1301 users online (279 members and 1022 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

It is raining SPIDERS in Brazil

I don't know what I would do. Probably curl up in a ball in the back of my closet and and rock back and forth.

Video at link....
    http://gawker.com/5982891/meanwhile-...aining-spiders
    ^^^^^ My posts are all IMO, JMO, MOO unless I have included a link^^^^^

That's creepy, but I was expecting it to be even worse like them literally falling from the sky. They seem to be hanging off webs. Still way too creepy though.

Well, I'm not sure how it would be possible for them to actually be falling from the sky but nevertheless I would not be going anywhere. This is just not ok.

I don't understand.

Is that just miles and miles of huge spider webs, everywhere you turn???
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

That is what it looks like to me Katy. The thing is, when he gets a close up, these are largeish sized spiders to just be dangling all over the place! They aren't babies...well, I hope they're not babies...

Quote Originally Posted by princesspjs View Post
    I don't know what I would do. Probably curl up in a ball in the back of my closet and and rock back and forth.

Video at link....
    Move over, I've got six cases of Raid and I'll join you. Here take a can yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by SpriteGal View Post
    That's creepy, but I was expecting it to be even worse like them literally falling from the sky. They seem to be hanging off webs. Still way too creepy though.
    Did you notice the water on the lens of the camera. It's at least sprinkling. A heavy rain would knock those suckers onto the ground!!

I just read a part of the article and this cracked me up. Especially the last observation of the reporter....I'm still

G1 spoke with a local biologist who identified the spider as Anelosimus eximius — a "social spider" species known for its massive colonies and "sheet webs." He characterized the phenomenon as "normal," which it most certainly is not.

Video at link....
    Wow...I wouldn't/couldn't watch the video but OMG! My kids would have a full-time job keeping those away from me. They complain now when I call them up two flights of stairs to take care of a spider "situation" (iow, one small spider).
    My posts are and believe it or not I've put some thought into 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by nosysw View Post
    Wow...I wouldn't/couldn't watch the video but OMG! My kids would have a full-time job keeping those away from me. They complain now when I call them up two flights of stairs to take care of a spider "situation" (iow, one small spider).
    What'll you do when they move out?
    Last edited by Steely Dan; 02-09-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: misspelling

"which it most certainly is not" -- ROFL!!!

I really like spiders. Despite that one of our nastier species here in down under land tried to kill me a couple years ago. It failed (obviously) but left me permanently disabled. BUT I still like spiders, in general. Just not THAT particular one.

Anyhow, the whole idea of social spiders is awesome. I'd really like to know more about how they communicate, and whether there's other examples of 'hive' spiders in the world.

If they are not venomous, I'd so be out there in the middle of them. What an incredible thing to experience. Not that we lack in jaw dropping arachnids here...

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    What'll you do when the move out?
    Hmmmm...DH will have to take up the slack. In this economy, though, I think it will be a while before I have to worry about it. I think they said about 1/3 of kids who leave home now come back.
    My posts are and believe it or not I've put some thought into 'em.

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Ausgirl View Post
    "which it most certainly is not" -- ROFL!!!

I really like spiders. Despite that one of our nastier species here in down under land tried to kill me a couple years ago. It failed (obviously) but left me permanently disabled. BUT I still like spiders, in general. Just not THAT particular one.

Anyhow, the whole idea of social spiders is awesome. I'd really like to know more about how they communicate, and whether there's other examples of 'hive' spiders in the world.

If they are not venomous, I'd so be out there in the middle of them. What an incredible thing to experience. Not that we lack in jaw dropping arachnids here...

Yikes! Permanently disabled!! I think I saw a documentary about spiders and they mentioned a spider in Australia that's the most venomous in the world. I forget what they called it. I'm assuming that's the one that gotcha. Thank God you're ok, for the most part.

There is a guy in Australia who put his videos of spider hunting in his house it was just like those huge ones like Ausgirl posted. It was so horrific that I had to watch. Plus he was really kind of funny. He started using the vacuum hose to get them and you can actually see the spider sort of being sucked in but still hanging on to the wall. Then you can hear it get sucked in. Those things are gigantic in Australia! I think I'd just have to burn the house down instead of confront one of those.

There is a guy in Australia who put his videos of spider hunting in his house it was just like those huge ones like Ausgirl posted. It was so horrific that I had to watch. Plus he was really kind of funny. He started using the vacuum hose to get them and you can actually see the spider sort of being sucked in but still hanging on to the wall. Then you can hear it get sucked in. Those things are gigantic in Australia! I think I'd just have to burn the house down instead of confront one of those.
    Do you have a link for this guy?? I would live to see this hehe...
    Thanks
    Just my, no one elses

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast