1211 users online (278 members and 933 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by KatherineQ
    Lisa, don't you think, though, this is a VERY strange story the way it's being handled? If a girl was abducted forcibly in my school district (I think everywhere is like this!) parents would be down at the school demanding to know how that happened, and seeking accountability from the bus driver and the school district. The school district would at least issue a statement of grave concern and a promise to look into it. I don't think this is happening, in fact, the story is fading fast from the media.

This paragraph is carried in a lot of articles:

"Authorities initially said Rachel Marie Zoccoli was abducted off her school bus by her former boyfriend.
    But police canceled the alert Wednesday night after she turned up safe. "

The "authorities initially said" thing looks like they were wrong, to me.

I don't know - it doesn't seem like it was correct as first reported, but it's hard to tell for sure, and whose fault it was if in fact it wasn't correct.

I guess we'll see if the boy is charged - as it is, this isn't being handled by the community, it seems to me, the way a normal community would react if she was really abducted.
    The "authorities initally said" doesn't raise a red flag to me. This guy is in JAIL right now... What does that say ?? I haven'tr seen how it is being "handled", as far as I know they are investigating and he is in jail with charges possibly being issued today... What is the problem with the handeling we have seen so far ?

How do we know that the school has not issued a statement to the parents off all students - we don't... and if they did not, maybe thet felt there was no need as this was an isolated incident involving a boyfirend/girldfriend - not some yahoo off the streets who just came aboard and snatched some unsuspecting teenager.

Of course the media coverage is fading fast - she has been found and is safe... They won't need to report anymore unless/until the boy is charged. It's not a "hot" story anymore.

I don't want to get into a fight about this, Lisa, it's just a curiosity to me.

The media typically pick up stuff like this and run with it - spin off articles about "how safe are our school buses" and "signs of abusive relationships in high schoolers" etc.

Here's this pretty blonde girl, dragged unwillingly off a school bus on school property - that's a STORY.

I guess we'll see how it turns out. When things have happened at schools around here like that, the world stops turning and all eyes are on the school.

Quote Originally Posted by KatherineQ
    I don't want to get into a fight about this, Lisa, it's just a curiosity to me.

The media typically pick up stuff like this and run with it - spin off articles about "how safe are our school buses" and "signs of abusive relationships in high schoolers" etc.

Here's this pretty blonde girl, dragged unwillingly off a school bus on school property - that's a STORY.

I guess we'll see how it turns out. When things have happened at schools around here like that, the world stops turning and all eyes are on the school.

I have no desire to fight either, I am giving you my opinion as you have given yours.
    I have to disagree with you about the media though - the story is over. She was found and is safe.. They move on to their next hot story.

I am from MN and 1st I want to say I had the radio on ALL DAY to local station and the 1st time I heard the Amber Alert was about 3:00 ish yesterday......I was floored as my radio was one starting 7 am. Thank goodness she is safe. But wow I would have thought I would have heard this earlier in the day. I was busy at work so I had not even checked inhere yesterday or maybe I would have known sooner.

I saw the interview with this boy/man on KSTP last night and he was saying "Oh we were just chillin' and hang all day, she totally wanted to be with me we were talking about.....our problems and relationship when I saw the Amber Alert on the news I wanted her to leave right away" as they were interviewing him the police showed up and he fled and later turned him self in around 8:15 pm. I then saw the interview by her sister that she said there was an incident on the bus there was fighting etc and he took her off, she claimed her sister has been afraid of him for awhile and had ended the relationship etc and she thought her sister just didn't knew what do it.

I am glad the Amber Alert was issued you just never ever know, I wish I would d have heard it earlier. In any case something is not right with this young man and he is in custody, there has been a restraining order issued if that was served before this happened or not that I don't know. But I hope they investigate this fully and charge if he did in deed remove from that bus with force. Say may have got off the bus and left with him in fear of what he might do remember this is a young girl and fear is very powerful and so is mental manipulation.
    Misty

Rachel Marie Zoccoli, of Mendota Heights was located by police tonight at approximately 7 p.m.

The suspect Craig George Sutherlin of St. Paul, has turned himself in, according to Police.

Read the rest and see his interview here:

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S6513.html?cat=1
    Misty

Say may have got off the bus and left with him in fear of what he might do remember this is a young girl and fear is very powerful and so is mental manipulation.

Well said Misty! IMO it doesn't matter if he hit her or not. She had been suffering his abuse for three years. I am quite sure that he had mentally abused her enough that she would have probably done anything he asked. Doesn't mean that she wanted to go, just that she felt like there was no other way out. This reminds me so much of a former friend of mine. We were best buds for around 12 years but had to part ways about 3 years ago because of her abusive BF. You name it, he did it and she is still with him. Hopefully, Rachel's parents care enought to make sure that she is safe from any retaliation he might try to inflict.

Please read this. The TWO of them planned this. She has not been manipulated. Teens who know the situation say the teens made it look like she was abducted. Please note that it was her family who said he was dangerous. Also note that her parents got the restraining order.

Blonde, fair-complexioned pretty female. Black male.

Can we get past this to believe that just maybe he isn't the bad guy after all?

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S6513.html?cat=1

MENDOTA HEIGHTS - The 17-year-old Mendota Heights girl for whom an AMBER Alert was issued Wednesday, may not have been abducted at all.

Police spent all day Wednesday looking for 18-year-old Craig Sutherlin after they were told that he abducted 17-year-old Rachel Zoccoli off of her school bus.

He turned himself in Wednesday night. But before he did, he told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that she went with him willingly.

"We planned this out...her parents just don't like her talking to me," Sutherlin said.

Zoccoli's family contends that Sutherlin is dangerous.

If Dakota County officials decide to charge Sutherlin with anything, they must do so by 12 noon on Friday.

It will be interesting to see, by noon tomorrow, if there are any charges filed.

I'm a mother of three boys, and this story makes me about sick to my stomach.

Yup it will be intersting to see if charges are filed..
    If he did actually take her by force, I hipe he is charged.. if nto and this was planned, I hope they are both charged.

I still have my doubts about his story, though... I would like to her what SHE says.

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S6572.html?cat=1

It looks as if charges have been filed.
    Last edited by Trino; 02-25-2005 at 07:13 PM.

About 10 miles outside of Philadelphia, PA
    Originally posted by Trino:

I think this is a tremendously unfair statement! No one here has made this about race at all, and no one here knows the ethnicity of the other posters. It isn't his race that makes him a bad guy, it's the fact that he forcibly removed his girlfriend from the school bus! That makes him a "bad guy" whether he is white, black, Hispanic, Asian, etc. and regardless of his girlfriend's race & ethnicity.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl
    Originally posted by Trino:

I think this is a tremendously unfair statement! No one here has made this about race at all, and no one here knows the ethnicity of the other posters. It isn't his race that makes him a bad guy, it's the fact that he forcibly removed his girlfriend from the school bus! That makes him a "bad guy" whether he is white, black, Hispanic, Asian, etc. and regardless of his girlfriend's race & ethnicity.

Exactly !!!!
    And since charges WERE actually filed, I would tend to believe that he did indeed abduct her as was reported in the first place. This is not some good guy who is getting the raw end of the deal !! He commited a crime and should be PUISHED ! I imagine if the was your daughter (Trino) you would want him punished too... Her past history or whatever, should have no bearing on this case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2