GUILTY GA - Rodrigo Abad Diaz, 22, fatally shot due to faulty GPS, Lilburn, 26 Jan 2013

Abby Normal Again

Reaction score
Mug shot looks like he has dementia to me, totally blank face. If he hasn't been officially diagnosed, he probably will be now.

I certainly don't know if the suspect has dementia, but by his actions he seemed to be behaving irrationally. A car drove up the driveway and this caused him to freak out. Why, oh why, did this man have access to a gun?

Cause we let pretty much anybody to have guns? Obviously our gun control is highly inadequate.

His lawyer has made comments about it, and dementia is not mentioned at all:

...Sailors' lawyers says the war vet "is very distraught over the loss of life from the defense of his home. This incident happened late in the evening hours when he was home with his wife and he assumed it was a home invasion and he maintains his innocence." But one of the passengers says Sailors never asked why they were there. "'Shut up.' That's the only thing that came out of his mouth."

http://www.newser.com/story/161834/man-murdered-after-gps-takes-him-to-wrong-house.html

Lock him up and throw away the key if this is his story. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean strangers aren't just going ice-skating :(

They could have knocked on the wrong door, laughed, made a call and gone ice skating. They SHOULD have done that. IMO there is no innocence in what this man did... he shot people who made no threat against him or his home "just in case." You don't get to shoot people for being in your driveway, so what you "thought" in this situation is not relevant.

I believe he needs to be away from society if he is that reactive and nervous. I don't have an issue with him being in a hospital at all if he has dementia- just don't want him to run across anyone else who maybe could be a suspected possible threat.

There seems to be a big increase of violence in seniors if the various stories here on WS reflect society in general.

There seems to be a big increase of violence in seniors if the various stories here on WS reflect society in general.

As an aging person I can understand that. As a teen we usually don't believe anything bad will happen to us and that we can handle anything. As a senior we often feel much more vulnerable. And experienced enough to know how many bad things can happen.

This guy sounds like he had an irrational fear of other races/cultures. Not unusual if you live in an area where there are lots of news stories about gang violence. Then one night it starts getting dark, a car pulls into the driveway and it is filled with young, agile men.

He got scared. How does a man sometimes handle being scared? By a show of strength they might not even have. By brandishing weapons. By being the first to strike.

I don't think that he should get off. But I do feel some compassion for him because he responded to the world that is changing around him. And he responded badly.

This guy sounds like he had an irrational fear of other races/cultures. Not unusual if you live in an area where there are lots of news stories about gang violence. Then one night it starts getting dark, a car pulls into the driveway and it is filled with young, agile men.

Fear of other races and cultures? If the car was sitting their in the driveway after dark for several minutes he might not have even known the "race" of the individuals.

Lilburn isn't that terribly rural (but they are experiencing much more crime), however in many rural areas if an unknown car pulls up to a house after dark the homeowner will come out with a gun. Now if they stay in their VEHICLE (which these kids did) then I have no idea why he would just shoot them.

Guess that is why they say "Don't mess with old people, they will just kill you".

Fear of other races and cultures? If the car was sitting their in the driveway after dark for several minutes he might not have even known the "race" of the individuals.

Lilburn isn't that terribly rural (but they are experiencing much more crime), however in many rural areas if an unknown car pulls up to a house after dark the homeowner will come out with a gun. Now if they stay in their VEHICLE (which these kids did) then I have no idea why he would just shoot them.

Guess that is why they say "Don't mess with old people, they will just kill you".

If you pull into my driveway I promise not to shoot. (Blow the horn three times first so I will know it is you okay?)

I live in a rural area where the economy is so bad people resort to doing things they shouldn't to survive. Still I don't shoot at people in the driveway..but they'd better not knock on my door aggressively after dark. Because if they don't call out who they are I'm calling the cops and if they continue after I've told them I'm calling and that I'm armed I know they are up to no good. Certainly not excusing this man! But times are changing..just saying

I live in a rural area where the economy is so bad people resort to doing things they shouldn't to survive. Still I don't shoot at people in the driveway..but they'd better not knock on my door aggressively after dark. Because if they don't call out who they are I'm calling the cops and if they continue after I've told them I'm calling and that I'm armed I know they are up to no good. Certainly not excusing this man! But times are changing..just saying

If a car pulled up to your house at night and just sat there in the dark for several minutes, especially if they killed the engine and the lights I am betting your hinky meter would be going off big time. You would be calling the cops and grabbing your gun and wondering what on earth those people are up to.

The mere fact they would do that would imply you don't know them and they are "not from around here" or "up to no good".

This story reminds me of Yoshihiro Hattori, a foreign exchange student who was going trick-or-treating at the Baton Rouge, LA home of Rodney Peairs who shot and killed the student. Peairs claimed he thought Hattori was trespassing with criminal intent. Peairs was acquitted. Go figure.

If a car pulled up to your house at night and just sat there in the dark for several minutes, especially if they killed the engine and the lights I am betting your hinky meter would be going off big time. You would be calling the cops and grabbing your gun and wondering what on earth those people are up to.

