Asteroid to pass very close to Earth 2/15

Herding Cats

Reaction score
An asteroid is set to fly by the earth...in very close proximity, next week. February 15 to be exact. 2012DA14, as it's known, is "small", something to be thankful for; probably only about 140 or so feet wide; still, it will come between us and our satellites, and was only discovered last year. From what I've read and understand, it will be only 17,200 miles or so - very close - to Earth. Consider that the general space measurements are done in multiples of the distance between us and the moon, called and AU, this is passing 0.03 au's - or just a hair closer. The Tunguska Event, in 1908, was caused by a similar sized asteroid/meteor...

I've heard some stuff about it on television - mostly, "yes, it's there, it won't hit us"...but what is interesting to me is that while I *mostly* believe it won't hit us...I wonder.

This universe is a very "crowded" place, and we only know of a fraction of the asteroids out there...and with this one being discovered only last year (and by amateurs, at that)...well...let's just say I don't completely believe that we won't be hit. Mostly...yes. Mostly. But...maybe not. But at least the earth is over 70% water, so maybe, if it does hit the earth, it will be in the water...and there won't be big problems with that. Right?

And that's not even beginning to discuss the asteroid that will pass us in 2029, and then is expected to impact in 2036...

And, of course, this isn't the one which will be brighter than the sun, expected in November of this year.

Yes, folks...this is the year of the asteroid. LOL. Sorta.

Some more reading...
http://www.usatoday.com/videos/news...eroid-is-half-size-of-football-field/1895371/
http://www.weather.com/news/asteroid-close-to-earth-20130204
http://www.space.com/19646-asteroid-2012-da14-earth-flyby-complete-coverage.html
http://www.space.com/19653-asteroid-2012-da14-earth-impact-threat.html

http://news.discovery.com/space/asteroids-meteors-meteorites/safe-asteroid-2012-da14-130205.htm

Best-
Herding Cats

I would imagine that it would cause a huge tsunami if it hit in the ocean. It looks like it's quite a bit bigger than the body that caused Meteor Crater in Arizona so it would wipe out a large city if it hit there.

I would imagine that it would cause a huge tsunami if it hit in the ocean. It looks like it's quite a bit bigger than the body that caused Meteor Crater in Arizona so it would wipe out a large city if it hit there.

Actually it's slightly smaller. The Arizona crater was made by a meteor 50 meters in diameter, or 164 feet. The meteor approaching now is said to be 140 feet in diameter.

Close enough in my book, but the content of the meteors also matter. The one in AZ was made of heavy metals, adding to its mass and the force of impact. I'm not sure about this new one...

I believe the popular theory regarding the Tunguska Event was that it was a small comet which could explain why it disintegrated before it hit the ground.

I believe the popular theory regarding the Tunguska Event was that it was a small comet which could explain why it disintegrated before it hit the ground.

I had heard that, too...I think the comparisons that I've read are due to size, rather than constituency. But I'm no space geek, so I don't understand a lot of what I read...I could be wrong.

I don't really know. All I know is that an asteroid will pass on 2/15, closer than is comfortable - it's coming closer than one diameter of the earth, yanno? That's pretty close.

If they're right (they meaning NASA and MSM), and it doesn't hit us, I wonder if it will take out some satellites. It crosses the satellite plane, but the satellites are small...so who knows.

Best-
Herding Cats

I wonder if it will be visible to the naked eye. It would seem like it should be. I assume that it will be going too fast for there to be any chance that the Earth could capture it into an orbit. At that distance, there's no question that it will be influenced by Earth's gravity but that will just bend its path, assuming the mathematicians haven't made a mistake.

It could take out our HBO.:what:

Space Nerd here! I've been keeping up with DA-14 since they found it last year. It will not be large enough to see with the naked eye and even with a telescope it would be difficult to track because it's moving so fast.

If you want to see something cool, wait till summer. Comet ISON (if it doesn't turn out to be a dud) should put on quiet a show. By (I think) July, it is supposed to be as bright as the big dipper and by Nov-Dec it could be as bright as the moon and seen during daylight hours. If it doesn't burn up they are projecting it to be the brightest comet ever recorded. It's already starting to grow it's tail.

The way I deal with things like this that I completely have no control over-- is to think, well either it will hit or it won't. :couch:

I didn't know about the 2-15 astroid, but that looks mighty close for comfort. I have been keeping up with the Apophis a little, and it looks like now Nasa doesn't think it will make impact any time soon.

"(W)e have effectively ruled out the possibility of an Earth impact by Apophis in 2036," said Don Yeomans of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., in a statement. Since its discovery in 2004, impact estimates for the asteroid have steadily fallen to less than one in a million, effectively ruling out its chances of hitting us."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/sciencefair/2013/01/11/apophis-2036-nasa/1827735/

Just bumping this to the top, considering today is the pass-date...and because of what happened in Russia.

Best-
Herding Cats

It's 2:17 ET right now?

Do we start a countdown. 8 more minutes. :panic:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members