Four strong earthquakes signal angry ‘Ring of Fire’

i like the usgs site because you can customize the realtime, also it has the- did you feel it- maps.
http://www.iris.edu/seismon/
i also like the iris site-because its colorful and flashy, but it is not as informative.

new quake -6.7 Solomon islands -they're getting bigger not smaller like they usually do

Nao, sometimes, the first or first two quakes are "foreshocks", and a large quake on the same fault in a nearby locale will go off larger...that happened with March 11 in Japan; there were three (iirc) and then the main 9.0.

So, as someone who lives right at a very large fault, I am "prepared" as well as I can be. I'm ready to be "cut off" from electric, gas and whatnot for about 7 days in a normal mode, and if necessary, for 3 weeks (if I know in advance...rationing mode).

That being said, I also always listen to myself...it's been unusually warm and "still" here, which we call "earthquake weather", although it's not a real predictor. And I had a pretty long, detailed dream of being in some big quakes about 2 nights ago; between those both, I did check my eq supplies, and realized there are a few tbings I could use more of, and now with this post, I'll make sure they get purchased tomorrow.

I hope any shaking happens after that.

Best-
Herding Cats

Nao, sometimes, the first or first two quakes are "foreshocks", and a large quake on the same fault in a nearby locale will go off larger...that happened with March 11 in Japan; there were three (iirc) and then the main 9.0.

So, as someone who lives right at a very large fault, I am "prepared" as well as I can be. I'm ready to be "cut off" from electric, gas and whatnot for about 7 days in a normal mode, and if necessary, for 3 weeks (if I know in advance...rationing mode).

That being said, I also always listen to myself...it's been unusually warm and "still" here, which we call "earthquake weather", although it's not a real predictor. And I had a pretty long, detailed dream of being in some big quakes about 2 nights ago; between those both, I did check my eq supplies, and realized there are a few tbings I could use more of, and now with this post, I'll make sure they get purchased tomorrow.

Best-
Herding Cats

Wow. You are prepared. Um, if an earthquake happens i might need to check your supplies to make sure. So your address is...? Just kidding. I live in the midatlantic. Knock on wood, no real quakes in this area.

Best-
Herding Cats
Glad you are prepared Herding Cats. When I lived in Southern California I slept threw the few small quakes we had. Hope you don't have any big ones.

Do you have a link or list of the items people ought to have on hand for posters who might be new to an area with earthquakes that you can post?

I live in tornado alley and people who move here from areas not familiar with tornadoes sometimes totally freak out when our month test sirens sound and yet don't know where to go or what to do when we are in a tornado watch situation which can change rapidly to tornado warning. I really pushed the issue of severe storm action at my old job as many of us who have lived here automatically know what to do but not necessarily people new to the area. One great thing is our schools do a lot to teach the kids and more than one adult has listened to a child when faced with a tornado/severe storm warning!
Also our grocery stores put the info on their bags during the tornado season.

Never have I been so thankful to live in wet and depressing Scotland, I am a panicer so cant imagine how id cope in an earthquake.

Stay safe!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Best-
Herding Cats

It has been still hasn't it - the difference to me is how cold the nights get, and the sky hasn't been weird. (It's really hard to explain unless you've grown up here!)

I need to make a note to get water - and remember to do it.

Wow. You are prepared. Um, if an earthquake happens i might need to check your supplies to make sure. So your address is...? Just kidding. I live in the midatlantic. Knock on wood, no real quakes in this area.
So CA...north of downtown Los Angeles. I've been through the two major quakes here - '72 (Sylmar) and '94 (Northridge), as well as the many non-major quakes (Whittier Narrows, 29 palms, et cetera), and probably thousands of unnamed 4, 5 and 5.5's. So I've been there, done that. Not fun at all, but totally survivable.

The difference between our quakes and the Atlantic coast quakes (and mid country quakes, too) is the type of soil we're on, and the way we build. Most places east of the west coast, if they get a solid 4 to 5, will have some damage; here, we just kinda wonder if that was a big truck. We don't even really report on the news (unless it's terribly slow) if anything smaller than a 4.5 or 5 hit...we literally don't even "notice" it. But the same size quake back east, and you've got some serious issues going on.

Glad you are prepared Herding Cats. When I lived in Southern California I slept threw the few small quakes we had. Hope you don't have any big ones.
Me too. I'm not fond of quakes...but for the most part, they're small and not even noticeable (to me).

Do you have a link or list of the items people ought to have on hand for posters who might be new to an area with earthquakes that you can post?
The way I set things up is I've tracked everything I like to eat that doesn't need refrigeration - crackers, PB and J, canned soups, tuna - and bought enough to have the shelves fairly well together with those things. Single serve mayo packs for tuna, e.g., and condiments like that tend to help the monotony of the food. I've also got water purification tablets, as well as some camping stuff, so I can boil water for drinking, if necessary.

Personal stuff would be baby wipes and large ziplock bags ('cause you don't want to use the toilet when the sewers and pipes are discombobulated) ...zip lock bags come in terribly handy with disposing of things and for use with the potty. I also have a lot of bleach (it's cheap) and vinegar for cleaning if needed.

And things that make life more bearable - batteries and a battery radio, for example - and candles (as long as the gas is shut off), flashlights, and things along those lines are stashed away, to be used if necessary. Quite a lot of firewood always on hand, as well as fatwood and starter items, matches, and charcoal for cooking in the fire if need be.

Also, and probably most important, items like a hand can opener...things that you'll need if you have no power to access food.

For first aid, I've got a good supply of gauze, bandaids, vet wrap, tons of alcohol wipes, betadine and hydrogen peroxide, triple A cream, burn cream, tweezers, aspirin and ibuprophen, and so on. And I've also got all my nursing texts to refer to should the need arise.

I also have a lot of duct tape and large sheets of plastic, so if/when the windows are broken, I can patch them up until I can get them fixed. This is a good thing, both to keep my critters inside with me, but also to keep any inclement weather out. No, plastic is not going to be a good insulator, but it's far better than nothing, and is something which a lot of folks don't consider when they're prepping for a disaster.

And, of course, I've got enough dry food on hand always for the dogs and cats, for three weeks of eating. For them, they can drink the same water I'll be drinking - boiled or purified. I also have enough carriers for all the cats in case we need to evacuate, and of course leashes for the dogs. (And yes, the horses have enough food, too...that's up at the barn, though).

Other things:I have a tarp in case I need to "camp out" if the walls come down or something, and I need to construct a leanto for myself out back. I keep at least half a tank of gas in at all times. And so on.

[/quote]I live in tornado alley and people who move here from areas not familiar with tornadoes sometimes totally freak out when our month test sirens sound and yet don't know where to go or what to do when we are in a tornado watch situation which can change rapidly to tornado warning. I really pushed the issue of severe storm action at my old job as many of us who have lived here automatically know what to do but not necessarily people new to the area. One great thing is our schools do a lot to teach the kids and more than one adult has listened to a child when faced with a tornado/severe storm warning!
Also our grocery stores put the info on their bags during the tornado season.[/QUOTE]
I was in Illinois during a tornado alert...nothing came close, but it was rather scary. The woman and children I was visiting were very nonchalant about things, but I was sooooo on edge I couldn't enjoy the thunderstorms...just paced the house, walking from window to window. they laughed at me. LOL.

But I remember a friend who was thinking about moving here, and knew we had quakes. I had her look at the USGS quake list after a few days, showing her how many we had had...and none that she felt. LOL. So it's just what you're used to, I suppose, and what you understand and have experienced. Me, I'm not good in tornados, but am just fine in EQs...after the shaking stops, of course. LOL.

Never have I been so thankful to live in wet and depressing Scotland, I am a panicer so cant imagine how id cope in an earthquake.

Stay safe!!
Thank you, Josie! I don't think anything will happen, but I haven't been comfortable with all the quakes that have happened recently, and us not having any significant quake to speak of (we've had some 4 and 5's, but nothing more than that).

Honestly, I'm more worried about the asteroid which is gonna come quite close to us on Feb. 15, than I am about quakes...that asteroid is supposed to pass us but come underneath the satillites we have orbiting - something like -0.009 AU, which is less than a tenth of the space between us and the moon. So that has my attention at the moment...

But it never hurts to be prepared for whatever...and since I live in the heart of EQ territory, that's what I'm ready for.

Best-
Herding Cats

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

So CA...north of downtown Los Angeles. I've been through the two major quakes here - '72 (Sylmar) and '94 (Northridge), as well as the many non-major quakes (Whittier Narrows, 29 palms, et cetera), and probably thousands of unnamed 4, 5 and 5.5's. So I've been there, done that. Not fun at all, but totally survivable.

The difference between our quakes and the Atlantic coast quakes (and mid country quakes, too) is the type of soil we're on, and the way we build. Most places east of the west coast, if they get a solid 4 to 5, will have some damage; here, we just kinda wonder if that was a big truck. We don't even really report on the news (unless it's terribly slow) if anything smaller than a 4.5 or 5 hit...we literally don't even "notice" it. But the same size quake back east, and you've got some serious issues going on.

Best-
Herding Cats

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

(Respectfully snipped by me...)

I wasn't to happy with tornadoes at the end of January either. Although tornadoes can come any month we usually get a break during the height of winter, at least with a tornado you get a little warning, but an F3 already, what is going on? Well everyone stay safe and lets hope mother nature is a little easy on us this year.

Wow, HC - I wanna be at your house, disaster or not, it sounds awesome. :D

And thatnks tarabull for the thread title, now I got Johnny Cash stuck in my head..

.. which isn't a bad thing. :D Hoping everyone stays safe!

Herding Cats thanks for the info. Didn't think of condiments, large plastic sheets and duct tape. I can see myself totally prepared with can food and forgetting a can opener. lol Good use for the umpteen condiments you get from fast food restaurants.

I love a good thunderstorm and hubby and I have chased tornadoes for almost 20 years. I agree with legalmania at least you have warnings before a tornado.

Ausgirl...sheesh now I have Johnny Cash stuck in my head! lol

Herding Cats thanks for the info. Didn't think of condiments, large plastic sheets and duct tape. I can see myself totally prepared with can food and forgetting a can opener. lol Good use for the umpteen condiments you get from fast food restaurants.

I love a good thunderstorm and hubby and I have chased tornadoes for almost 20 years. I agree with legalmania at least you have warnings before a tornado.

Ausgirl...sheesh now I have Johnny Cash stuck in my head! lol

LOL, I sing that song all the time...

As far as being prepared, it's the little things - the condiments, for example - that will make the difference between acceptable and not. I've found that out the hard way, LOL.

As for the plastic and duct tape, that came from seeing my parents tape up a window and the fireplace that came down in the 72 quake, but not with plastic and duct tape...they used blankets and masking tape. Didn't work too well, but that's an enduring memory of the 72 quake, so I've modified it to be able to work well.

For those of you in Tornado Alley, do you actually get warning for all the tornados, or just most of them? And I agree - EQs have no warning, and are very scary...the ground suddenly throwing itself around under your feet is terribly unsettling to say the least. I don't think they'll ever be able to accurately predict all eqs, but I think that they will be able to say "conditions are good for a quake, be aware".

Best-
Herding Cats

I'm so glad you're prepared HC. I have a hurricane prep kit that contains pretty much what you've listed. We've been without power for a week before - but never without water. That's a great idea about the wipes and baggies so they'll be added. Off to look at current activities on the site tycia provided.

LOL, I sing that song all the time...

As far as being prepared, it's the little things - the condiments, for example - that will make the difference between acceptable and not. I've found that out the hard way, LOL.

As for the plastic and duct tape, that came from seeing my parents tape up a window and the fireplace that came down in the 72 quake, but not with plastic and duct tape...they used blankets and masking tape. Didn't work too well, but that's an enduring memory of the 72 quake, so I've modified it to be able to work well.

For those of you in Tornado Alley, do you actually get warning for all the tornados, or just most of them? And I agree - EQs have no warning, and are very scary...the ground suddenly throwing itself around under your feet is terribly unsettling to say the least. I don't think they'll ever be able to accurately predict all eqs, but I think that they will be able to say "conditions are good for a quake, be aware".

Best-
Herding Cats

Weather channel, local channels, radio, internet media all tell us when we are in or going to be in a tornado watch situation. Schools, businesses etc., have a plan where to go if the sirens go off. A weather radio or cell phone app are great for warnings if you don't live near a siren. The sirens will not be tested if there is a possibility of a tornado that day and again the media will let people know the difference. People will talk about the weather. I remember 20 years ago very little warning, mostly AFTER a tornado had hit an area. Today it's amazing how much info we get.

Hubby and I look at the sky and I also go to the convection website from NOAA and follow the storms on tv and other internet media. I do like the TorCon index. We also look at our barometer. Spotters and storm chasers really help inform our media what's goig on in the rural areas.

Often hubby and I will load up a few laundry baskets with important items and take them downstairs to the basement or leave right by the basement door.

It's the tornadoes at night that scare me, fortunately we don't have many of them and live only a few blocks from a siren.

I'm like you, I can just feel a great difference in the weather. Also a dropping barometer helps clear up my sinuses! Also sometimes the animals will get very very antsy. Plus if you hear NO birds and NO insects noises...beware!

There are a few warning signs, at times, for earthquakes. Wells suddenly going dry, animals migrating out of the area, funny looking clouds. But these are not consistent, whereas you have to have the right conditions for a tornado to form. I will try to find the link for a really weird cloud that formed in China before a huge earthquake happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back