1033 users online (241 members and 792 guests)  

Websleuths News

Central Florida

'Plastic micro beads' to be removed from soap

"(CNN) -- If you use exfoliating soaps, you might not know those little beads may be made of plastic -- or think about what happens to them when they go down the drain.

But it's on the minds of marine science researchers, as well as a major company."

"...Research in microplastics suggests that very small particles, even tens of microns in diameter, can be retained in the tissues of marine invertebrates, Thompson said. A 2008 study from Thompson's group found that microplastic particles remained in mussels for 48 days."

Easy enough to avoid these products when possible just in case.
    "Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

I used these yrs ago but got tired of those beads getting into my eyes even when I was trying very carefully to avoid that. I eventually just quit buying them all together and now glad that I did.

Ditto, I got an eyeful of those things once, and never used the product again.

Poor sealife, and all the crud they have to endure for our vanity's sake.