POLL: How do you think the prosecution will handle the cross examination of Arias?

What do you think will happen during the cross examination by the State?

• Juan will handle the cross with kid gloves

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Juan will ask only for yes or no questions

Votes: 21 11.6%
  • Juan will challenge Arias on all of her testimony

Votes: 107 59.1%
  • Juan will limit his cross to Arias testimony on the relationship

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • Juan will only focus his questioning of Arias on the murder

Votes: 29 16.0%
  • other (post and describe your "other")

Votes: 12 6.6%

• Total voters
If she ever shuts up and Juan get a chance to cross before we all die a natural death from advanced age it is my hope that he will focus on her actions the day of the murder.

With some challenging of her testimony such as driving home the fact this woman was not abused or in fear for her life. She participated in whatever sex games they were playing willingly and was not forced. If she was unhappy with her status as a sex buddy she could have walked away. She CHOOSE to be in that role in the hopes of eventually winning Travis's heart.

he will address all of her testimony.. every bit.. every nook.. every cranny

but not in a slow way in a yes..no.. answer the question Arias way

He will leave the bits that are rebuttal witnesses only in passing but he will mention them so the jury makes note of the discrepancy later

my take.

Juan will expose her as the lying Pollyanna, *advertiser censored* Star, *advertiser censored*, psycho that she is!

I think that JM will touch upon Jodi's cumulative testimony but will focus on her relationship with Travis and the murder. I hope that he emphasizes Jodi's pattern of stalking men, immersing herself in their lives, and using sex and "hurt feelings" to control her collection of boyfriends. Her small voice and child-like actions and appearance don't fool Juan Martinez: Jodi is the fabled wolf in sheep's clothing.

Im with BetteDavis. I'm torn, but the analysts all seem to agree Juan will not aggressively jump on Arias because that's what she wants - so she can prove how she cowers to aggressive men.

I'm not sure but I have an inclination that he may spare the jury the boredom Jodi has provided all this time and get right to the goods.

Im not sure Juan has to spend too much of his valuable cross-x time trying to prove Arias to be a liar - jury has already been shown that. He may touch on it, but he's got bigger fish to fry. I think he'll focus on the murder, the act, the vicicioisness of it all, the premeditation, the lying and coverup, and the aggressive hostility toward female competitors.

He'll get the jury back to the edge of their seats because this is really why they're there - to talk about the murder. He'll stick to yes and no questions and he will do so very gingerly.

And I have a feeling he'll find a sneaky way to ruffle her feathers and get her to show some of those clenched teeth remarks. I think he'll get her to get snippy and start to unravel that demure front and show that she is exceptionally capable of standing her own ground, instead of cowering - like she's pretending to do.

She will not show up on the stand and will be found dating another trial

:seeya: Morning,

I voted "Other" because I think it will be a combination of some of the things listed above ... :waitasec: Did that make sense ? lol !

JMO but I think Mr. Martinez will get down to the "nitty-gritty" and get this trial back on track to what matters most :

First Degree Pre-Meditated Murder !

I do NOT see him wanting to waste time on all the B S details that JA claims happened from when she was born through her childhood ... her past relationships ... blah blah blah ... because it has NOTHING to do with the Murder of Travis !

Sure, he will point out that she is a "liar" and he may "hit" on some of her testimony that was irrelevant to prove this, but I just don't see him wasting time on her history prior to Travis ...

Oh, one more thing : Mr. Martinez is a very experienced prosecutor, and I am certain he is "reading" the jury :waitasec: or "trying" to get a feel for the jury ...

I know I know : ya NEVER KNOW with Juries ... but I think Mr. Martinez will "weigh" each and every option that will "hit home" with the jury and get the trial back on track for Justice for Travis ...

He will certainly put an end to the Jodi BS Reality Show !

:moo:

he will address all of her testimony.. every bit.. every nook.. every cranny

but not in a slow way in a yes..no.. answer the question Arias way

He will leave the bits that are rebuttal witnesses only in passing but he will mention them so the jury makes note of the discrepancy later

my take.

I disagree with most of the claims above.
It is simply unnecessary and mostly a waste of time to dismantle all JA background biography. Martinez first and foremost must show immediately and effectively that JA is a cunning liar. He must show that JA has lied pretty much most of the time during the past 4 years. He then can proceed with the dismantlement by punctuating her answers and her prior testimony by showing she is a liar. He then will reinforce to the jury that much of what JA says or is going to say is highly suspect. Martinez must convince the jury that the entire JA defense is nothing but a “show” and mostly contrived.

Second it is important NOT to provide JA a platform from which she can continue on with her BS. Martinez’s questioning must be tight and he can effectively do this with a series of strategic yes or no questions. JA has had YEARS to polish her testimony and to prepare for the cross. She is rehearsed and relaxed. Martinez must use “surprise” tactics such as “feints” jabs and retreat” and deploy intermittent traps. JA will carefully measure everything she says in answer so Martinez must be certain – like in a game of chess – that JA cannot anticipate where a certain line of questioning is going. He must force JA into contradictions from which she cannot escape.

I will assume that Martinez will be subject to withering “objections” which will break up the cadence of questioning and allow JA more time to create an answer.
JA will feign remorse and grief so that further questioning will appear that Martinez is “beating up” on her. This will become a common thread in JA response on cross exam. Her defense has demonstrated that JA is a meek defenseless trusting and easily manipulated waif. She will respond to Martinez as if she is pained and injured by tough questions. She will play the “poor waif” role during the entire cross exam. This is another reason why Martinez must keep JA on a very tight rope and NOT allow her to act out with fits of sobbing. This is best done with graduated nuanced “yes and no” questions.
Martinez should never ask JA “Why did you ____________?” question. This will simply allow her to cry and to confabulate on the fly.

Martinez must be prepared for JA general tactics during cross:
1) On occasion JA will try to “break out” by stating “oh- I was mistaken on that point (silly me) – what I really meant to say was blah blah blah”
2) Oh!!! I said that ___________ because I did not quite understand the question. What I really mean to say is _________”
3) I am not quite sure about _______________. But to the best of my recollection ______________.
4) I just cannot remember. The experience was so AWFUL.
5) I know it appeared that way but what was really happening _____________.
6) I was really joking when I said that. I was not serious.
7) I was in a state of shock.
8) I went around in a daze and was on autopilot.
9) I always loved TA and still do.

Juan Martinez:

Ms. Arias, why are we here?
Did you cause the death of Travis Victor Alexander?

and so on and so on

Mr. Martinez will control the question and answers. He will not let Jodi go on and on about inconsequential information, IMO, and by the time he is done we will think Jodi herself has turned into a prosecution witness. I have great faith in this prosecutor.

This ain't Juan Martinez first rodeo!

I am with those that say the cross will be a combination of closed ended questions that will focus on some of her inconsistencies (the big ones, not whether she had a gande or a venti latte at Starbucks) and will stick more to questions about the time leading up to the murder and the murder itself.

I am also thinking he may try and probe the Cancun trip. Jurors love motives and this is definitely one.

I don't think he will show her crime scene photos and ask for explanations. I think he'll ask questions and then note all her lies in his closing statements. There is nothing she can possibly say to explain away the brutality of the murder. There is also nothing she can say that can explain away Travis' defensive wounds. There is nothing that she can say to explain how Travis was down on the ground and being stabbed in the back of his head and back.
Nothing. There's no "he made me do it".

The DT has tried to lay a foundation of poor wittle Jodi who was abused by her parents and then all of her life by men. Men who deceived her. Men who she trusted and they broke that trust. Who cares. None of it is any justification to plan a murder, carry it out and try and cover it up.

I had to choose other becuase I think he will do a combination of things. He is a brilliant man who knows when to turn it up or down. I feel he is going to hit her hard when it comes to the lies which trash Travis. He has had to tolerate days of it knowing the family is right behind him tolerating it too. The rest I think he will calmly dismantle. Lies proven as lies. Twisted stories untwisted. Facts made right.

I loved the way he swiftly handled Lisa and easily put her testimony (which took ages and was taken out of context) into clarity within minutes. I loved how he handled Gus, he showed us that he may be calm and clear but he isn't going to take any crapola.

He has had to wait 4 long years to go head to head with Jodi. He's had to deal with one of the most despicable, disturbing defense attorneys in history :banghead: . It's going to be fascinating to watch him bring them down and put an end to this whole ordeal. Hopefully with the proper verdict to go with it.

WHEN do you think we will see this cross examination? I have to plan out my schedule for next week, and I don't want to miss it. I assume she will go one more day of her testimony, which begins Monday Or Tuesday? Any guesses as to when she will be crossed?

I voted that he will challenge her on everything. He will go after her fast and strong, not allowing her any room to wiggle. "Is that a yes or a no, Ms. Arias" we will hear many times throughout the cross. He is a super sharp prosecutor and will make mincemeat out of her tall tales.

I would only ask yes and no questions and thus limit her ability to tell stories. I would go to proof to impeach her. Example:The hand pictures that prove that Travis didn't send her the private photos. (NOT Travis.) Focus on the crime scene and murder. Sometimes less is more, Jodi doesn't seem to get this.

Nurmi the wormie gives me the creeps almost as much as JA. If he asks her one more time "so how did this make you feel" I may spew. I think Juan will put all these worms back in the can and bring an end to this womans fantasies and lies. I think the wormie can see it coming.

I hope he challenges her until she does a Jack Nicholson. Narcissists' are supposed to get very angry when painted into a corner.... crossing my fingers!

I want to see how she reacts when Juan pulls the rug out from under some of these lies. I think we may see another JA when as bexlex says Juan "paints her into a corner". She may get that crazed Anthony Perkins/Psycho look when she realizes that her boat has a hole in it. I think he can get her to implode.

I think this trial may start to get real on the cross. She's looking bored now. It'll go from the Jodi Arias show to what it's supposed to be about justice for Travis. She can't handle the truth.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back