Vomiting Virus

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Dubbed the “vomiting virus,” a new strain of norovirus is sweeping the US right now — and the already unpleasant illness has presented in a new strain.

Read more at http://www./495019/vomiting-virus-rapidly-spreading-cdc-warns/#fTb218XzArTSzDHy.99

I read a similar story a few days ago. IIRC there are 140 or have been 140 cases in the US since September.

I am feeling a little skeptical about the media push regarding this fwiw.

Is this what they used to call "freshman year at college"?

Pass the sick bucket. Ahead of time, just in case.

I tried to open the article and read it but it froze my computer up. I did manage to see the first few paragraphs and from what I could read, this is just an article written in the scandal rag style of the Enquirer. I saw a elgitimate news story about this virus a few days ago. It is a typical Norovirus that is hitting hard because it has come here apparently from Sydney AU, and is called The Sydney Virus due to that.

I don't put any credence in stories from sources like this- they're just drama. Continue to take precautions-this one seems worse because it is new and people don't have any immunity to it.

For Immediate Release: Thursday, January 24, 2012

New norovirus strain causing most norovirus outbreaks in United States : Not yet known if strain will cause more outbreaks than previous years

snipped...“The new strain spread rapidly across the United States from September to December 2012,” said Dr. Aron Hall, epidemiologist, CDC’s Division of Viral Diseases (DVD). “The proportion of reported outbreaks caused by this strain increased dramatically from 19 percent in September to 58 percent in December.”

Read more: http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2013/p0125_norovirus.html

Notes from the Field: Emergence of New Norovirus Strain GII.4 Sydney — United States, 2012
January 25, 2013

Additional info: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6203a4.htm

For Immediate Release: Thursday, January 24, 2012

New norovirus strain causing most norovirus outbreaks in United States : Not yet known if strain will cause more outbreaks than previous years

snipped...“The new strain spread rapidly across the United States from September to December 2012,” said Dr. Aron Hall, epidemiologist, CDC’s Division of Viral Diseases (DVD). “The proportion of reported outbreaks caused by this strain increased dramatically from 19 percent in September to 58 percent in December.”

Read more: http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2013/p0125_norovirus.html

Notes from the Field: Emergence of New Norovirus Strain GII.4 Sydney — United States, 2012
January 25, 2013

Additional info: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6203a4.htm

So the CDC basically says what the media was saying. That is a huge jump, but even if it doesnt surpass other outbreaks in numbers, it sounds like truly horrible, horrible virus to endure.

Yes, the CDC is saying this is a bad virus; the "Sidney" strain was identified last year, and has come from Sidney, Australia, across the globe...and because it's new, there is little to no immunity to it.

As with most noroviruses, the biggest threat is dehydration. I know I'm always harping on drinking your water and keeping your fluids up...but did you know that dehydration can cause a heart attack? And did you know that by the time you feel thirsty, you're already well on your way to dehydration?

Especially when vomiting and having diarrhea, dehydration is a significant concern...so, as usual, water, water, water. If you're having a hard time keeping it down, drink room temperature or slightly warm water (and juice, too). Stay away from caffeine (coffee, tea and sodas) as caffiene is a diuretic (meaning makes you pee = dehydration). Fruits can be eaten, too...the juicier the better (think oranges).

But if you can't keep anything down, and feel as if you're getting dehydrated, go into the ER...they'll give you a bag of fluids in your veins if necessary to keep you stable.

And, also as always, wash your hands...we have so many newfangled things like little antiseptic dispensers that fit in your pocket and/or purse, but good ol' handwashing is probably the single best thing to keep from getting ill.

I am kinda glad I haven't had a lot of energy lately...keeps me inside, and away from folks who are ill. And away from folks who are NOT ill themselves, but are carriers of an illness or contaminated by it somehow.

Sigh.

Best-
Herding Cats

Yes- what HC is saying.

Basically this is your typical stomach(Noro)virus. What is making it worse is that because it is new to the US we have no immunity to it as we do with others.

The article in the OP was dramatizing things in the style of a gossip/scandal paper rather than presenting a factual artical. I mean really- a picture of a model haning over a toilet?? That isn't neccessary and it's disgusting.

Yes- what HC is saying.

Basically this is your typical stomach(Noro)virus. What is making it worse is that because it is new to the US we have no immunity to it as we do with others.

The article in the OP was dramatizing things in the style of a gossip/scandal paper rather than presenting a factual artical. I mean really- a picture of a model haning over a toilet?? That isn't neccessary and it's disgusting.

I thought that was called buliemia

This thing is no joke and I can attest. This sucker debilitated my household (except for 12 yr old DD) for a good solid week. and vomiting is not the only issue involved if you follow my meaning.

It is awful, to the point where you wonder if you might die. I kid you not.

When literally not a teaspoon of water will stay down and you vomit, etc to the point where you are so weak you cannot move, it is scary scary.

Take it seriously folks and if you get this thing and get to that point of weakness, DO go to the hospital. Dehydration is a serious serious concern with this one. For real.

This thing is no joke and I can attest. This sucker debilitated my household (except for 12 yr old DD) for a good solid week. and vomiting is not the only issue involved if you follow my meaning.

It is awful, to the point where you wonder if you might die. I kid you not.

When literally not a teaspoon of water will stay down and you vomit, etc to the point where you are so weak you cannot move, it is scary scary.

Take it seriously folks and if you get this thing and get to that point of weakness, DO go to the hospital. Dehydration is a serious serious concern with this one. For real.

I had a variation of this, with the exact description of the symptoms, several years ago. I couldn't hold anything down. I remember thinking I wished I was sick from over drinking, at least then it would be over much sooner. It was horrible and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. I think the worst of it lasted a good 6-8 hours if not a little more.

I'm just glad to have seen this thread so we can take extra precautions.

Yeah, with this sucker, the "worst" of it lasted 3 days. 3 days of continuous vomiting, etc. Followed by several days where you were sometimes feeling like you could be up moving, and try to eat something only to be slammed back into vomit mode suddenly and unexpectedly and back down you go. That part lasted for 4 to 5 days.

awful. Would not wish this on my worst enemy (if I had any)

Awwww wfgodot. sick bucket ???
Now I think I am going to throw up.

I'm guessing that's like an airbag.

Awwww wfgodot. sick bucket ???
Now I think I am going to throw up.

I'm guessing that's like an airbag.
Would "vomit pail" work better? lol

I'm a big San Antonio Spurs fan and the coach, Gregg Popovich, who NEVER misses a game - can't think of one he's missed in the ten years I've been a fan - has missed the last two and may miss another. Not specifically sure if he has the 'vomit virus' per se, but I'm thinking that's very likely the case. Get well, Pop!

We dealt with this new vomiting virus for the last two weekends. First my almost 2 yr old had it, then I caught it, passed it to my sister in law, and then it passed to my 6 year old. I literally spent the better half of 8 days in my bed and on my toilet. I don't remember ever being that sick before.....EVER!
I wasn't to the point of wanting to die (as I had been when I was suffering gallbladder attacks years ago) but I could see how others would feel that way.

Some of you that had what you think is the stomach virus for long periods- like a week or more , might really hav had the flu- influenza, not stomach flu- there is no such thing as stomach flu. But when I had it, I landed in the ER and they did the flu test- that was it. My own dr told me it was stomach(noro) virus because it was all nausea, diarreah, extreme weakness and feeling like I was dying. So its possible thats what you really had.

Well I just got out of the hospital for the 2nd time in two months. I have enough steroids and antibiotics to win the tour de france, I doubt if there is a germ, virus, flu on earth that could survive my system right now. So bring it on.

Yeah, with this sucker, the "worst" of it lasted 3 days. 3 days of continuous vomiting, etc. Followed by several days where you were sometimes feeling like you could be up moving, and try to eat something only to be slammed back into vomit mode suddenly and unexpectedly and back down you go. That part lasted for 4 to 5 days.

awful. Would not wish this on my worst enemy (if I had any)

Oh no, and I thought the single day was seriously worse than labor and c-section recovery. So total time from start to finish for this new one is about 7-8 days?

Oh no. It's going to be lots of hand washing for us.

This isn't airborne transmission at all, is it?

from the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/features/norovirus/

Norovirus can spread quickly from person to person in crowded, closed places like long-term care facilities, daycare centers, schools, hotels, and cruise ships.

Noroviruses can also be a major cause of gastroenteritis in restaurants and catered-meal settings if contaminated food is served.

The viruses are found in the vomit and stool of infected people. You can get it by
Eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus (someone gets stool or vomit on their hands, then touches food or drink).

Touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus and then putting your hand or fingers in your mouth.

Having direct contact with a person who is infected with norovirus (for example, when caring for someone with norovirus or sharing foods or eating utensils with them).

People with norovirus illness are contagious from the moment they begin feeling sick until at least 3 days after they recover. But, some people may be contagious for even longer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L1752
Back