Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flying-k View Post
    Good Evening,

I joined this site to relay the following information. I know the van - I saw it for many, many years. I reported this to the Pennsylvania State Police via phone and I never heard back from them - what a waste of time. I know the neighborhood where the van resided; if it were registered, it would be easy to find out whos it is.

From what little I have gathered, I can't tell from this site if anyone aggressively pursues these kinds of leads but I have contacted some agencies and I have not heard back from a one.

The van I saw was a late 70's early 80's light blue-grey Dodge or Chevy (possibly with a custom bubble window in the rear) painted with a skier in bright red with dark sunglesses (with something or other that obscured the face) in a mountain scene painted on the passenger side; I'm not sure about the driver side. I saw this van pass by my house every work day as I was waiting for the school bus while I atteded middle school (between1984-1987) - When I went to another school, I no longer waited for the bus and never noticed the van thereafter. I thought I saw the van in the area years later, but it had been primered and not painted. The van would travel westbound on Green Ave. Poydras, LA and turn right towards New Orleans as if going to work. Anyone doing a Google search of this area will notice the neighborhood to the east is not big at all.

I have found sketches of the van online and the similarities are almost dead on with the exception that the skier was further to the back and was not painted on the door - and I remember the van having a spare tire cover in the back.

I found out about the Cherie Mahan case by chance on CNN a few months ago.

I am very dissapointed that PSP never called me back so I am trying to relay this information to any interested party.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions,

Flying K
    Flying K,
    If you truly believe the van you know could likely be the same van from Cherries kidnapping, you need keep speaking until somene listens. Call every police org involved, call the 800# from her posters, call John Walsh, call the writer of the articles you goggle with the anniversary articles. Please, keep trying. It may not be the same van, but until someone tells you it isn't keep believeing it could be. Cherrie needed someone to speak up about what they may not have realsied they even saw then, and her family still needs that now. Wishing you luck, and please, if ever you hear back from law enforcement, let us all know.
    To the anonymous donor who gave the gift of bone marrow for a babygirl they had never met: Thank You will never be enough!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to supergirl For This Useful Post:

So glad to see Cherrie's case here.

Has anyone ever noticed how much Cherrie looks like celebrity Anne Hathaway?
    I'm sure that doesn't mean anything, but Cherrie may look very much like Anne today. It might help for people to keep Anne in mind when "looking" for an older Cherry.

I hope Cherry is found one way or another so her mom can finally start to try to heal.
    Bring the Missing Home!!!
    Find Kara Kopetsky!!!

God watch over baby Gabriel Johnson
    Tips: gabrieljohnson.tips@gmail.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NewMommy09 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by chaddylex View Post
    I remember this case as if it were yesterday. I was about the same age as Cherie when she disappeared. I remember seeing it on the news. I grew up about an hour away from Cabot, PA (were she lived) , but I was still scared. We had a man that lived a few blocks away from me that had a skier painted on his van, and it gave me the creeps...

I think her case is what got me interested in finding missing people.

I hope one day she can be found to give her family peace.... (it's almost like she vanished into thin air.)
    Just to bump this post, hoping that chaddylex can answer.

My husband mentioned Cherrie just the other day. So even non-sleuthers remember her and wonder what happened. If you look at the abduction site on a google map, you can see how easy it would have been for someone to abduct her and get away.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pittsburghgirl For This Useful Post:

I just read an article on Cherrie in our local paper about a month ago and it was on the local news.. (Pittsburgh channels). It's been 25 years since she went missing! Where in the heck is she??

Pittsburgh girl, I am Southeast from Cabot I live in Westmoreland County, south of Greensburg. I kept telling my mom that the guy that lived a street up had a skier van.. (which she knew) but I kept telling my mom that that man could have taken her... I think she thought I was crazy...heck I was 9 yrs old. The guy that owned the van was a grandfather of a girl I was in Girl Scouts with. Not sure if he still lives there or not, I should ask my parents. I am not even sure of the last name anymore. I doubt my parents would know either.

I am going to call my mom at work and ask her... will update!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chaddylex For This Useful Post:

Ok, so I called my mom and asked her if she remembered the Cherrie Mahan case. She said yes... I asked her if she remembered the guy that lived a street above us that had the skier van...she said no. I told her she should have listened to me 25 yrs ago when I was 9 that I could of had a lead to a missing persons case...geez. I remember just like it was yesterday... I was so persistant with my mom to call it in! She doesn't even remember... Geez she's not that old not to remember... So now she has no clue who I am talking about or the guys name. I'm not hallucinating....seriously.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chaddylex For This Useful Post:

Chaddylex, you should contact the police with what you know, especially if you can remember which house the guy lived in. They can track who lived in that house at that time through public records really easily (although if it was a rental it may be harder). Who knows...your information may help crack the case.
    Last edited by Aphra; 03-09-2010 at 06:42 PM.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aphra For This Useful Post:

carbuff is offline ebook Bad Fairies available from Torridbooks.com, Amazon, B&N
    I think you should call it in. The worst that happens is they laugh at you and tell you you're crazy.

I have the oddest feeling that I've seen that van somewhere, too. But not PA. Can't place it, though...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:

Well, I thought about calling it in especially if my mom would have remembered it... (but she doesn't remember the van) I would have no idea what to say.. "Hello when I was 9 yrs old in 1985, a man lived a road up from me with a skier painted on his van." Has it been ever linked to the Cherrie Mahan case up around Butler PA?.. Do you think I would sound like I was crazy? I am not too sure which house the guy lived in... I know he was a girl's grandfather that I know.. I haven 't seen the girl in years. She moved away when we were in Jr High... and her mom died in a fire.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chaddylex For This Useful Post:

Well, I thought about calling it in especially if my mom would have remembered it... (but she doesn't remember the van) I would have no idea what to say.. "Hello when I was 9 yrs old in 1985, a man lived a road up from me with a skier painted on his van." Has it been ever linked to the Cherrie Mahan case up around Butler PA?.. Do you think I would sound like I was crazy? I am not too sure which house the guy lived in... I know he was a girl's grandfather that I know.. I haven 't seen the girl in years. She moved away when we were in Jr High... and her mom died in a fire.
    Don't worry about how it sounds. Just think about what you will be doing to help. Even if nothing pans out from this, it's a lead, and in a cold case leads are few and far between. What's the worst that can happen? The police will check it out and nothing will come of it. What's the best case scenario? The memory you have from 1985 will spark a new, fresh, hot lead on the disappearance of a little girl.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr. E For This Useful Post:

carbuff is offline ebook Bad Fairies available from Torridbooks.com, Amazon, B&N
    Yes, that would be pretty much what you'd say. I think I'd mention what town you lived in up front, so they know you're from the area.

I was joking about thinking you're crazy, which I shouldn't have done. They're very unlikely to think that. The worst that happens is that they check it out and it doesn't lead anywhere, like any other tip. But it might be the break they need.

And now that I think about it, somebody's grandfather is really high on the list of the kind of person who would commit a crime like this.
    Last edited by carbuff; 03-10-2010 at 10:05 AM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:

Carbuff,

I didn't take offense about you saying I'm would sound crazy...I was worrying about sounding crazy myself..lol. I am just worrying about it sounding credible since I was only 9 years old at the time, but I can still see that van like it was yesterday. I can't believe no one else thought about that van back then, heck Cherrie's case was plastered all over the news.. (and I always watched the news, since I was like 5)..

Would I call the State Police? I will have to look to see who is listed as a contact for her case I guess...

I might even ask my Grandma and see if she remembers the van. (she lived nearby also) Heck she's 82, but she has a good memory.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chaddylex For This Useful Post:

Chaddy, The doe network lists these contacts: Pennsylvania State Police, Troop D, Butler Station, 724-284-8100
    OR
    Pennsylvania State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation, Missing Persons Unit
    717-783-5524

It might be worth asking your grandmother. The other girl's grandfather was probably closer to her age, and she might remember him better. I imagine your mother was thinking, "Oh, goodness, it couldn't possibly be a nice man like that."

24. The Following User Says Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:

I talked to my grandma. She remembers the case, but doesn't remember the van either. She was throwing out last names of people that lived on the street even from when she was growing up... she said she has no clue who lives there now. The street only has probably about 6 houses on it. I might ride by later tonight or tomorrow and get a count of houses and house numbers and then do google search to see if they list the people's last names. If I see that it might spark a last name.

I am going to look for an email address first to see if I can contact the PA State Police, I still feel weird about calling... If I can't find an email address, I will call..

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chaddylex For This Useful Post:

I feel weird making phone calls too. Email is much better.

The best place to look for information about who owns property is in the city or county registry of deeds. Most places have that on line these days and it's public information. It will definitely show the current owner and usually shows all the deed transfers too.

I was thinking that too carbuff.... I am going to go onto the county's website to look up deed info.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to chaddylex For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast