746 users online (86 members and 660 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GA - Rodrigo Abad Diaz, 22, fatally shot due to faulty GPS, Lilburn, 26 Jan 2013

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/2...dUI1E.facebook

A 69-year-old war veteran and former missionary was arrested over the weekend on the suspicion of killing a 22-year-old Cuban immigrant who mistakenly arrived in his driveway because of faulty GPS directions.
    “He didn’t talk to them, he just started shooting,” Cardenas explained. “The first shot was in the air.”
    Other passengers include a 15 and 18 year old

Mug shot looks like he has dementia to me, totally blank face. If he hasn't been officially diagnosed, he probably will be now.
    All posts from me are MY OPINION ONLY

I certainly don't know if the suspect has dementia, but by his actions he seemed to be behaving irrationally. A car drove up the driveway and this caused him to freak out. Why, oh why, did this man have access to a gun?

Cause we let pretty much anybody to have guns? Obviously our gun control is highly inadequate.
    Just my opinion

His lawyer has made comments about it, and dementia is not mentioned at all:

...Sailors' lawyers says the war vet "is very distraught over the loss of life from the defense of his home. This incident happened late in the evening hours when he was home with his wife and he assumed it was a home invasion and he maintains his innocence." But one of the passengers says Sailors never asked why they were there. "'Shut up.' That's the only thing that came out of his mouth."
    http://www.newser.com/story/161834/m...ong-house.html

Lock him up and throw away the key if this is his story. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean strangers aren't just going ice-skating

They could have knocked on the wrong door, laughed, made a call and gone ice skating. They SHOULD have done that. IMO there is no innocence in what this man did... he shot people who made no threat against him or his home "just in case." You don't get to shoot people for being in your driveway, so what you "thought" in this situation is not relevant.

I believe he needs to be away from society if he is that reactive and nervous. I don't have an issue with him being in a hospital at all if he has dementia- just don't want him to run across anyone else who maybe could be a suspected possible threat.

There seems to be a big increase of violence in seniors if the various stories here on WS reflect society in general.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    There seems to be a big increase of violence in seniors if the various stories here on WS reflect society in general.
    As an aging person I can understand that. As a teen we usually don't believe anything bad will happen to us and that we can handle anything. As a senior we often feel much more vulnerable. And experienced enough to know how many bad things can happen.

This guy sounds like he had an irrational fear of other races/cultures. Not unusual if you live in an area where there are lots of news stories about gang violence. Then one night it starts getting dark, a car pulls into the driveway and it is filled with young, agile men.

He got scared. How does a man sometimes handle being scared? By a show of strength they might not even have. By brandishing weapons. By being the first to strike.

I don't think that he should get off. But I do feel some compassion for him because he responded to the world that is changing around him. And he responded badly.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    This guy sounds like he had an irrational fear of other races/cultures. Not unusual if you live in an area where there are lots of news stories about gang violence. Then one night it starts getting dark, a car pulls into the driveway and it is filled with young, agile men.
    Fear of other races and cultures? If the car was sitting their in the driveway after dark for several minutes he might not have even known the "race" of the individuals.

Lilburn isn't that terribly rural (but they are experiencing much more crime), however in many rural areas if an unknown car pulls up to a house after dark the homeowner will come out with a gun. Now if they stay in their VEHICLE (which these kids did) then I have no idea why he would just shoot them.

Guess that is why they say "Don't mess with old people, they will just kill you".

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    Fear of other races and cultures? If the car was sitting their in the driveway after dark for several minutes he might not have even known the "race" of the individuals.

Lilburn isn't that terribly rural (but they are experiencing much more crime), however in many rural areas if an unknown car pulls up to a house after dark the homeowner will come out with a gun. Now if they stay in their VEHICLE (which these kids did) then I have no idea why he would just shoot them.

Guess that is why they say "Don't mess with old people, they will just kill you".
    If you pull into my driveway I promise not to shoot. (Blow the horn three times first so I will know it is you okay?)
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

I live in a rural area where the economy is so bad people resort to doing things they shouldn't to survive. Still I don't shoot at people in the driveway..but they'd better not knock on my door aggressively after dark. Because if they don't call out who they are I'm calling the cops and if they continue after I've told them I'm calling and that I'm armed I know they are up to no good. Certainly not excusing this man! But times are changing..just saying

Quote Originally Posted by MissJ View Post
    I live in a rural area where the economy is so bad people resort to doing things they shouldn't to survive. Still I don't shoot at people in the driveway..but they'd better not knock on my door aggressively after dark. Because if they don't call out who they are I'm calling the cops and if they continue after I've told them I'm calling and that I'm armed I know they are up to no good. Certainly not excusing this man! But times are changing..just saying
    If a car pulled up to your house at night and just sat there in the dark for several minutes, especially if they killed the engine and the lights I am betting your hinky meter would be going off big time. You would be calling the cops and grabbing your gun and wondering what on earth those people are up to.

The mere fact they would do that would imply you don't know them and they are "not from around here" or "up to no good".

bourne is offline "The truth shall set you free." ~JUSTICE FOR REBECCA ZAHAU

This story reminds me of Yoshihiro Hattori, a foreign exchange student who was going trick-or-treating at the Baton Rouge, LA home of Rodney Peairs who shot and killed the student. Peairs claimed he thought Hattori was trespassing with criminal intent. Peairs was acquitted. Go figure.

If a car pulled up to your house at night and just sat there in the dark for several minutes, especially if they killed the engine and the lights I am betting your hinky meter would be going off big time. You would be calling the cops and grabbing your gun and wondering what on earth those people are up to.

The mere fact they would do that would imply you don't know them and they are "not from around here" or "up to no good".
    Calling the cops is one thing. Going and shooting a person because they drove into your driveway is quite another.
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Calling the cops is one thing. Going and shooting a person because they drove into your driveway is quite another.
    I agree. I even kind of empathize with the shot he made into the air. I don't AGREE, but I empathize. He felt threatened, so he felt inclined to make a display of strength. And call the cops, sure.

However, the kids were attempting to retreat when he shot *into* the car, striking the driver in the head. There is no explaining or rationalizing that. I mean, the gun shouldn't have been pointed at a car full of kids who never even attempted to approach you.

Too much force, too little threat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast