UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
NamUs UP # 4764 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/4764

MahoningJaneDoe001_zps1a09671f.jpg
MahoningJaneDoe002_zpsd3b83d27.jpg
MahoningJaneDoe003_zps34805483.jpg

Unidentified White Female

Found April 09, 1992 at Universal Truckers Mall, 5370 Clarkins Drive, Austintown (Mahoning County), Ohio

Vital Stats
Weight (pounds) 140, Estimated
Height (inches) 64, Estimated
Hair: Medium length brown hair with a slight red hue and gray roots.
Eye color Blue
Scars and marks 1 3/4 " scar on right abdomen near midline (appendectomy scar); 2 1/4" scar midline lower back.
Organ absent: appendix
Prior surgery appendectomy (remote)

Comments The entered information is incomplete due to two classifications listed for fingers 3,4, 7, 8, and 9. See scanned copy of fingerprint card under images. FBI search on 4/23/92 failed to locate prior arrest records​

Circumstances of death
Body of unidentified female found at edge of truck stop parking lot in Austintown, Ohio.

Estimated postmortem interval 1 Day
Body condition: Recognizable face​

Clothing and Accessories
Blue short sleeved shirt, one white tube sock with two black stripes at the top, and men's brief-style underwear. A gray baseball cap found nearby. One ladies tan, calf-length boot (size 8.5) found near body.​

Meaghan of Charley Project forwarded to me an e-mail sent to her by the Mahoning County Coroner's office, indicating that this Jane Doe has been identified as Sharon Lynn Kedzierski of Miami Lakes FL.

SharonKadzierski_zps5db27c8d.jpg
MahoningJaneDoe002_zpsd3b83d27.jpg

NamUs MP # 10749 https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/10749/0

Status Missing
First name Sharon
Middle name Lynn
Last name Kedzierski
Date last seen October 25, 1989
Age last seen 43 years old
Race White
Sex Female
Height (inches) 62.0
Weight (pounds) 125.0

City Miami Lakes
State Florida
Zip code
County Miami-Dade
Circumstances
Sharon was last seen in Miami Lakes, Florida around October 25th, 1989--she was visiting friends. Her daughter who lives in Lake Oswego, Oregon is now filing a missing person report because Sharon has not contacted any family member since 1989. The family has previously retained a private investigator who cannot find Sharon either.

Hair color Brown
Eye color Blue
Scars and marks lower abdomen

This reminds me to be open about hair color, heights, weights etc. Although nothing was REALLY off, it was off enough that I might not have considered a match.

Her photo makes her look so conventional. But she was found near a truck stop with wearing tube socks and mens underwear? And only dead for a single day, three years after her disappearance? I wish we knew what happened during those intervening years.

Oddly, I've read of at least two other Does found in mens underwear. It wouldn't even occur to me to wear anything but women's underwear. Is it hard to find women's underwear for some reason if you are homeless or on the run? I wonder what's up with that? Is that something that's more common than I was aware of? Inquiring minds.

Arizona man recently tied to Medina County rape indicted in 1992 Austintown murder
Authorities say he may be linked to more homicides.

February 14, 2019

"AUSTINTOWN, Ohio — An Arizona man who was recently connected to a 1997 cold case rape via DNA has also been indicted on charges related to an Austintown area murder.

The Mahoning County Prosecutor's Office says Samuel Legg III has been indicted in the 1992 killing of Sharon Kedzierski.

Kedzierski was reported missing by her daughters in March 1992. Her body was found the following month, partially clothed behind a flea market off Clarkins Drive. She was first labeled a "Jane Doe" due to no identification or distinguishing marks.

BCI at the time conducted semen analysis found at the crime scene, which was eventually passed along to Austintown police. That DNA sample was sent to the National Missing and Unidentified Person System for analysis in 2011.

In 2013, an unidentified man was linked to Kedzierski's crime, as well as crimes that took place in other areas, according to WFMJ.

The DNA samples from Kedzierski's body eventually led investigators to a match with Legg, who was also connected to the rape of a Medina County woman in 1997. Legg appeared in court Thursday and pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Authorities also said Legg's DNA is linked to four homicides, although details on other cases are not known...."

30 years later: New DNA evidence surfaces in Amy Mihaljevic case

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No thread for Angela Hicks

Friend of teen who was murdered in 1990 looks for closure (with clip)

Feb 14, 2019

"ELYRIA, Ohio — Decades after her best friend was killed, Nicole Myers has hope she may finally get some answers.

"Part of me and part of my heart has been on standstill for almost 30 years," said Myers.

After all this time, Myers still keeps Angela Hicks' cold case alive after her body was found in Elyria when they were both just teenagers...

Wednesday, Samuel Legg III, Angela's step dad, was charged with a rape that happened in Medina in 1997. Authorities say they also linked his DNA to four homicides, but they haven't revealed the identities of those victims.

Nicole says she hopes Legg, or someone else, will finally be charged so she can finally know who is responsible to for cutting Angela's young life short...."

Friend of teen who was murdered in 1990 looks for closure
---

NEWS What happened to Angela Hicks?

July 22, 2007

"In the summer of 1990, a 14-year-old cheerleader from Elyria disappeared. Her body was later found in a wooded area off West River Road. Seventeen years later, the case remains unsolved....

On Aug. 30, Mormon missionaries stumbled upon Angela’s body — part skeleton and part mummy — in a thicket near a ramshackle barn south of Midway Mall. A shirt and underwear were lying nearby.

While the coroner’s office officially ruled the death undetermined, Smith and police still suspect foul play....

21-year-old stepfather, Sam Legg, on the evening of July 21 when she disappeared. Legg told police she left the apartment in black shorts, but Angela’s mother later found those shorts in a drawer.

Behne said police looked at a number of individuals as suspects, including Legg.

“Do we believe we know who did it? Sure. Can we prove it? No,” Behne said.

Legg was repeatedly questioned and reportedly took at least one lie detector test. Police declined to discuss the results, which are not admissible in court.

Shortly after her daughter was identified, Nancy Legg divorced Sam Legg...."

What happened to Angela Hicks?

(Photo by: Angela Hicks 1990, unsolved murder,not forgotten, Facebook page.)

So - I wonder "where" I should put this that I put together....

Thursday, February 14th:
*Arraignment Hearing (@ 9am ET) – OH – **17 year old woman (Sept, 7, 1997, Medina County) - *Samuel Legg III (49) arrested (1/2018), charged & indicted (1/28/19) & arraigned (2/14/19) with 2 counts of rape. Plead not guilty. $1M bond.
Familial DNA match. Was extradited (Jan. 2018) from Chandler, AZ to Ohio.
2/14/19 Update: Plead not guilty. Bond set at $1M. Judge orders a mental evaluation to see if he is competent to stand trial.

**Sharon Lynn Kedzierski (43) (reported missing Mar, 1992, found April 9, 1992 @ Universal Truck Mall & Flea Market, Austintown, Mahoning County) - Indicted (2/14/19) with 3 counts of aggravated murder & murder.
DNA link.
**Angela Hicks (14) (disappeared July 21, 1990, found Aug. 30, 1990, Elyria, Lorain County) – ongoing investigation.
Hicks (21 @ the time) was her step father. DNA link to 3 other homicides in Ohio & 1 in Illinois.

Samuel Legg has been charged with murder and rape as more cold cases are expected to reopen

Feb 15, 2019

"CLEVELAND — Samuel Legg has now been charged with a murder and a rape, and authorities say DNA evidence links Legg to at least three more murders. Cold cases across Ohio are heating up as families that have waited decades for justice wonder if they’ll finally get some closure. This is what we know so far…"

What we know about the alleged killer and rapist Samuel Legg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I'll keep posting his stuff here since he has also been indicted for Sharon's murder.

Can't get the court site to copy/paste so:

Apr. 4, 2019 Status Conference @ 8:30AM

link: Welcome to iJEMS

Update in red:

Thursday, Feb. 14th:
*Arraignment Hearing (@ 9am ET) – OH – 17 year old woman (Sept, 7, 1997, Medina County) - *Samuel W. Legg III (49) arrested (1/2018), charged & indicted (1/28/19) & arraigned (2/14/19) with 2 counts of rape. Plead not guilty. $1M bond.
Familial DNA match. Was extradited (Jan. 2018) from Chandler, AZ to Ohio.
2/14/19 Update: Plead not guilty. Bond set at $1M. Judge orders a mental evaluation to see if he is competent to stand trial. Next Status Conference hearing on 4/4.

Sharon Lynn Kedzierski (43) (reported missing Mar, 1992, found April 9, 1992 @ Universal Truck Mall & Flea Market, Austintown, Mahoning County) - Legg indicted (2/14/19) with 3 counts of aggravated murder & murder.
DNA link.
Angela Hicks (14) (disappeared July 21, 1990, found Aug. 30, 1990, Elyria, Lorain County) – ongoing investigation.
Hicks (21 @ the time) was her step father. DNA link to 3 homicides in Ohio & 1 in Illinois.

Ah - thanks for the explanation! :)

Arizona trucker accused in 1992 Austintown slaying booked into Mahoning Jail

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio -

After several decades the man accused in an Austintown cold case murder, as well as several other slayings across the state, has been booked into the Mahoning County Jail.

Forty-nine-year-old Samuel Legg, III is scheduled to appear in Mahoning County Court on Tuesday (2/26) in the 1992 murder of Sharon Lynn Kedzierski.

Legg faces charges of aggravated murder, aggravated murder during the commission of a felony (rape), aggravated murder during a felony (robbery), and murder.

Legg was charged earlier this month but has been in the custody of Medina County officials, after being charged in a rape case in their county.
[.....]
Samuel Legg, III was confirmed as a suspect in a Medina County rape, as well as, four open homicide cases- including Kedzierski's.

The only case in Mahoning County that Legg has been matched to by DNA. However, Legg has reportedly been implicated in five cases in Ohio, including four murders and one rape case.

That rape in Medina County allegedly occurred in 1997 and, as of a couple of months ago, the case was still unsolved.

Legg, III was extradited from Arizona back to Medina County.

The charge of aggravated murder carried a potential sentence of 20 years to life in prison in 1992, which is what he would be facing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back