727 users online (107 members and 620 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Exclamation Vomiting Virus

Dubbed the “vomiting virus,” a new strain of norovirus is sweeping the US right now — and the already unpleasant illness has presented in a new strain.
    Last edited by Harmony 2; 01-18-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

I read a similar story a few days ago. IIRC there are 140 or have been 140 cases in the US since September.

I am feeling a little skeptical about the media push regarding this fwiw.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Is this what they used to call "freshman year at college"?

Pass the sick bucket. Ahead of time, just in case.

I tried to open the article and read it but it froze my computer up. I did manage to see the first few paragraphs and from what I could read, this is just an article written in the scandal rag style of the Enquirer. I saw a elgitimate news story about this virus a few days ago. It is a typical Norovirus that is hitting hard because it has come here apparently from Sydney AU, and is called The Sydney Virus due to that.

I don't put any credence in stories from sources like this- they're just drama. Continue to take precautions-this one seems worse because it is new and people don't have any immunity to it.

A new strain of norovirus called GII.4

For Immediate Release: Thursday, January 24, 2012

New norovirus strain causing most norovirus outbreaks in United States : Not yet known if strain will cause more outbreaks than previous years

snipped...“The new strain spread rapidly across the United States from September to December 2012,” said Dr. Aron Hall, epidemiologist, CDC’s Division of Viral Diseases (DVD). “The proportion of reported outbreaks caused by this strain increased dramatically from 19 percent in September to 58 percent in December.”

Read more: http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/20...norovirus.html

Notes from the Field: Emergence of New Norovirus Strain GII.4 Sydney — United States, 2012
    January 25, 2013

Additional info: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6203a4.htm
    Don't believe EVERYTHING you think.

Quote Originally Posted by tarabull View Post
    For Immediate Release: Thursday, January 24, 2012

New norovirus strain causing most norovirus outbreaks in United States : Not yet known if strain will cause more outbreaks than previous years

snipped...“The new strain spread rapidly across the United States from September to December 2012,” said Dr. Aron Hall, epidemiologist, CDC’s Division of Viral Diseases (DVD). “The proportion of reported outbreaks caused by this strain increased dramatically from 19 percent in September to 58 percent in December.”

Read more: http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/20...norovirus.html

Notes from the Field: Emergence of New Norovirus Strain GII.4 Sydney — United States, 2012
    January 25, 2013

Additional info: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6203a4.htm
    So the CDC basically says what the media was saying. That is a huge jump, but even if it doesnt surpass other outbreaks in numbers, it sounds like truly horrible, horrible virus to endure.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Yes, the CDC is saying this is a bad virus; the "Sidney" strain was identified last year, and has come from Sidney, Australia, across the globe...and because it's new, there is little to no immunity to it.

As with most noroviruses, the biggest threat is dehydration. I know I'm always harping on drinking your water and keeping your fluids up...but did you know that dehydration can cause a heart attack? And did you know that by the time you feel thirsty, you're already well on your way to dehydration?

Especially when vomiting and having diarrhea, dehydration is a significant concern...so, as usual, water, water, water. If you're having a hard time keeping it down, drink room temperature or slightly warm water (and juice, too). Stay away from caffeine (coffee, tea and sodas) as caffiene is a diuretic (meaning makes you pee = dehydration). Fruits can be eaten, too...the juicier the better (think oranges).

But if you can't keep anything down, and feel as if you're getting dehydrated, go into the ER...they'll give you a bag of fluids in your veins if necessary to keep you stable.

And, also as always, wash your hands...we have so many newfangled things like little antiseptic dispensers that fit in your pocket and/or purse, but good ol' handwashing is probably the single best thing to keep from getting ill.

I am kinda glad I haven't had a lot of energy lately...keeps me inside, and away from folks who are ill. And away from folks who are NOT ill themselves, but are carriers of an illness or contaminated by it somehow.

Sigh.

Best-
    Herding Cats
    When you find yourself in the position to help somebody, do not feel burdened. Rather, feel happy and blessed because God is answering that person's prayer through you. In that moment, you are God's Angel - His door to reach through and bring light to someone who is struggling in the darkness.

Be God's Light. Be God's love. Be an answered prayer. Be God's Door.

Yes- what HC is saying.

Basically this is your typical stomach(Noro)virus. What is making it worse is that because it is new to the US we have no immunity to it as we do with others.

The article in the OP was dramatizing things in the style of a gossip/scandal paper rather than presenting a factual artical. I mean really- a picture of a model haning over a toilet?? That isn't neccessary and it's disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by killarney rose View Post
    Yes- what HC is saying.

Basically this is your typical stomach(Noro)virus. What is making it worse is that because it is new to the US we have no immunity to it as we do with others.

The article in the OP was dramatizing things in the style of a gossip/scandal paper rather than presenting a factual artical. I mean really- a picture of a model haning over a toilet?? That isn't neccessary and it's disgusting.
    I thought that was called buliemia
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

This thing is no joke and I can attest. This sucker debilitated my household (except for 12 yr old DD) for a good solid week. and vomiting is not the only issue involved if you follow my meaning.

It is awful, to the point where you wonder if you might die. I kid you not.

When literally not a teaspoon of water will stay down and you vomit, etc to the point where you are so weak you cannot move, it is scary scary.

Take it seriously folks and if you get this thing and get to that point of weakness, DO go to the hospital. Dehydration is a serious serious concern with this one. For real.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Quote Originally Posted by tlcya View Post
    This thing is no joke and I can attest. This sucker debilitated my household (except for 12 yr old DD) for a good solid week. and vomiting is not the only issue involved if you follow my meaning.

It is awful, to the point where you wonder if you might die. I kid you not.

When literally not a teaspoon of water will stay down and you vomit, etc to the point where you are so weak you cannot move, it is scary scary.

Take it seriously folks and if you get this thing and get to that point of weakness, DO go to the hospital. Dehydration is a serious serious concern with this one. For real.
    I had a variation of this, with the exact description of the symptoms, several years ago. I couldn't hold anything down. I remember thinking I wished I was sick from over drinking, at least then it would be over much sooner. It was horrible and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. I think the worst of it lasted a good 6-8 hours if not a little more.

I'm just glad to have seen this thread so we can take extra precautions.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Yeah, with this sucker, the "worst" of it lasted 3 days. 3 days of continuous vomiting, etc. Followed by several days where you were sometimes feeling like you could be up moving, and try to eat something only to be slammed back into vomit mode suddenly and unexpectedly and back down you go. That part lasted for 4 to 5 days.

awful. Would not wish this on my worst enemy (if I had any)
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Awwww wfgodot. sick bucket ???
    Now I think I am going to throw up.

I'm guessing that's like an airbag.

Quote Originally Posted by noZme View Post
    Awwww wfgodot. sick bucket ???
    Now I think I am going to throw up.

I'm guessing that's like an airbag.
    Would "vomit pail" work better? lol

I'm a big San Antonio Spurs fan and the coach, Gregg Popovich, who NEVER misses a game - can't think of one he's missed in the ten years I've been a fan - has missed the last two and may miss another. Not specifically sure if he has the 'vomit virus' per se, but I'm thinking that's very likely the case. Get well, Pop!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast