975 users online (164 members and 811 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

AK - Mackenzie Howard, 13, found dead in Kake church, 5 Feb 2013

Death of Kake Girl being Investigated as a Homicide

By Abby Hancock and Chris Klint Channel 2 News 1:27 p.m. AKST, February 6, 2013 ANCHORAGE, Alaska—

Alaska State Troopers say the death of Mackenzie Howard, 13, is being investigated as a homicide Thursday, as the Southeast village of Kake comes together after the discovery of her body at a local church Tuesday night.

Shipley says the town hosted a memorial Tuesday for a well-respected local elder. Ipsen says many people who attended the service have since left town, a factor which may complicate troopers' investigation.

Anyone with information on the case is asked to call AST dispatchers in Ketchikan at 907-225-5118.
    Last edited by bessie; 02-09-2013 at 04:54 AM.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Troopers: 13 Year Old Kake Girl Murdered

by Matthew Smith
    Story Created: Feb 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM AKST

“We do not believe it was a very long period of time that she was deceased before she was found,” said Lieutenant Rex Leath with the Alaska Bureau of Investigation. “When I say not a very long period of time, we're talking a matter of less than a couple of hours.”

Kake: Mackenzie Howard Autopsy Completed by Medical Examiner

4:41 p.m. AKST, February 8, 2013

(The article says autopsy results have not yet been released.)

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Candlelight Vigils For Mackenzie Howard Set for Friday

By The Associated Press & Mallory Peebles 12:10 p.m. AKST, February 8, 2013 JUNEAU, Alaska—

The Juneau Empire says candlelight vigils are being planned across the state for 6 p.m. Friday. Kake's vigil will be held at the Old Grade School, one of Howard's favorite spots to play basketball

Last edited by bessie; 02-09-2013 at 04:53 AM.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

aw

Some links to provide general info about the area/community where this happened.

http://www.kakefirstnation.org/

http://www.city-data.com/city/Kake-Alaska.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kake,_Alaska

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

http://juneauempire.com/local/2013-0...d#.URX0zaXonVs

Picture at link was taken mere hours before her murder. She is surrounded by funeral type flower arrangements and in a boat. She is beaming in the photo.

Just so hurtful that someone so full of light can be killed at the hands of another just hours later.

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

That picture in the boat is so sweet with her big smile. How could anyone do this to her? Another infuriating tragedy.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

What a lovely girl! Such a terrible loss. My deepest condolences to her family. This happened on the 5th.....I wonder when a COD will be made public. What kind of a monster would do this to a little girl. Rest in the arms of angels Mackenzie.

Photos from the candlelight vigil at this link.

http://www.adn.com/2013/02/08/278273...mackenzie.html

People are posting condolences at this Facebook page set up to plan the vigils.

Candlelight Vigil for Mackenzie

Katydid's right. Another infuriating tragedy. Stupid and senseless.

Kake is a small, tightknit community of about 600 people, but the perp probably isn't one of them. A memorial for an elder took place on Tuesday night, and many visitors came from out of town to attend. Now they're gone, and it could be difficult for LE to catch up with the killer.

“She was always laughing,” Howard’s older half-sister Miranda James-McGraw, 22, said. “She had a huge goofy personality, she could brighten anyone’s day. She would always brighten my day.”

“If you ever met her, she’s one of the most positive people I’ve ever known,” said Jennifer Weisbecker, the girlfriend of Howard’s brother Nick Dixson. “She had the biggest smile, she was always making people happy, she just *— she didn’t have a mean bone in her body.”

“There’s no one else like her in the world,” 20-year-old Dixson said, adding that for Christmas he got his sister book lights and gift cards for her Kindle. Howard had already worn out her first Kindle and was on her second one, he said.

http://juneauempire.com/local/2013-0...d#.URYR6GeoqSp

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Death officially ruled a homicide, but LE remains mum on the details.

An autopsy has confirmed that 13-year-old Kake resident Mackenzie Howard died as a result of a homicide, according to the Alaska Bureau of Investigation.

An Alaska State Trooper lieutenant overseeing the investigation said Saturday he could not reveal what type of injuries Howard suffered, if investigators had found a murder weapon, or if there was evidence of a sexual assault.

http://www.adn.com/2013/02/09/278349...s-village.html

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

So terribly sad I was about to ask what kind of person would murder such a sweet and happy girl, but then realised that that was pointless as the unexplainable happens in this world constantly.

Rest peacefully sweetheart x

Such a beautiful, happy child so full of life.

Tragic, senseless and unfair.

RIP Mackenzie.

Prayers for her family and loved ones.

Kip Howard said his daughter ate food with him before she went to visit with her friends. She returned to his table for dessert and said she was going to walk home, he said.

He last saw her alive about 9:45 p.m.

Mackenzie didn't arrive at home, Kip said. He drove around in his pickup and started searching for her on foot. Kip and his wife, Marla, called around but nobody had seen their daughter. Kip was still looking around the village shortly before 11 p.m. when the pastor's wife called his cellphone from the Memorial Presbyterian Church -- about 25 feet across the road from the family's home -- and told him to come quickly to the church.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2013/02/09/278349...#storylink=cpy

Such a sad sad story, precious child.

It reads as though the window of opportunity is only about an hours time.

Sometimes it's just too depressing.

RIP Mackenzie.

RIP Mackenzie. You were a beautiful warm-hearted loving young lady, anticipating a life filled with joy and many opportunities. I loved that picture of you with your bold red glasses, and gorgeous smile - making a statement of your love of life. Someone stole all of this from you and that someone needs to be caught and punished to the full extent of the law.
    My heartfelt sympathies go out to the family and friends of Mackenzie.

awful. Killed 25 feet across the road.

How terrible for her family to know that she was killed so very close to home, at the church no less. Just awful.

So what was the memorial for and what types of individuals would have been coming from out of town to attend?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast