio frequencies are known to vary as the star changes personalities, the newfound star is the first time example of variability in X-rays as well. The star, called a pulsar because it appears to pulse, has astronomers perplexed.

"When we look now to what is so far published in papers, nothing at this moment can explain what is happening," said the study's lead author, Wim Hermsen of the Netherlands Institute for Space Research and the University of Amsterdam.

More at link.....

picture.php

That's fascinating Reader thank you!

That's fascinating Reader thank you!

I don't believe I understand a single word of it! (But I appreciate Reader and Kat because they do.)

But I know that "5 million years old" is very young in terms of the age of the universe. Is that a typo or could the spinning and alternating pulses be part of the birth process?

I don't believe I understand a single word of it! (But I appreciate Reader and Kat because they do.)

But I know that "5 million years old" is very young in terms of the age of the universe. Is that a typo or could the spinning and alternating pulses be part of the birth process?

Agreed...don't really understand it. Birth process makes sense to me.

Will we ever find the 'end' and 'beginning' of the universe? This question has plagued me since I was 8 years old.

Are they sure it is a star? Haven't seen kimster lately . . .

Agreed...don't really understand it. Birth process makes sense to me.

Will we ever find the 'end' and 'beginning' of the universe? This question has plagued me since I was 8 years old.

I'd let that dream go, if I were you.

They now think there are infinite universes, so we'll never know when they all began or when they will all end. :great:

I believe a pulsar is a neutron star that's a remnant of a supernova that isn't massive enough to produce a black hole. Regarding the age, I don't know how that was determined but they apparently have some way of figuring it out - guessing some sort of half-life business maybe. It would have been a large "regular" star though before it ran out of fuel and went supernova - that's my understanding anyway.

I believe a pulsar is a neutron star that's a remnant of a supernova that isn't massive enough to produce a black hole. Regarding the age, I don't know how that was determined but they apparently have some way of figuring it out - guessing some sort of half-life business maybe. It would have been a large "regular" star though before it ran out of fuel and went supernova - that's my understanding anyway.

So assuming the "5 million year" age is correct, it would refer to the length of time since the supernova, not the length of time of the entity in all forms. Yes?

No Nova I don't understand most of it. :) I wish I did though!

But, I found it fascinating because it's a new discovery! The discovery of this star challanges everything they thought they knew about stars.

I can't wait until they figure out (if they figure it out) why it's doing this. What is making it categorically different from other pulsars?

Here's another article:

http://www.astronomy.com/~/link.aspx?_id=418c617f-ff97-4a7c-b34b-6f6c72ae6049

It is the first time that a switching X-ray emission has been detected from a pulsar, and the properties of this emission are unexpectedly puzzling. As no current model is able to explain this switching behavior, which occurs within only a few seconds, these observations have reopened the debate about the physical mechanisms powering the emission from pulsars.

and...

In the meantime, these observations will keep theoretical astrophysicists busy investigating possible physical mechanisms that could cause the sudden and drastic changes to the pulsar’s entire magnetosphere and result in such a curious emission.

Looks like they will have to rethink their theories. I find that fascinating when a theory is found in need to be reworked---don't ask me why I do, I just do :)

So assuming the "5 million year" age is correct, it would refer to the length of time since the supernova, not the length of time of the entity in all forms. Yes?

That would be my guess which is worth close to what you paid for it.:waitasec:

No Nova I don't understand most of it. :) I wish I did though!

But, I found it fascinating because it's a new discovery! The discovery of this star challanges everything they thought they knew about stars.

I can't wait until they figure out (if they figure it out) why it's doing this. What is making it categorically different from other pulsars?

Here's another article:

http://www.astronomy.com/~/link.aspx?_id=418c617f-ff97-4a7c-b34b-6f6c72ae6049

and...

Looks like they will have to rethink their theories. I find that fascinating when a theory is found in need to be reworked---don't ask me why I do, I just do :)

Thanks for the link, Kat! and I can assure Nova and you that I don't understand it all either....like you thought it was very interesting that the scientists are stumped too...back to the drawing board to learn more about the stars!

Regarding the age, I don't know how that was determined but they apparently have some way of figuring it out - guessing some sort of half-life business maybe.

According to the link that Kat posted, they can determine the age by how much the star has cooled. Apparently they know how hot a neutron star, as per its size, is right after the supernova and the rate of cooling. Perhaps some astrophysicist can chime in to clarify.

...Looks like they will have to rethink their theories. I find that fascinating when a theory is found in need to be reworked---don't ask me why I do, I just do :)

I'm no atheist, but that's why science is ultimately more beautiful and exciting than religious dogma: ideas must evolve as new evidence is discovered!

What a paean to the Creator are the wonders of the observable universe!

Confidential to Reader: Thanks to various probes and recent work that has discovered over 400 planets in nearby solar systems, scientists have been "going back to the drawing board" a lot lately! I am finding all the unmanned discovery far more exciting than trying to send human beings into unforgivably hostile environments.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back