1118 users online (207 members and 911 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 102 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Wise Old Owl is offline Retired WS Staff & Founding member of AFKBPOFPOPL
    Superbowl:

That was amazing - brought tears to my eyes. I just kept wondering what those children had seen and I knew what they had been subjected to.

It was an absolutely beautiful tribute and a wonderful performance by the children and Jennifer Hudson!

JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Superbowl:

That was amazing - brought tears to my eyes. I just kept wondering what those children had seen and I knew what they had been subjected to.

It was an absolutely beautiful tribute and a wonderful performance by the children and Jennifer Hudson!

JMHO
    It was a beautiful song. I had forgotten that Jennifer Hudson is also a victim of gun violence.

I also remember that the last "happy" moment at Sandy Hook was the school chorus Christmas concert held the night of Dec. 13, the day before the attack.

Anne, Amy, and Beth: Three Daughters Share Their Pain at the Loss of Dawn Hochsprung, Heroic Sandy Hook Principal

Anne: On my fridge there is a photo of my sisters and me with our dad; our faces filled with joy and smiles. For ten years, Dawn made my dad so incredibly happy. She put a smile on his face and, albeit cheesy, the spring in his step. I find myself looking at that picture daily and willing that smile to come back to my dad’s face. His life has been turned upside down, his well-laid plans for the future are now in pieces and the sparkle in his eyes has gone out.

Amy: This fall, as I struggled through my own tough time, I grew to value and appreciate her even more - for her constant support, her phone calls and texts when other people in my life remained silent. I feel so thankful that a week before she was killed I sent her a card telling her that. It was open on the counter when I got down to Connecticut on that awful Friday night, carrying both my sleepy 2-year-old daughter and my shock in my arms. I’m thankful that she read it in time.

Grieving Newtown couple raise money for autism

Josephine Gay's mother could not be with her in her final, harrowing minutes inside Sandy Hook Elementary School. She struggles with it every day, but she has taken comfort from learning that Josephine's aide wrapped her arms and body around her and other children, shielding them from the horror of a rampaging gunman.

The dying actions of Josephine's behavioral therapist, Rachel D'Avino, were hardly surprising to the girl's mother. D'Avino and other educators had close bonds with 7-year-old Josephine, who was autistic and could not speak.

"She protected them and provided them with comfort and love when they really needed it," Michele Gay said in an interview. "I can't say enough about the people that worked with Joey. They were amazing."

"If I didn't believe in God it would be really difficult to go on and handle this because I miss her," Bob Gay said. "I can still feel her hug when I'd get home at night."

The couple said they are better people for having had Josephine in their lives.

"She was just an extraordinary gift to our family," Michele Gay said. "She challenged us to do better and to love more every day. She taught us to be very patient and persistent. She was absolutely brimming with God's love, and she shared it with everyone."

mikeysmommom is offline "A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty...."
    http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...,1254435.story

"We became aware that not all substitutes had keys," Superintendent of Schools Janet Robinson said Wednesday.

IMO There is no excuse for this! I wonder how many might have been saved had they had keys!Now I would expect lawsuits to follow.
    I Love You MOM 6/16/32 - 5/30/09

Justice for Travis 5/8/13

Justice For Emma
    Stacey Barker - Guilty - Murder 1 - 5/24/11
    25 to Life - Sentenced 6/17/11

Justice Denied for Caylee Marie Anthony
    July 5,2011

Town leader rejects film on Sandy Hook

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/...ok-4250215.php

Director plans movie related to Newtown shooting

Bucari says he picked Ridgefield because it looks like Newtown and he didn't want to upset Newtown residents so soon after the killings.

Ridgefield schools superintendent Deborah Low says the timing is "poor."

Bucari's Internet Movie Database page lists one completed directorial project, a TV pilot called "The Sacrificial Lamb." He has no listed telephone number and hasn't responded to online messages.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeysmommom View Post
    http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...,1254435.story

"We became aware that not all substitutes had keys," Superintendent of Schools Janet Robinson said Wednesday.

IMO There is no excuse for this! I wonder how many might have been saved had they had keys!Now I would expect lawsuits to follow.
    I've always thought that if anyone was going to file a lawsuit, it would be the families of those in Lauren Rousseau's class due to the reports that she was unable to lock her door.

However it still hasn't been revealed if Victoria Soto's door was locked. She was a full time teacher. She should have had a key and should have had time to lock her door while AL was in Lauren Rousseau's classroom. Did her door not lock? Did AL shoot his way through? There is speculation that while he didn't target specific people he did target specific rooms. I think there was mention that he passed by the first classroom and I recall an article saying that Lauren or Victoria's classroom was his old classroom.

It breaks my heart that there are so many unanswered questions and so many what-if scenarios. Like many I hope that Sandy Hook serves as a wake-up call not only for better mental health services and gun control but also for better school security measures. My kids' schools (elementary, middle, and high school) all have the same "safety" feature that Sandy Hook had - a series of locked doors and a buzz-in style system. I'll admit that it never occurred to me that someone would take a high power gun and shoot their way through. Before December 14th, I always felt so secure knowing that they had such measures in place. Our schools down south in Florida and Georgia had no such security measures in place. Anyone could just walk right in to the school.

NY College to Name Center After Newtown Principal

The Sage Colleges has announced that its Esteves School of Education is creating the Dawn Hochsprung Center for the Promotion of Mental Health and School Safety.

College officials say Hochsprung will receive her doctorate posthumously with her class in May 2015.

The six Newtown teachers and administrators who died protecting their students at Sandy Hook Elementary School will be the posthumous recipients of the 2012 Presidential Citizens Medal.
    http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/...#ixzz2K3igEbt0

Dawn Hochsprung, Mary Sherlach, Rachel D'Avino, Lauren Rousseau, Anne Murphy and Victoria Soto

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    I posted this on another thread but thought it may be relevant here:

Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post
    I'm impressed. I hope more local govt's do the same.

-------------------------------------------------

Fairfax Co. employees get mental health first aid training

Last week, 15 Fairfax County employees took a course in mental health first aid. None of them has a job that would seem to call for such training, but as more mental health care is provided outside of hospitals, people who work in local government say they are more likely to encounter people in need of mental health services.

The purpose of the course is not to teach how to diagnose or treat mental illness, but how to recognize signs and symptoms and find appropriate help, instructor Samar Helmstutler said.....

....In Fairfax, the classes, open to the general public, are booked through June, and in a sign of the growing national interest in such programs, President Obama’s gun safety proposals introduced last month include financing for mental health first aid for teachers.....

....“People with mental health problems will often find their way into our office, and for the most part we’re not professionals, so we’re not professionally trained to deal with mental illness,” Bulova said. “So a little bit of first aid and a little bit of knowledge as to what mental illnesses are and what are the best ways to handle and approach someone I think is very valuable to all of us.”....

.....“In spite of the fact that it really came about from a real tragedy in Sandy Hook, it’s a needed – this information is needed regardless of that,” he said. “People just don’t have a clear understanding and also how to help.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...y.html?hpid=z2

Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

How Adam Lanza made a massacre without even buying a gun

February 6, 2013
    By: Gianluca D'Agostino

Adam Lanza did not own a gun, he never went buying one nor he had a gun permit, neither he had to undergo background check. Nonetheless he was able to make a massacre using a Bushmaster Assault rifle.

So if he had no guns, how in the world he could had access to a Bushmaster assault rifle?

Very simple: His mother gave him the guns and taught him how to shoot.

His mother? Yes his mother. So the Adam Lanza case showed us that all the gun-control laws, the background check, the gun permit and all the other existing measures, can nothing against a loving mother who gives his disturbed son an assault rifle and teach him how to shoot.

So where exactly this leads us to?

Read more: http://www.examiner.com/article/how-...n-buying-a-gun

Published on Feb 6, 2013

Susan Getzinger's testimony at the Newtown hearing on gun violence prevention speaks to the fact that she had exposed corruption in the school system regarding exploitation of mental health issues (going so far as to state that Adam Lanza was the first victim in Newtown)
    Last edited by KateB; 06-20-2015 at 10:59 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

Families: Slain Newtown educators acted bravely

By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN and PAT EATON-ROBB / Associated Press
    Posted: 02/06/2013 06:16:33 PM MST

DANBURY, Conn. — As a little girl, Lauren Rousseau would create make-believe classrooms with dolls and a small blackboard. And when a gunman invaded Sandy Hook Elementary School, the substitute with a life-long dream of being a teacher died doing her best to keep the children calm. She read to them, her father said. Rousseau and the other five educators slain in the Dec. 14 massacre will be honored next week with the 2012 Presidential Citizens Medal, one of the nation's highest civilian awards, for their efforts to protect the children of Sandy Hook. President Barack Obama will present the awards in a White House ceremony on Feb. 15 to the families of Rousseau, principal Dawn Hochsprung, school psychologist Mary Sherlach and teachers Rachel D'Avino, Anne Marie Murphy and Victoria Soto. "It's a really, really lovely honor," Rousseau's mother, Teresa, said Wednesday. "I think it will be really hard to accept. I'd rather have her back." The staff members have been credited with protecting the students when a gunman attacked the building. Some rushed toward him while others used their bodies to shield children from gunfire.

Read more: http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces...-acted-bravely

Amid Budget Woes, Newtown Tragedy Barely Mentioned

By JON LENDER, jlender@courant.comThe Hartford Courant
    8:57 p.m. EST, February 6, 2013

HARTFORD — Newtown is the word that's been on everyone's lips at the state Capitol since the Dec. 14 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School, but it was barely mentioned on Wednesday as Gov. Dannel P. Malloy laid out his proposals for a $21.5 billion state budget in the coming year.

Two special panels — a legislative task force and a Sandy Hook advisory commission appointed by the governor — have been working to produce new state laws and policies in response to the Newtown shootings.

And officials on both panels agree that some of the proposals may be complicated and expensive, such as ambitious improvements to the mental health system that might provide early identification and treatment of people such as Adam Lanza, the 20-year-old who killed 26 women and children at Sandy Hook.

But the governor referred to Newtown only a couple of times in his budget speech. It came up in respectful mentions — "let us continue to keep in our hearts [all of those] that have been touched by the senseless tragedy" — but Malloy did not say anything about budget proposals specifically tied to Newtown. And, although he talked about health and human services in general, he did not mention mental health.

It is too early to know the cost of programs yet to be developed concerning mental health, school security and gun control. But there's also something telling in the fact that Malloy had to strain as hard as he did just to balance next year's budget even without building in millions for new Newtown-related programs.

Read more: http://www.courant.com/news/politics...,6744417.story

Page 2 of 102 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast