8.0-magnitude earthquake in the Solomons sparks tsunami warning in South Pacific

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Tsunami warning issued for South Pacific islands
SYDNEY (AP) — A tsunami alert has been issued after a strong earthquake in the South Pacific.

The U.S. Geological Survey says the 8.0-magnitude quake struck Wednesday 81 kilometers (50 miles) west of Lata, in the Solomon Islands, at a depth of 5.8 kilometers (3.6 miles.)

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center says the tsunami warning is in effect for the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Tuvalu, New Caledonia, Kosrae, Fiji, Kiribati, Wallis and Futuna.

Ring of fire has been heating up of late. Can't say this was unexpected. Hope folks stay safe.

That's a biggie. I hope that no tsunami develops, or if it does, it's a small one. Prayers for everyone in the area.

And yes, this was not at all unexpected - but it's big. Very big.

Still...this makes me wonder...energy travels, imho, like ripples; and we've had some serious quakes in the last few years (and yes, imho, larger than usual and more than usual). But again, there's nothing to do but be as prepared as possible, and double check supplies, and take it easy until it shakes under your feet.

Sigh.

Best-
Herding Cats

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

Time Magnitude Location
37 minutes ago 6.4 Santa Cruz Islands region
48 minutes ago 8.0 Santa Cruz Islands
1 hour ago 6.3 Santa Cruz Islands

Just had a quick looksee on USGS, and wanted to say that thankfully, this looks like a normal aftershock pattern. It will be interesting to see where the 'reverberations' happen - I'm betting Chile goes off again, and we'll see some Japanese movement (poor good folks there), and something going off in either the Kuril Islands or Alaska...

And maybe something on the west coast. That's the one which might affect me directly...and what bugs me is that with the other large quakes, we've seen a lot of corresponding east/west reverb and north/south reverb...but the west coast has been silent and quiet. And that's a big concern.

So I'll double check supplies (again), top off what I need to top off (again), and just...wait.

Best-
Herding Cats

With several large earthquakes rocking the "Ring of Fire" in the Pacific, a few of our viewers have been concerned that this will impact the New Madrid fault or cause it to shift. While this is a valid concern, the two are not directly linked. Since the New Madrid fault zone network is sub-continental, it is not linked to the Pacific Rim (like those along the West Coast of California, or Asian countries). Adding to that, the New Madrid fault zone is composed of different kinds of faults than those in California.

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/weather/blog/63200602.html

while logically I know the above. I still get nervous anytime there are big ones rumbling anywhere. I still remain convinced the New Madrid will be rumbling a big one and soon.

Yikes! Just looked up some of the Micronesian island nations: Tuvalu, for example - the HIGHEST POINT IN THE COUNTRY is only 15 feet above sea level.

With several large earthquakes rocking the "Ring of Fire" in the Pacific, a few of our viewers have been concerned that this will impact the New Madrid fault or cause it to shift. While this is a valid concern, the two are not directly linked. Since the New Madrid fault zone network is sub-continental, it is not linked to the Pacific Rim (like those along the West Coast of California, or Asian countries). Adding to that, the New Madrid fault zone is composed of different kinds of faults than those in California.

while logically I know the above. I still get nervous anytime there are big ones rumbling anywhere. I still remain convinced the New Madrid will be rumbling a big one and soon.

New Madrid is a ticking time bomb for sure.

Knowing our luck this will be the one time this jerk gets it right.

“There’s going to be many, many disasters, desert disasters, sometimes God speaks in alliterations to me,” Bakker said. “In California confusion is going to happen and it’s going to be awful, the earthquakes are shaking, the ring of fire is shaking, there are going to be earthquakes like we’ve never seen before, there’s going to be storms like we’ve never seen before.”

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/jim-bakker-new-orleans-destruction-california-fire

Hey now! Don't be pointing out faults that are on my side of the country! I was fine with tornados, floods, and droughts, but earthquakes- no, I draw the line. I am just going to assume you looked at the map incorrectly and this Madrid Fault is in Spain, thank you very much.

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 0312 PM HST 05 FEB 2013
COORDINATES - 10.9 SOUTH 165.1 EAST
LOCATION - SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
MAGNITUDE - 8.0 MOMENT

EVALUATION

THE PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER HAS ISSUED AN EXPANDING
REGIONAL TSUNAMI WARNING AND WATCH FOR PARTS OF THE PACIFIC
LOCATED CLOSER TO THE EARTHQUAKE. AN EVALUATION OF THE PACIFIC
WIDE TSUNAMI THREAT IS UNDERWAY AND THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT
HAWAII COULD BE ELEVATED TO A WATCH OR WARNING STATUS.

IF TSUNAMI WAVES IMPACT HAWAII THEIR ESTIMATED EARLIEST ARRIVAL
TIME IS

1004 PM HST TUE 05 FEB 2013

http://ptwc.weather.gov/ptwc/text.php?id=hawaii.TIBHWX.2013.02.06.0213

A TSUNAMI WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR

SOLOMON ISLANDS / VANUATU / NAURU / PAPUA NEW GUINEA / TUVALU /
NEW CALEDONIA / KOSRAE / FIJI / KIRIBATI / WALLIS AND FUTUNA

A TSUNAMI WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR

MARSHALL ISLANDS / HOWLAND AND BAKER / POHNPEI / TOKELAU /
SAMOA / KERMADEC ISLANDS / NEW ZEALAND / AMERICAN SAMOA /
TONGA / AUSTRALIA / NIUE / COOK ISLANDS / INDONESIA /
WAKE ISLAND / CHUUK / JARVIS ISLAND / GUAM / NORTHERN MARIANAS /
PALMYRA ISLAND / YAP / JOHNSTON ISLAND / MINAMITORISHIMA /
BELAU

FOR ALL OTHER AREAS COVERED BY THIS BULLETIN... IT IS FOR
INFORMATION ONLY AT THIS TIME.

THIS BULLETIN IS ISSUED AS ADVICE TO GOVERNMENT AGENCIES. ONLY
NATIONAL AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCIES HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO MAKE
DECISIONS REGARDING THE OFFICIAL STATE OF ALERT IN THEIR AREA AND
ANY ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN RESPONSE.

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

snip

EVALUATION

SEA LEVEL READINGS INDICATE A TSUNAMI WAS GENERATED. IT MAY HAVE
BEEN DESTRUCTIVE ALONG COASTS NEAR THE EARTHQUAKE EPICENTER AND
COULD ALSO BE A THREAT TO MORE DISTANT COASTS. AUTHORITIES SHOULD
TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION IN RESPONSE TO THIS POSSIBILITY. THIS
CENTER WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR SEA LEVEL DATA TO DETERMINE THE
EXTENT AND SEVERITY OF THE THREAT.

FOR ALL AREAS - WHEN NO MAJOR WAVES ARE OBSERVED FOR TWO HOURS
AFTER THE ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL OR DAMAGING WAVES HAVE NOT
OCCURRED FOR AT LEAST TWO HOURS THEN LOCAL AUTHORITIES CAN ASSUME
THE THREAT IS PASSED. DANGER TO BOATS AND COASTAL STRUCTURES CAN
CONTINUE FOR SEVERAL HOURS DUE TO RAPID CURRENTS. AS LOCAL
CONDITIONS CAN CAUSE A WIDE VARIATION IN TSUNAMI WAVE ACTION THE
ALL CLEAR DETERMINATION MUST BE MADE BY LOCAL AUTHORITIES.

ESTIMATED INITIAL TSUNAMI WAVE ARRIVAL TIMES AT FORECAST POINTS
WITHIN THE WARNING AND WATCH AREAS ARE GIVEN BELOW. ACTUAL
ARRIVAL TIMES MAY DIFFER AND THE INITIAL WAVE MAY NOT BE THE
LARGEST. A TSUNAMI IS A SERIES OF WAVES AND THE TIME BETWEEN
SUCCESSIVE WAVES CAN BE FIVE MINUTES TO ONE HOUR.

http://ptwc.weather.gov/ptwc/text.php?id=pacific.TSUPAC.2013.02.06.0212

the above link gives predicted arrival times for tsunami for the various warned areas.

Brian Shiro, a geophysicist at the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, told CNN that instruments near the Solomon Islands indicated that a tsunami was in fact generated. It is 1 meter high, he said, describing it as "significant."

The event seems to be localized to the region, Shiro said, and authorities are still waiting to see if they want to expand the alert.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/05/world/asia/solomon-islands-quake/index.html

praying for all those in its path. i can't imagine many things more terrifying!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back