The mere fact they would do that would imply you don't know them and they are "not from around here" or "up to no good".

Calling the cops is one thing. Going and shooting a person because they drove into your driveway is quite another.

Calling the cops is one thing. Going and shooting a person because they drove into your driveway is quite another.

I agree. I even kind of empathize with the shot he made into the air. I don't AGREE, but I empathize. He felt threatened, so he felt inclined to make a display of strength. And call the cops, sure.

However, the kids were attempting to retreat when he shot *into* the car, striking the driver in the head. There is no explaining or rationalizing that. I mean, the gun shouldn't have been pointed at a car full of kids who never even attempted to approach you.

Too much force, too little threat.

This story reminds me of Yoshihiro Hattori, a foreign exchange student who was going trick-or-treating at the Baton Rouge, LA home of Rodney Peairs who shot and killed the student. Peairs claimed he thought Hattori was trespassing with criminal intent. Peairs was acquitted. Go figure.

Yeah this reminded me of that story but in all fairness the kid was not "trick or treating" he was at the wrong house for a party and coming into the yard, when the homeowner told him to back off and stop approaching the kid just kept coming, dancing around in costume, waiving a camera that possibly looked a weapon, and not understanding what the home owner was saying.

Sadly the American friend with the kid that was shot DID understand and didn't stop his friend.

Yeah this reminded me of that story but in all fairness the kid was not "trick or treating" he was at the wrong house for a party and coming into the yard, when the homeowner told him to back off and stop approaching the kid just kept coming, dancing around in costume, waiving a camera that possibly looked a weapon, and not understanding what the home owner was saying.

Sadly the American friend with the kid that was shot DID understand and didn't stop his friend.

I don't know the specifics but irrespective of why the foreign exchange student was there -- trick or treating as was asserted in the papers or for a Halloween party as you say -- the property owner overreacted, especially if he sees it's a foreigner who doesn't appear to understand English.

It's not like the student came charging at him and broke into his home. The student was walking or as you say, "dancing around in a costume" to his door. And "waving a camera" no less just makes the homicide all worse.

The homeowner should have stayed inside his home and called the cops to handle the supposed threat.

The student's American friend sounds like an idiot. If you see someone pointing a gun at your friend, the first thing you'd do is protect your friend by shouting out, "He means no harm. He doesn't speak English." I don't understand how the friend stood idly by and just watched the horror unfold.

And why didn't the homeowner shoot the American friend who was with the foreigner and I presume, also "trespassing"? Why did he only target and shoot the foreigner?

And why didn't the homeowner shoot the American friend who was with the foreigner and I presume, also "trespassing"? Why did he only target and shoot the foreigner?

Because the American kid STOPPED when the homeowner screamed at them to stop!

I don't know what type of neighborhood that was. I keep my gate chained but if someone came up and entered the gate (that has clear signs saying "no trespassing" and "beware of the dog") and I told them to "Back off now" and they ignored me and just kept dancing around coming straight at me, my home, my animals, they would get shot. I certainly would NOT wait until they grabbed one of us or busted into the house to do something about it!

They might be high, they might just be bold, but acting like that on private property can bring dire results.

I don't know, seems like a warning shot might be in order before you just change (take) someone's life like that. Something. Some kind of balance between allowing victimization and creating a victim.

Because the American kid STOPPED when the homeowner screamed at them to stop!

I don't know what type of neighborhood that was. I keep my gate chained but if someone came up and entered the gate (that has clear signs saying "no trespassing" and "beware of the dog") and I told them to "Back off now" and they ignored me and just kept dancing around coming straight at me, my home, my animals, they would get shot. I certainly would NOT wait until they grabbed one of us or busted into the house to do something about it!

They might be high, they might just be bold, but acting like that on private property can bring dire results.

I can't believe the American teen didn't just scream out, "He doesn't speak English. Don't shoot him!"

I agree with Abby Normal Again. If homeowner felt threatened, he could have simply aimed into the sky and fired a warning shot into the air FIRST. Why shoot to kill when the kid hasn't come close to you to harm you or your home? This reminds me of George Zimmerman chasing after the black kid Trayvon and ended up shooting him because GZ allegedly fear for his life or feared that the kid was up to no good.

Everyone, no matter what language they speak, understands what a gunshot means. If the homeowner had simply fired into the air, the innocent, naive kid would have stopped and backed away. I could understand the homeowner shooting directly at the kid if after firing a warning shot, the kid continued to walk towards him and his home.

But the homeowner did not give a warning shot even though he knew full well the kid was a foreigner who evidently didn't speak/understand English. The fact that he shot straight into the torso of the kid with the intent to kill means that the homeowner's kill of the kid was calculated, and I believe it stemmed from his xenophobia and had nothing to do with his protecting himself, his wife or his home.

I hope the homeowner has learned his lesson and actually put up a locked fence around the perimeter of his home to prevent innocent pedestrians from accidentally walking onto his private property and getting shot and killed by him. Putting up a locked fence and also putting up "NO TRESPASSING or BE SHOT" signs would prevent such a nonsensical tragedy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back