1155 users online (207 members and 948 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Pope Benedict XVI resigned-Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina has been elected

Pope Benedict XVI is resigning on Feb. 28, the Vatican has announced.

Read more: http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/metro...#ixzz2KaVw8600

weird

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...02-11-06-24-15

Benedict called his choice "a decision of great importance for the life of the church."
    It's my opinion if no link provided.

Misspellings due to fat fingers

Words matter.

You don't know what you don't know.

Wow, did not see this coming.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

Pope Benedict XVI announced Monday he will resign on February 28 because of his failing health, saying he no longer has the strength to carry out his duties.His statement was posted on the Vatican Radio website.

"After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry," the pontiff's statement said.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...ican-says?lite

I started a thread on this too, but it's downstairs. Here is an article from his last birthday, which is interesting to read again now:

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...-xvi-john-paul

VATICAN CITY — Pope Benedict XVI turned 85 on Monday (April 16) amid renewed speculation about his declining health and possible resignation.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Hmm I never got the same feeling towards him as I did with JP, he was a wonderful person imo had a very warm demeanour.

Hopefully the will appoint someone slightly younger?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; The point is to discover them.

Jodi Ann Arias - GUILTY 1st Degree Murder

Sentence - LIFE Without Parole

Apparently it has been 600 years since the last Pope resigned.

I never "warmed up" to this pope for some reason. Pope John Paul had all the qualities of a good leader and even the young generation looked up to him. Just my perception and I could be totally off.

I'm hoping our next one will be younger and can address some of the issues dealing with our younger generation. I believe the Catholic faith needs restructuring. Not sure I'm using the right term but it needs to be more inviting to the young. They have done a lousy job in that area, imo.

My as a Catholic

Not sure too many young men are looking at priesthood and that is another big problem the Catholics face.

Anyway, wishing the Pope a healthy retirement.
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    Apparently it has been 600 years since the last Pope resigned.
    Wow
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

This caught me WAY off guard. God bless you Pope Benedict XVI, and may the Holy Spirit help guide the Cardinals to select the right successor for you, in Jesus' Holy Name, amen!

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    I never "warmed up" to this pope for some reason. Pope John Paul had all the qualities of a good leader and even the young generation looked up to him. Just my perception and I could be totally off.

I'm hoping our next one will be younger and can address some of the issues dealing with our younger generation. I believe the Catholic faith needs restructuring. Not sure I'm using the right term but it needs to be more inviting to the young. They have done a lousy job in that area, imo.

My as a Catholic

Not sure too many young men are looking at priesthood and that is another big problem the Catholics face.

Anyway, wishing the Pope a healthy retirement.
    Pope John Paul II was the youngest Pope ever put in office. I think that was the purpose - to lure the young people back to the faith. But, because he was so young he lasted much longer in office that anyone thought he would - too many policies and dictates did/could he make - so now I doubt they'll ever elect a "young" Pope again.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

I think most never warmed to this pope because overall he has the personality of a scholar, which he has always been. Not all popes can and do have the personality of a JPII or John XXIII. While a lot of news has been focused during his papacy on his conservative nature, not a lot has been paid to what he has written on the environment, politics, immigration, and economics and labor (American Catholics who vote republican should take note, but surely haven't or won't).

From what I have read, I don't think that Benedict wanted the Papacy to begin with, so while it's a bit of a surprise, it certainly isn't a shock now that I think on it. I wish him a restful and healthy retirement.

That said, I am hoping that the next pope will be chosen from among the central or south American church.

That's MO for what it's worth, as an on-again, off-again Catholic lol.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRose99 View Post
    Pope John Paul II was the youngest Pope ever put in office. I think that was the purpose - to lure the young people back to the faith. But, because he was so young he lasted much longer in office that anyone thought he would - too many policies and dictates did/could he make - so now I doubt they'll ever elect a "young" Pope again.
    I'm not sure it was so much his age as it was his charisma, plus political interests in that he was from Poland.

I think Pope Benedict XVI did a good job filling some HUGE shoes.

It is odd that he would resign mid-Lent, rather than waiting until after Easter. That makes me think his health is rapidly declining.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

You're right, Dark Knight. I know the Holy Week is particularly grueling for Popes - he must have wanted to avoid that, by resigning prior to it.

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast