CA - Christopher Dorner kills 4 in tri-county rampage, Feb 2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...org>&news_id=19299110&src=most_popular_viewed

IRVINE, Calif. (AP) — Two Southern California college employees, a coach and a campus safety officer, were found shot to death in a car at their upscale condominium complex in Southern California, and authorities say they have no motive or suspects in the killing.

Cal State Fullerton assistant women's basketball coach Monica Quan, 28, and her fiance University of Southern California public safety officer Keith Lawrence, 27, were found dead around 9 p.m. Sunday on the top floor of a parking structure at the complex, police said. Officers found their bodies after someone reported seeing Lawrence slumped over the wheel of his vehicle..............

"It doesn't appear they were robbed," Engen told the Orange County Register. "There's no obvious motive."..............

Engen said the couple recently moved into the condominium complex. The parking structure requires a key-code for entry and there are security cameras throughout the complex, a resident told the Los Angeles Times.

More at link......

Couple dead in shooting remembered as stars off the court and on

Recently engaged, the two were college sweethearts who both shined at basketball.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/car-479026-couple-inside.html

Keith Lawrence was in the driver's seat, a standout basketball player with a new job as a USC patrol officer, shot and slumped behind the wheel. Monica Quan was next to him, also a basketball star, now a much-loved basketball coach, also shot dead.

They were college sweethearts, newly engaged. They had recently moved into the Irvine condo complex where they were found Sunday night on the top level of a parking garage.

Police said they believe, based on the evidence, that the killings were neither a murder-suicide nor a robbery gone bad. They declined to release many details, but said the couple did not appear to have been robbed and that Lawrence – licensed to carry a firearm as part of his job – did not have a gun..................more at link.....

From the link above:

Quan graduated in 2007 with a degree in exercise sports science, then got her master's degree in coaching and athletic administration. Her dream was basketball: "I've had one goal: to be on a WNBA team," she said in her 2002 yearbook from Walnut High in Walnut. "I've always dreamed of playing for the Los Angeles Sparks."

Instead, she became an assistant coach, first at Cal Lutheran in Thousand Oaks, then at Cal State Fullerton – where, for the past two years, she has been "Coach Mo." The head coach, Marcia Foster, broke down as she remembered Quan during a brief news conference on Monday. "A really bright light was put out way too soon," she said..............

Lawrence graduated from Concordia with a degree in business administration. But even in his playing days, he had talked about becoming a police officer. He attended the Ventura County Sheriff's Academy and posed for a photograph on the day he graduated, proud in his uniform, with Quan by his side..................

"During his brief tenure of service here at USC, Officer Lawrence proved to be an honorable, compassionate and professional member of our department and the Trojan family," he wrote. "We are a better department and the USC Campus Community is a safer place as a result of his service."

Police said Lawrence and Quan appear to have been shot where they were found, in the car in the open-air top level of the structure. It was obvious, police said, that they had been dead for some time. It did not appear that they had been robbed.

No one has been arrested.

Right now, this one's completely mystifying and thus a great one to follow.

Wow. How sad... and puzzling. Thanks for posting.

picture.php

Another article, not sure if any new details here:

Engaged Couple Found Shot to Death in Irvine

From the Lake Forest Patch

"Keith Lawrence, 27, and Monica Quan, 28, were found dead in Lawrence's Kia, which was parked at the top of the five-story parking structure, Engen said.

"Their deaths are being investigated at a double homicide," Engen said. "There is no suspect information at this time."

Investigators were not releasing details of their wounds. There's no evidence they were being robbed, Engen said.

The parking structure and high-density residential community is highly secure with key-card access only, Engen said.

Irvine had two slayings last year and the year before that, according to Engen, who said overall violent crime is at "historic lows" in the city."

Lots more personal info on the two...

I would imagine there are cameras watching who comes and goes?

Wow!

Two young lives...

Taken too soon!

RIP.... Monica and Keith

:rose: :rose:

:praying: for those that love them!

I worked in the area for 23 years ... I will be following this case closely!

JMO

From the link above:

Quan graduated in 2007 with a degree in exercise sports science, then got her master's degree in coaching and athletic administration. Her dream was basketball: "I've had one goal: to be on a WNBA team," she said in her 2002 yearbook from Walnut High in Walnut. "I've always dreamed of playing for the Los Angeles Sparks."

Instead, she became an assistant coach, first at Cal Lutheran in Thousand Oaks, then at Cal State Fullerton – where, for the past two years, she has been "Coach Mo." The head coach, Marcia Foster, broke down as she remembered Quan during a brief news conference on Monday. "A really bright light was put out way too soon," she said..............

Lawrence graduated from Concordia with a degree in business administration. But even in his playing days, he had talked about becoming a police officer. He attended the Ventura County Sheriff's Academy and posed for a photograph on the day he graduated, proud in his uniform, with Quan by his side..................

"During his brief tenure of service here at USC, Officer Lawrence proved to be an honorable, compassionate and professional member of our department and the Trojan family," he wrote. "We are a better department and the USC Campus Community is a safer place as a result of his service."
I wonder what they mean by "had been dead for some time"...

I wonder how long?

who saw them last?

JMO

This is probably nothing, then again...

There was a campus shooting on Halloween that allegedly arose from a dispute ( link ). Prosecutors claim the accused is affiliated with a gang ( link ). The accused was/is a licensed security guard in Inglewood Ca ( link ). One of the victims was a former high school football star ( link )

Is there a connection? As I said, probably not.

Otoh, within a span of six months, you have two security personnel involved in shootings. And you have the sports angle. This leads me to wonder if their paths crossed at some point, and the couple somehow became targeted for... whatever reason.

Anyway, just a thought... probably way off base but I figured I'd throw it out there.

This is so very sad. My son went to high school with Keith and his brother, his brother was in my son's class, Keith 2 years older. They lived a few blocks away from us. He was from what I understand a Class Act young man according to everyone from the ventura county sheriffs office to the high school, to the neighbors and to the colleges, etc...He graduated from the ventura county sheriffs acadamy and worked in a few different city's around here for the sheriffs. From what i understand his true love was basketball so was still using his police training as the armed security guard at the school but also pursuing basketball stuff. I don't know much about the young lady except that her father is a former police captain with the LAPD.

I will let you know if i find out any other news from around here.

Another article, not sure if any new details here:

Engaged Couple Found Shot to Death in Irvine

From the Lake Forest Patch

"Keith Lawrence, 27, and Monica Quan, 28, were found dead in Lawrence's Kia, which was parked at the top of the five-story parking structure, Engen said.

"Their deaths are being investigated at a double homicide," Engen said. "There is no suspect information at this time."

Investigators were not releasing details of their wounds. There's no evidence they were being robbed, Engen said.

The parking structure and high-density residential community is highly secure with key-card access only, Engen said.

Irvine had two slayings last year and the year before that, according to Engen, who said overall violent crime is at "historic lows" in the city."

Lots more personal info on the two...

I would imagine there are cameras watching who comes and goes?

That article says that they had recently moved into the community. Considering the requirement of the keycard access and no robbery as well as their recent engagement (just one week ago), I think it was someone they know. Sounds like a scorned lover.

So senseless. :no:

This is so very sad. My son went to high school with Keith and his brother, his brother was in my son's class, Keith 2 years older. They lived a few blocks away from us. He was from what I understand a Class Act young man according to everyone from the ventura county sheriffs office to the high school, to the neighbors and to the colleges, etc...He graduated from the ventura county sheriffs acadamy and worked in a few different city's around here for the sheriffs. From what i understand his true love was basketball so was still using his police training as the armed security guard at the school but also pursuing basketball stuff. I don't know much about the young lady except that her father is a former police captain with the LAPD.

I will let you know if i find out any other news from around here.

Thank you for the inside information, Tambo....

and I will appreciate any other information you can bring to us!

On another note...

I imagine... And I hope... With MQ's father in LE... And with KL's background in LE... That the forces will be ALL OVER this event!

:please:

I saw an interview with I think some of Monica's family, and now I cant find the link or I would gladly provide it. A cousin is interviewed in it. It was just one of those "whodunnit" thoughts.

In the meantime, if one were to Google Map:

2100 Scholarship, Irvine, CA 92612

You can see the building, and the rooftop parking. I don't know, it doesn't look to be all that secure to me. So, it would really need to have cameras to make a difference, I think.

From the street view, it seems some one could easily walk into the garage and if they couldn't get in the elevator, or go up the stairs, they could probably just walk up the auto ramp to gain access to the roof.

I saw an interview with I think some of Monica's family, and now I cant find the link or I would gladly provide it. A cousin is interviewed in it. It was just one of those "whodunnit" thoughts.

In the meantime, if one were to Google Map:

2100 Scholarship, Irvine, CA 92612

You can see the building, and the rooftop parking. I don't know, it doesn't look to be all that secure to me. So, it would really need to have cameras to make a difference, I think.

From the street view, it seems some one could easily walk into the garage and if they couldn't get in the elevator, or go up the stairs, they could probably just walk up the auto ramp to gain access to the roof.

I haven't looked at the pics of the condos and parking structure...

but the condos themselves could be quite secure... But an open air (I believe I read this) top floor of a 5 floor parking structure would not be as secure...

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member