1214 users online (248 members and 966 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,799

    Boy Expelled From School After Wearing Mohawk

    Teen Doesn't Think His Hair Is Disruptive

    POSTED: 4:43 pm EST February 21, 2005

    ASHTABULA, Ohio -- Josh Pauley said his new haircut allows him to be an individual and express himself, but it also got him expelled from school, NewsChannel5 reported.

    Conneaut High School Principal John Plosila said he gave the 9th-grader plenty of chances to comply with the school's dress guidelines, but Pauley refused.

    WEWS asked him why he didn't change his hairstyle along with the red dye in the front.

    " 'Cause I was being discriminated against. So many other people wear bare midriffs and mini-skirts and tattoos. They have facial piercings and holes in their ears that are big. And they send me home for my hair. I don't think it's right."

    Plosila said the dress code states hair should not be of an unnatural color or of any style that could be disruptive.

    "We enforce the dress code, and we enforce it evenly for all students," said Plosila. "There are some things we may overlook. Piercings are not an issue for us."

    For now, Pauley and his Mohawk are out of school for the remainder of the year.

    "It's ridiculous," Pauley said.

    WEWS reported Pauley's parents are trying to enroll him in an online charter school and they are shopping for an attorney.

    His parents are not thrilled with the haircut either.

    "But he's an individual and we didn't feel it was hurting anything," said Theresa Pauley, Pauley's stepmother.

    http://www.newsnet5.com/education/4217850/detail.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    886
    I agree with the parents. My hubby adn I have decided that of all the ways our daughter could act out as a teen, we will not argue about hair no matter how terrible we think it looks. It is one thing that is not permanent and can be used to express oneself. However, if the school dress code plainly states no dye, then the red part would have to go. I would only think the mokawk would be disruptive for a couple of days and then kids would be used to it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,799
    I thought they took this to the supreme court in the 70's and it was decided that the school couldn't mandate the hairstyle?

    IMO Neither the hair nor the dye will be permanent- both will grow out eventually. Let the kid be and he will outgrow it- probably.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,910
    I disagree with the parents in this case. Right now, SCHOOL is this kids' job, his responsibility. If his look is causing him to not be able to perform that function, it should be changed. Kids seem to think they have a right to look a certain way and that society has to adapt to that, they're wrong.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    I disagree with the parents in this case. Right now, SCHOOL is this kids' job, his responsibility. If his look is causing him to not be able to perform that function, it should be changed. Kids seem to think they have a right to look a certain way and that society has to adapt to that, they're wrong.
    You are TOUGH Jeana!
    I do agree with the parents though. I don't see it as damaging at all. As long as the child goes to school, makes his grades, and stays out of trouble, I don't see any harm. I think it is sad that kids loose all of thier constitutional rights when they enter the school.
    I think it is good for him that his parents are behind him though.
    My dad would have been more on your wave though. I would have been grounded for sure.
    I completely understand his frustration about the stomachs showing and all of the peircings- and I don't buy the "we don't have issues with peircings, but with hair" bit...
    At least this kid is learning how to be his own person. You should see my little snowboard groms. Talk about crazy hair! All colors of the rainbow, and mohawks galore... They love it! It makes them feel independent and spontaneous and "tough". They even think it makes them snowboard better!
    They are such dolls! These kids have lots of frustration, and I think the hair is a kind of outlet for them. At least they are out there getting crazy with their hair and on a snowboard, and not getting in to trouble...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,910
    Most teachers these days have too much else to worry about. They shouldn't have to deal with a kids' hairdo causing trouble at school.

    I've got three kids in all ages, and I don't think that too many children have trouble learning how to be their own people. However, when all they've got to do is go to school, get decent grades and stick to the rules applied therein, I seriously doubt that they're being stiffled. I explain exactly to my children what's expected of them during the school year. If they can't wear it at school, they can't wear it. Period. However, I would let them do anything they wanted to their hair during the summer months. I also told my sons that they can get their ears pierced as long as they do it early enough in the summer that they can take out the earrings before school and it won't close up. I also pay my children for A's grades earned. School being their jobs, I think they deserve that. Most of my kids' friends think they have it super easy because my kids don't really have any chores to do. Most of their friends spend a couple hours or more each week just doing chores at home. As long as my kids keep their rooms picked up, I let them housekeeper clean the rest of their rooms.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    I disagree with the parents in this case. Right now, SCHOOL is this kids' job, his responsibility. If his look is causing him to not be able to perform that function, it should be changed. Kids seem to think they have a right to look a certain way and that society has to adapt to that, they're wrong.
    They DO have a right to look how they want to. Take a look at the 1st Amendment. If you don't like how they look, don't look at them.
    His hair does not affect his or his classmate's ability to learn or perform their school work.
    I may not like it if a 300lb woman wears a mini skirt and tube top but that's MY problem, not hers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,910
    Quote Originally Posted by princessmer81
    They DO have a right to look how they want to. Take a look at the 1st Amendment. If you don't like how they look, don't look at them.
    His hair does not affect his or his classmate's ability to learn or perform their school work.
    I may not like it if a 300lb woman wears a mini skirt and tube top but that's MY problem, not hers.

