It is raining SPIDERS in Brazil

Reaction score
I don't know what I would do. Probably curl up in a ball in the back of my closet and and rock back and forth.

rainingspiders_zpsa8a617de.jpg

Video at link....
http://gawker.com/5982891/meanwhile-in-brazil-its-raining-spiders

That's creepy, but I was expecting it to be even worse like them literally falling from the sky. They seem to be hanging off webs. Still way too creepy though.

Well, I'm not sure how it would be possible for them to actually be falling from the sky but nevertheless I would not be going anywhere. This is just not ok.

I don't understand. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Is that just miles and miles of huge spider webs, everywhere you turn??? :what: :what:

That is what it looks like to me Katy. The thing is, when he gets a close up, these are largeish sized spiders to just be dangling all over the place! They aren't babies...well, I hope they're not babies... :what:

I don't know what I would do. Probably curl up in a ball in the back of my closet and and rock back and forth.

rainingspiders_zpsa8a617de.jpg

Video at link....

smiley-scared002.gif
Move over, I've got six cases of Raid and I'll join you. Here take a can yourself.

That's creepy, but I was expecting it to be even worse like them literally falling from the sky. They seem to be hanging off webs. Still way too creepy though.

Did you notice the water on the lens of the camera. It's at least sprinkling. A heavy rain would knock those suckers onto the ground!!
smiley-scared002.gif

I just read a part of the article and this cracked me up. Especially the last observation of the reporter....I'm still :giggle:

G1 spoke with a local biologist who identified the spider as Anelosimus eximius — a "social spider" species known for its massive colonies and "sheet webs." He characterized the phenomenon as "normal," which it most certainly is not.

Wow...I wouldn't/couldn't watch the video but OMG! My kids would have a full-time job keeping those away from me. They complain now when I call them up two flights of stairs to take care of a spider "situation" (iow, one small spider).

What'll you do when they move out?

"which it most certainly is not" -- ROFL!!!:floorlaugh:

I really like spiders. Despite that one of our nastier species here in down under land tried to kill me a couple years ago. It failed (obviously) but left me permanently disabled. BUT I still like spiders, in general. Just not THAT particular one.

Anyhow, the whole idea of social spiders is awesome. I'd really like to know more about how they communicate, and whether there's other examples of 'hive' spiders in the world.

If they are not venomous, I'd so be out there in the middle of them. What an incredible thing to experience. Not that we lack in jaw dropping arachnids here...

health_bar_spider.jpg

What'll you do when the move out?

Hmmmm...DH will have to take up the slack. In this economy, though, I think it will be a while before I have to worry about it. I think they said about 1/3 of kids who leave home now come back.

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread!:what:

"which it most certainly is not" -- ROFL!!!:floorlaugh:

I really like spiders. Despite that one of our nastier species here in down under land tried to kill me a couple years ago. It failed (obviously) but left me permanently disabled. BUT I still like spiders, in general. Just not THAT particular one.

Anyhow, the whole idea of social spiders is awesome. I'd really like to know more about how they communicate, and whether there's other examples of 'hive' spiders in the world.

If they are not venomous, I'd so be out there in the middle of them. What an incredible thing to experience. Not that we lack in jaw dropping arachnids here...

health_bar_spider.jpg

Yikes! Permanently disabled!! I think I saw a documentary about spiders and they mentioned a spider in Australia that's the most venomous in the world. I forget what they called it. I'm assuming that's the one that gotcha. Thank God you're ok, for the most part. :hug:

There is a guy in Australia who put his videos of spider hunting in his house it was just like those huge ones like Ausgirl posted. It was so horrific that I had to watch. Plus he was really kind of funny. He started using the vacuum hose to get them and you can actually see the spider sort of being sucked in but still hanging on to the wall. Then you can hear it get sucked in. Those things are gigantic in Australia! I think I'd just have to burn the house down instead of confront one of those.

There is a guy in Australia who put his videos of spider hunting in his house it was just like those huge ones like Ausgirl posted. It was so horrific that I had to watch. Plus he was really kind of funny. He started using the vacuum hose to get them and you can actually see the spider sort of being sucked in but still hanging on to the wall. Then you can hear it get sucked in. Those things are gigantic in Australia! I think I'd just have to burn the house down instead of confront one of those.

Do you have a link for this guy?? I would live to see this hehe...
Thanks

I have several big specimens of those spiders in the picture in my house right now. They're called huntsman spiders and are actually harmless.

I wouldn't like to see vacuum cleaner guy doing his thing, as it would make me angry.. these critters are very shy and most useful, as they will eat their weight in mosquitoes every day.

I used to keep them in my room on purpose, as a child. :D They are soft and fuzzy when you pet them, like velvet. And you can hold them on your hand without being bitten. Even if they do get a scare and bite, it's less painful than a bull ant, and no venom at all.

The biggest one I ever saw in the house - well, I tried to catch it with a large salad bowl.. and the bowl wasn't quite big enough! Probably twice the size of an adult hand, in legs. Golf ball sized body. She was really something! Too big for even me to want inside, so I let her go in a tree in the yard. :)

Dan, what you're talking about with the most venomous spider is a Sydney funnelweb. None of those around where I live, thank goodness.

I was bitten by a white tail (UGH), which is not so poisonous (ew, butt ugly though) but the nasty bacteria in its mouth caused an extremely bad systemic infection which in turn blew up a dormant congenital issue...so yeah, that was pretty horrible.

But there's worse things in the world. Like killer people. Give me a spider any day!

Wow! No offense intended Ausgirl but I have officially crossed Australia off my bucket list. Spiders bigger than salad bowls? Nope, not for me.

Do you have a link for this guy?? I would live to see this hehe...
Thanks

Ok, I found all of his spider videos in this playlist he did. The really funny part is that this man is terrified of spiders but he does what he has to to protect his family. Including middle of the night spider hunts.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0A8051F36A237A43

Then, there is this guy who is kind of a nerd and terrified of spiders but, he finds the nastiest hugest spiders and he wants them gone but he doesn't want to hurt them. He's funny too.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL067AAD71306A9C69

I have several big specimens of those spiders in the picture in my house right now. They're called huntsman spiders and are actually harmless.

I wouldn't like to see vacuum cleaner guy doing his thing, as it would make me angry.. these critters are very shy and most useful, as they will eat their weight in mosquitoes every day.

I used to keep them in my room on purpose, as a child. :D They are soft and fuzzy when you pet them, like velvet. And you can hold them on your hand without being bitten. Even if they do get a scare and bite, it's less painful than a bull ant, and no venom at all.

The biggest one I ever saw in the house - well, I tried to catch it with a large salad bowl.. and the bowl wasn't quite big enough! Probably twice the size of an adult hand, in legs. Golf ball sized body. She was really something! Too big for even me to want inside, so I let her go in a tree in the yard. :)

Dan, what you're talking about with the most venomous spider is a Sydney funnelweb. None of those around where I live, thank goodness.

I was bitten by a white tail (UGH), which is not so poisonous (ew, butt ugly though) but the nasty bacteria in its mouth caused an extremely bad systemic infection which in turn blew up a dormant congenital issue...so yeah, that was pretty horrible.

But there's worse things in the world. Like killer people. Give me a spider any day!

:gasp: Right now you have several of those in your house??? And you are ok with that??? :gasp:

Both of the you tube guys that I like and posted above don't kill them. The vacuum just sucks them up and he takes them outside to release.

Because they eat their weight in mosquitoes every day. I might be this / close to allowing them to stay and getting over my fears.

Wow! No offense intended Ausgirl but I have officially crossed Australia off my bucket list. Spiders bigger than salad bowls? Nope, not for me.

That is disturbing isn't it. Don't worry the emus will protect you.

Are you majorly snowed in now? We got about 13 inches and the storm has passed. After seeing the movie, I never would have thought Nemo was such an :butthead: hole.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back