GUILTY CA - Dr. Ronald Gilbert, 52, murdered at his Newport Beach office, 28 Jan 2013

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/29/us-shooting-idUSBRE90S05S20130129

(Reuters) - A man died of multiple gunshot wounds on Monday after a shooting at a medical facility in Newport Beach, California, police said.........

Officers found the suspect in the shooting standing over the victim, who was pronounced dead at the scene, Lowe said.............

The victim was a doctor, Newport Beach Police Department Deputy Chief David McGill told the Los Angeles Times.

Little more at link.....

Doctor fatally shot in exam room of Newport Beach medical office

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2013/01/doctor-killed-newport-beach-medical-office.html

...........Multiple people have identified the victim as a doctor at Orange Coast Urology, but police have not released the victim's name. ..........

Workers in the building said the shooting occurred in the doctor's exam room.

Newport Beach Police Department Deputy Chief David McGill confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that the slain man was a doctor but had no other details about him or the alleged gunman, who was taken into custody without incident at the scene, on the second floor of an office building at 520 Superior Ave.............

Shortly after the shooting, police led a handcuffed older man wearing a baseball cap out of the building.

Authorities received a call about 2:45 p.m. that six or seven shots had been fired, according to police spokeswoman Kathy Lowe...........

"We won't know a motive until our detectives have a chance to interview the suspect later tonight," Lowe said.

More at link.......

Doctor behind new premature ejaculation treatment shot dead by patient in his office

'A doctor has been gunned down inside an examination room at his Southern California medical office where the suspected shooter surrendered to cops.'

'Police received reports at about 2:45pm of six or seven shots fired at the medical office near Hoag Hospital in Orange County, Newport Beach police spokeswoman Kathy Lowe said.
Officers responding to a call of possible gunshots found a man dead from multiple bullet wounds to the upper torso in a patient examination room on the building's second floor, Lowe said.'

'The Daily Pilot identified the slain doctor as Ronald Gilbert, a respected urologist who specializes in sexual dysfunction, vasectomies and bladder and prostate cancer.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ion-room-California-office.html#ixzz2JMakS8nb

I wonder what the motive for the doctor's murder was?

I wonder what the motive for the doctor's murder was?

The doctor evidently was a urologist and the shooter had some kind of prostate problem?

My first guess would be he had a procedure that had a bad outcome (possibly even not being able to perform sexually) and blamed the doctor for it.

So doctors can't even be safe from gun violence in their own exam rooms now.

This case is so sad all the way around. I can feel for the guy who had surgery and had the problem of incontenance afterwards. It must have been very annoying and frustrating and I can see him being upset with the doctor. But he should have bought some Depends and checked to see if there was some chance the problem could be helped or corrected, or if more time might make things better. You can't just shoot the doctor when things don't go right. I've been treated by some doctors who took my money and made my health problems worse, and I was frustrated and angry too, especially with the doctors who were smart alecs. But I found a different doctor. The thought would never go through my mind of doing anything bad to the doctor. Also, by 75 years old or even younger, many men have trouble with incontenance even without having prostate surgery. That's what Depends are for. Its for sad for the doctor's family and his loved ones and the patients who depended on him for care. And what a waste of all the education that he had. Usually in the exam room, people have undressed and put on a hospital gown, so where did the man hide the gun?

Well... This condition isn't going to help him much in the place where he will now be staying...:jail:

ETA... I thought that incontinence was an announced possible side effect of prostate surgery? :waitasec:

I'm sure that ws clearly disclosed to him verbally and in written form and he chose to ignore it as most people do. Nobody believes the bad outcome will be them. Death is a possible complication of prostate surgery too.

You have a choice to have surgery or not, or even to go get another opinion or see someone who does a different approach.

His incontinence could probably have been dealt with but now he'll be in the prison system, where they can just issue him diapers.

I couldn't find how long it had been since the surgery. He'll wear depends in prison and probably even regain bladder control.

Ronald Gilbert Murder: Stanwood Elkus, suspect in Calif. urologist's shooting, had an appointment with victim, prosecutor says

Superior Court Judge Craig Robinson postponed Elkus' arraignment until March 5 after he told the judge he couldn't afford an attorney. Robinson said Elkus would be assigned a public defender in the interim. Elkus was held without bail.

Elkus appeared at the office of the Orange Coast Urology Group on Friday seeking an appointment, though it was not clear with which of the three doctors, said deputy district attorney Matt Murphy, who is prosecuting the case.

Authorities said he then gave the gun to another staff member at the medical office and was arrested quietly.

Investigators found no evidence that Gilbert ever treated Elkus prior to the appointment, Murphy said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...d-an-appointment-with-victim-prosecutor-says/

Ronald Gilbert Murder: Stanwood Elkus, suspect in Calif. urologist's shooting, had an appointment with victim, prosecutor says

Superior Court Judge Craig Robinson postponed Elkus' arraignment until March 5 after he told the judge he couldn't afford an attorney. Robinson said Elkus would be assigned a public defender in the interim. Elkus was held without bail.

Elkus appeared at the office of the Orange Coast Urology Group on Friday seeking an appointment, though it was not clear with which of the three doctors, said deputy district attorney Matt Murphy, who is prosecuting the case.

Authorities said he then gave the gun to another staff member at the medical office and was arrested quietly.

Investigators found no evidence that Gilbert ever treated Elkus prior to the appointment, Murphy said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...d-an-appointment-with-victim-prosecutor-says/

BBM- What? So was he treated at all at this doctors' office? Was he just wanting to kill any doctor who worked there, or just any doctor at all?

Slain doctor remembered for his love of Judaism ( link )

ron_gilbert_0.jpg

Gilbert, said Rabbi Berkowitz, was born to a Conservative family who lit candles on Shabbat and celebrated the holidays. He had a love of learning that led him later in life to appreciate the values and traditions he grew up with. Gilbert started becoming more serious about Judaism approximately 15 years ago, and he and Berkowitz would study Torah together in Gilbert’s office. Gilbert had a knack for retaining what he read and for learning Hebrew grammar, Berkowitz explained.

Gilbert valued the moral lessons of the Torah even more than ritual observances, Gilbert’s son, Stephan Gilbert, said at the funeral.

Visiting Los Angeles from New York, where he attends Yeshiva University, Gilbert’s son, Stephan, told of how, after studying for one year at a yeshiva in Israel he could not decide whether he wanted to spend a second year there. He asked his parents for advice. Gilbert wanted his son to return to Israel, but he let his son decide on his own, Stephan remembered.

Gilbert also loved music, sports and fine food, but he was remembered for loving his children more than anything. He traveled all over the world, stayed in some of the grandest hotels and ate in top-class restaurants, but the joy he got from being a father surpassed everything else, Stephan said.

[...]

The Gilbert family has suggested that those interested in honoring the doctor’s name donate to an organization of their choice or to Gilbert’s place of worship, Chabad of West Orange County.

September 2017:

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/news/tn-dpt-me-elkus-sentencing-20170915-story.html

A 79-year-old retired barber was sentenced Friday to life in prison, plus 10 years, without the possibility of parole for fatally shooting a urologist inside the doctor’s Newport Beach office in 2013.

An Orange County Superior Court jury on Aug. 21 had swiftly found Stanwood Elkus of Lake Elsinore guilty of first-degree murder for making an appointment with Ronald Gilbert using a fake name and shooting the physician 10 times when he walked into the exam room.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back