Inmate finds gun state trooper left at school gym

CJMAJORGIRL24

Reaction score
Only in Kentucky:

JAMESTOWN, Ky. (WKYT) - Tommie Bryant couldn't believe what he found amidst the candy wrappers and cups after the Russell County basketball game last Tuesday.

“I was surprised. I was scared,” said Bryant Tuesday from inside the Russell County Jail where he’s currently serving out a sentence on several charges including burglary.

Bryant was one of several work release inmates assigned to clean up after the game.

He says he felt scared for who could have found the gun or how the incident could haveturned out.

“And then knowing that kids were just there. And kids
could be coming back the next day at school,’ he said.

Next to the gun was something identifying the name of the Kentucky State Trooper the weapon belonged to.

“It said William Gregory, his badge ID, and his number on in,” Bryant said.

Billy Gregory is the Public Affairs officer at the Columbia State Police post. Bryant says he immediately yelled for a guard.

“I asked the guard, ‘surely it isn't loaded?‘ He ejected a clip and it was
full, it had a shell in the chamber,” Bryant said.

Jailer Bobby Dunbar says he's written a letter commending Bryant.

“They are reprimanded if they do something wrong. But if
they do something right we try to protocol this through the DOC,” Dunbar said.

Bryant says he hopes his actions shows that he care more about doing right...than doing wrong.

“I no longer want to break the law. My rehabilitation tells me to do the
right thing,” said Bryant.

Bryant has served 2 and a half years of a 15 year sentence. Ironically, one of his charges include being in possession of a handgun. He will be eligible for parole in September.

Trooper Gregory says he cannot talk about the incident and referred all
questions to State Police in Frankfort.

State Police say the incident is under investigation and that “due diligence” will be conducted before any action is taken. In the meantime, Trooper Gregory is still in his role as a Trooper and Public Affairs officer.

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/...er-left-after-high-school-game-189901131.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back