NY NY - Mary Theresa Simpson, 12, Elmira, 15 March 1964

Ausgirl

Reaction score
Possibly linked to:
- Carol Ann Dougherty
- Marise Chiverella

- small article

ELMIRA AP The fully clothed body of a (12 year) old girl missing four days was found Thursday beneath a pile of brush and heavy rocks on a hill overlooking the city Police said a man and his two sons discovered the body of Mary Theresa Simpson while they were hiking in the woods The girl had been the subject of an intensive search since Sunday night when she disappeared while walking home after (visiting) an aunt who lives about a mile away Dist Atty Paul H McCabe of Chemung County said he was investigating the death on the basis of a (murder?) although he said no marks of violence were apparent on the body An autopsy was scheduled for Friday Mary was the daughter of Mr and Mrs Ellsworth Simpson of Elmira.

- from this article

- Some pics of the body dump location

Great find, Robin Hood and all..

The latest break in Marise's case was in March of 2004, when a man named Harold Paddock told police that he believed his late ex-father-in-law had not only killed Marise, but also another little girl from Elmira, New York named Mary Simpson whose murder still remains unsolved. Elmira was about a 5 hour drive from Hazleton back in 1964. Mary was 12-years-old when she was abducted on March 15, 1964, just three days before Marise's murder. Furthermore, Mary's strangled body was found a few days later in a wooded area near Elmira on property Paddock claimed to have since learned was owned at the time by his sister?s half-brother. While this is only a speculation, police are looking into the case but not evidence has been found to prove this theory and Marise's father passed away in 2006, never knowing who ever murdered his little girl. To this day, Marise's murder still remains unsolved.

- from this article

I wonder if Harold Paddock's old dad in law was Catholic..

I'm taking a look at some names I've picked up along the way, I shall try to link them together via ancestry. It's going to be hard if folk are half relatives but sometimes luck plays a part.

I can't find anything of worth. Mary didn't get much news attention either, well, none I can find.
'Theresa' was a popular Catholic name when I went to school in the early 1960's.

56 years ago. Still unsolved...

Mary20Theresa20Simpson3_1550812207820.jfif_74252685_ver1.0.jpg

Mary Theresa Simpson, 12 years old. Murdered 15 March 1964

57 years ago...

Mary20Theresa20Simpson3_1550812207820.jfif_74252685_ver1.0.jpg

Remembering Mary Theresa Simpson

Mary Theresa Simpson, age 12,
Abducted and murdered 15 March 1964

Police Probe Unsolved 1964 Elmira Murder
By Ray Finger

From The Star-Gazette, March 17, 2014

ELMIRA, N.Y. — Police are continuing their investigation of a murder involving a 12-year-old girl who disappeared 50 years ago — on March 15, 1964 — and whose body was found four days later. Work on the case has been ongoing through the years, Police Chief Michael Robertson said. The case has drawn renewed attention because of the half-century mark this year, he said. “As a law enforcement agency, we strive to solve every crime, and that certainly is magnified when it’s a homicide. It’s even more magnified when it’s a 12-year-old kid that never had a chance,” he said. “We would certainly love to solve it.”

About 3 p.m. on the Sunday that she vanished, Mary Theresa Simpson had left the apartment on North Main Street where she lived with her father, Ellsworth Simpson. She told him she was going to visit a cousin, but she instead went to see her mother, Rose Simpson, who was separated from her father and lived on Dewitt Avenue. After about an hour, she left and went to her grandfather’s house on Cieri Street and played with her cousins. She was last seen heading home at about 6:30 p.m. at the corner of East Market and Harriet streets. Her father reported her missing at 10:30 p.m.

Police had not ruled out foul play as they searched for Mary in vacant buildings, abandoned homes, junkyards, excavations and used car lots.

On March 19, 1964, her frozen, fully clothed body was discovered in a wooded section of Southport under twigs, branches, leaves, dirt and four heavy stones — the largest weighing more than 100 pounds — by a man who was hiking with his two sons a quarter-mile east of Combs Hill Road. Only part of her hand and a sneaker were visible. Her mouth had been stuffed with dirt and twigs. Eugene Golden, the police chief at the time, said he was thoroughly convinced she was murdered in the vicinity of where her body was found but did not elaborate further. According to the Chemung County medical examiner, she had been either choked and/or strangled. Officials later revealed there was evidence of sexual molestation.

Family members, teachers, neighbors and others interviewed by the Star-Gazette in 1964 described Mary as a sweet, quiet, polite girl who was shy with strangers. She had moved a lot — five times in six years — and didn’t make friends easily, but when she did, the friendships lasted. She was a Girl Scout, belonged to the YWCA and had won a trophy for cooking. She made her first communion at St. Patrick’s Church in Elmira in May 1959. She attended St. Patrick’s School in Elmira until June 1963, when she completed the fifth grade. She entered the sixth grade at Curtiss Elementary after moving with her father to Hammondsport. The family subsequently returned to Elmira and Mary was enrolled in sixth grade at Booth School. She disappeared a week later.

As the investigation of her murder continued over the years, hundreds of people have been interviewed, including more than a dozen Chemung County residents who were given lie-detector tests. At one time, the Star-Gazette offered a reward that had grown to $5,000 for information leading to the conviction of her killer. Various tips had come in through the years, and Mary’s case was reactivated several times, then-District Attorney John Trice said in 2007.

At that time, Trice had sought help from a team of Project Alert investigators from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. The team gathered evidence and prepared it for DNA testing at a laboratory in Texas. Nothing very useful came from the Texas lab, Robertson said, noting that a DNA sample was developed by the New York State Police lab. “We will be using them for anything from here on out,” he said.

To this day, the police department continues to search for any new lead in the case, Robertson said. “I think, to a man, we can almost all say that we’d like to solve that.”

LINKS:

Did they ever look hard into the man who believed his father killed her? Was he living near the area where she was last seen? Was any dna from the sexual assault? If so, can't they get the DNA of man and see if there is a genetic relation between him and the DNA found on clothing?

Mar 26, 2024 lengthy article.
New DNA testing in cold case killing of 12-year-old Mary Theresa Simpson

by: Nicolas Dubina Mar 26, 2024
'ELMIRA, N.Y. (WETM) – The Elmira Police Department says it received a grant to pay for “advanced DNA testing and analysis” in the 1964 unsolved killing of Mary Theresa Simpson. The 12-year-old’s body was found on a hill, covered in rocks and debris, four days after she was reported missing. Nobody was ever arrested or charged.'

“I just know she was found up on Combs Hill. She was covered up with boulders and a hand was sticking out. She was fully clothed when they found her, and I guess she had twigs in her mouth, that’s what I heard,” Galpin said.''
1711547972116.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back