Bullying Attack Leaves 11-Year-Old Boy in Coma

Skagirl

Verified E.M.T.
Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/news/t/blogEn...-old-coma-213221930--abc-news-topstories.html

A Pennsylvania boy is currently in a medically induced coma after a schoolyard fight with classmates who he and his family claims were bullying him.
Sixth-grader Baily O'Neil, an honors student, of Darby Township, Pa., was involved in a fight four weeks ago at the Darby Township School. He was struck several times in the face by another student; the blow fractured his nose and he fell to the ground.

More details at the link.

They really need to file charges, in this case. A 2 day suspension?!?

It's hard to get any details on this - all I see is the exact same article copied and pasted into different news outlets or blogs.

It's hard to get any details on this - all I see is the exact same article copied and pasted into different news outlets or blogs.

I know what you mean. I've been looking everyday to see any updates or new details and I haven't found anything. I want to know more--I'm sure there's more to the story (or I at least hope there is)...

Little Baily passed away. RIP Baily.
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Bullied-Boy-Dies-in-Hospital-Family-194722531.html
I wanted to share Ray Rice's facebook status update. For those that don't know who he is, he is the running back for the Baltimore Ravens. He is a HUGE advocate for anti-bullying.

Ray Rice · 629,362 like this
10 hours ago ·
I wrote this earlier today but waited to post until I had permission from the family. This is going to be a long post so please bear with me.

A few weeks ago i shared a link to an article that a fan sent to me. It was about an 11 year old boy named Bailey who had been bullied at school. In the latest incident, Bailey was beat up on the school playground. Hit in the face and pushed to the ground, Bailey began to have severe seizures which required him to be placed into a medically induced coma.

After learning last Thursday that doctors said Bailey had no longer had any brain activity, I reached out to the family and was able to spend about 45 minutes on the phone with them. I could hear their sadness, worry, frustration and grief. They would be faced with removing their son, cousin, nephew, and best friend from life support.

Bailey passed away this morning, one day after his 12th birthday.

I don't think I will ever be able to understand why kids bully each other and how we are all sitting here after yet another "bully death" getting ready to go through this difficult task of picking up the pieces and the even more difficult task of forgiving so we can heal.

I don't know if we will ever get to a point where bullying is actually considered a CRIME, rather than "kids being kids" or a "playground incident."

I don't know if the kid that did this to Bailey will be punished severely enough or if he will receive the help I know he truly needs. Bullying doesn't happen for no reason...we have to figure out what the underlying cause it and treat it like the illness it is.

I don't know when parents, teachers, elected officials and administrators will sit up and take notice...and ACT.

But, I DO KNOW THIS: I will NOT give up my fight. Everyday I will continue to fight AGAINST bullying and fight FOR kindness.

Bailey - my little buddy, I will not let you become just another bully statistic...you are my inspiration and one more angel that will help me continue the fight for kids everywhere. You are going to help me save lives. RIP my little friend.

https://www.facebook.com/RayRice/posts/10151264880056862

This story makes me so angry. This is a crime. JMO but I think many bullies are budding sociopaths and can not be helped, still they need some form of punishment. When I was in school the teachers (not all) and principal had a tendency to blame the victim. Like, "what did you do to make Susan push you to the ground?" God bless my mother, she gave the principal and the school board an ear full. One teacher stood up for me and another joined in the bullying. I've never forgotten any of the people involved nor have any of the guilty apologized. What did I do to provoke being bullied? I was unusually tiny and skinny. JMO FWIW

This story makes me so angry. This is a crime. JMO but I think many bullies are budding sociopaths and can not be helped, still they need some form of punishment. When I was in school the teachers (not all) and principal had a tendency to blame the victim. Like, "what did you do to make Susan push you to the ground?" God bless my mother, she gave the principal and the school board an ear full. One teacher stood up for me and another joined in the bullying. I've never forgotten any of the people involved nor have any of the guilty apologized. What did I do to provoke being bullied? I was unusually tiny and skinny. JMO FWIW

Or budding psychopaths. They are more likely to grow up to be criminals.

The road to psychopathy? Why bullying in children affects us all
http://www.parentingscience.com/bullying-in-children.html

Childhood Bullies and Victims and Their Risk of Criminality in Late Adolescence
The Finnish From a Boy to a Man Study
http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=570579

There have been no criminal charges filed?

Little Baily passed away. RIP Baily.
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Bullied-Boy-Dies-in-Hospital-Family-194722531.html
I wanted to share Ray Rice's facebook status update. For those that don't know who he is, he is the running back for the Baltimore Ravens. He is a HUGE advocate for anti-bullying.

Ray Rice · 629,362 like this
10 hours ago ·
I wrote this earlier today but waited to post until I had permission from the family. This is going to be a long post so please bear with me.

A few weeks ago i shared a link to an article that a fan sent to me. It was about an 11 year old boy named Bailey who had been bullied at school. In the latest incident, Bailey was beat up on the school playground. Hit in the face and pushed to the ground, Bailey began to have severe seizures which required him to be placed into a medically induced coma.

After learning last Thursday that doctors said Bailey had no longer had any brain activity, I reached out to the family and was able to spend about 45 minutes on the phone with them. I could hear their sadness, worry, frustration and grief. They would be faced with removing their son, cousin, nephew, and best friend from life support.

Bailey passed away this morning, one day after his 12th birthday.

I don't think I will ever be able to understand why kids bully each other and how we are all sitting here after yet another "bully death" getting ready to go through this difficult task of picking up the pieces and the even more difficult task of forgiving so we can heal.

I don't know if we will ever get to a point where bullying is actually considered a CRIME, rather than "kids being kids" or a "playground incident."

I don't know if the kid that did this to Bailey will be punished severely enough or if he will receive the help I know he truly needs. Bullying doesn't happen for no reason...we have to figure out what the underlying cause it and treat it like the illness it is.

I don't know when parents, teachers, elected officials and administrators will sit up and take notice...and ACT.

But, I DO KNOW THIS: I will NOT give up my fight. Everyday I will continue to fight AGAINST bullying and fight FOR kindness.

Bailey - my little buddy, I will not let you become just another bully statistic...you are my inspiration and one more angel that will help me continue the fight for kids everywhere. You are going to help me save lives. RIP my little friend.

https://www.facebook.com/RayRice/posts/10151264880056862

Thank you for posting this. It's not the outcome I was expecting for Bailey. It's really hard for me to imagine that this sort of thing can happen from one kid beating up another kid--like, how did this happen in school?
I'm just speechless at the moment.

Being hit in the face especially with a broken nose can drive the bone splinters into the brain or you can have a concussion with a clot. Maybe it wasn't the intended outcome but it is still a crime. Some one needs to do something about this child's death. What else will the kid who did this need to do.....kill someone else?

Because of being bullied I have been self conscious and afraid of my shadow. Add social anxiety to the mix and I have been a target all my life. Still it made me determined to "show them" by going to college and getting as far from my home town as I could go. Baily didn't have a chance. It breaks my heart.

There have been no criminal charges filed?

If I understand correctly, there was a significant time lapse between the alleged incident and Bailey having seizures and going to the hospital. Because of that, I think it would take some time to investigate, as there's a chance it was an unrelated medical cause.

There are so few details released about this incident it's impossible to tell what happened. The only things released by the media - from what I can tell - are that the fight was between two boys with one boy standing by apparently in emotional support of the boy who was fighting Bailey. And that the boy who fought Bailey had no prior discipline problems with the school.

No word on the other boy's injuries, what started the fight, did it appear to be a "fair" fight at the time, did it appear to anyone that the injuries were severe, etc.

School yard fist fights don't necessarily equate to crimes, and in this case there is no information released.

Prayers for Bailey's family in their loss.

Any word on the names of the bullies ?
It seems like the school is protecting them; imo.
Very sad situation !

I don't think the school is protecting them. As the children involved are minors, I don't believe the school can release their names, particularly as no charges have been filed. Furthermore, if the investigation does uncover that Baily's death was the result of an unrelated medical issue, rather than the fight, the school would be in a host of trouble.

Bullying is terrible, and I feel terrible for Baily's family. The death of a child is always tragic. However, the investigation needs to take its course, as this case is ambiguous.

Any word on the names of the bullies ?
It seems like the school is protecting them; imo.
Very sad situation !

The childrens names will not be released, schools have privacy laws. Even if this happened anywhere else, these children are still minors and their names would not be released. Im not sure why we need their names anyways?!?

Thank you for posting this. It's not the outcome I was expecting for Bailey. It's really hard for me to imagine that this sort of thing can happen from one kid beating up another kid--like, how did this happen in school?
I'm just speechless at the moment.
I can tell you how it happened. I was bullied in elementary school. This was 1971. I was pushed into a fight and the crowd formed a circle so I couldn't escape. The bullying had been going on for over two years. They all expected to see me get pummeled. It happened at recess on the playground when no adults were around. I could've easily been Bailey, except that I dug my nails into this girl's arms and pinned her to keep her from hitting me. I drew blood and she backed off.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back