    Sure he does!! He can look any way he likes. Right now, he's looking like that FROM THE PARKING LOT - now no one has to look at him!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4,139
    Quote Originally Posted by princessmer81
    They DO have a right to look how they want to. Take a look at the 1st Amendment. If you don't like how they look, don't look at them.
    So there should be no rules at school regarding hairstyles or clothing? What about the current situation where the schools are enforcing no pants that slide down exposing underwear? Isn't there some reasonable place the line should be drawn for what's appropriate and what's not? I'm not sure the 1st Amendment protects high school children from dressing appropriately while they're in school.

    His hair does not affect his or his classmate's ability to learn or perform their school work.
    How do you know that? I didn't read it in the article. Evidently the teachers or the principal, or both, thought it was disruptive enough to expel him. I'm not sure how other kids were reacting to him because I didn't see that mentioned.

    I may not like it if a 300lb woman wears a mini skirt and tube top but that's MY problem, not hers.
    It would be her problem if she wore it to this high school, LOL.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    5,940
    Schools can and should enforse dress codes etc. IMO all schools should have uniforms as well as standards for hair, make-up etc. Yes, children like to express themselves, but there comes a time (especially by high school age) when they need to learn what is appropriate and what is not appropriate. If two 18 year old apply for the same job, have exact same ability, attitude, GPA etc, yet one has a purple mohawk and pierced eyebrows and the other is clean cut and well dressed, who do you suppose will be hired?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,910
    I would think that bare midrifs and miniskirts would be more distracting than a red mohawk. I finally allowed my son to be the one giving instructions to the barber ladt time we were there, about a week and a half ago. This past Saturday he was begging for another haircut because even he was sick of it. I love it when things work out like that.


    "Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler".

    Albert Einstein


    “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”.

    Mahatma Gandhi

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,384
    As as everyone who has seen my pic knows I am a fan of the mohawk! : )
    ***HOWEVER*** Now that Im also a Mom my view is this........If it is against school policy DONT DO IT!
    I myself got kicked out of high school for the way I looked.Did my parents sue the school? No. I homeschooled until I found a school where it wasnt an issue (the school I got kicked out of was a very conservative,small high school).They shouldve made me change my hair *but* thats a whole different story I digress.........

    My son wants a mohawk and I told him no because-TA DA!-its against the rules.
    School is not the place for "expressing yourself".That is done the 82% of the time youre not in school.
    The school also doesnt allow "unnatural" hair color so my son is only allowed to color his hair during the summer.Hes an honor student btw and understands that his #1 priority now is school.He has joking called me "hypocritical" but he also seems to understand I have only his best interests at heart and is a great kid.
    He can be "cool" but not during school hours-period.
    Children do not have "rights" as adults do.These parents either need to teach their son this fact as well as teaching personal responsibilty or put their son in another school-period.
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,910
    Quote Originally Posted by messiecake
    As as everyone who has seen my pic knows I am a fan of the mohawk! : )
    ***HOWEVER*** Now that Im also a Mom my view is this........If it is against school policy DONT DO IT!
    I myself got kicked out of high school for the way I looked.Did my parents sue the school? No. I homeschooled until I found a school where it wasnt an issue (the school I got kicked out of was a very conservative,small high school).They shouldve made me change my hair *but* thats a whole different story I digress.........

    My son wants a mohawk and I told him no because-TA DA!-its against the rules.
    School is not the place for "expressing yourself".That is done the 82% of the time youre not in school.
    The school also doesnt allow "unnatural" hair color so my son is only allowed to color his hair during the summer.Hes an honor student btw and understands that his #1 priority now is school.He has joking called me "hypocritical" but he also seems to understand I have only his best interests at heart and is a great kid.
    He can be "cool" but not during school hours-period.
    Children do not have "rights" as adults do.These parents either need to teach their son this fact as well as teaching personal responsibilty or put their son in another school-period.


    Funny - its always us parents of honor students who feel this way.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    Funny - its always us parents of honor students who feel this way.

    Yeah Ive noticed this too............ You dont think theres a connection do you????

    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,910
    Quote Originally Posted by messiecake
    Yeah Ive noticed this too............ You dont think theres a connection do you????


    God, I hope so!!! LOL Its serious hard work!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast