714 users online (96 members and 618 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Joe Paterno's Family Releases It's Own Report critical of Freeh Report

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...-total-failure

Joe Paterno family releases report
    Updated: February 10, 2013, 10:04 PM ET
    ESPN.com

...Among the many Freeh conclusions the Paterno family report challenges is an email exchange that the Freeh report states is evidence Paterno and others knew about and closely followed a 1998 police investigation of Sandusky for sexual assault, which ended without charges being filed. In one email from Curley, with a Subject Line of "Jerry," Schultz is asked: "Anything new in this department? Coach is anxious to know where it stands."

Freeh concluded "Coach" referenced Paterno and that all three were in the early stages of a cover-up.

The family report deconstructs that conclusion -- at least as it relates to Paterno -- as a "fallacy" and "unsupported opinion." Sollers writes that Freeh investigators did not interview Curley or Schultz about what the emails meant; that statements Spanier made to Freeh investigators corroborate that neither he nor Paterno knew of the 1998 investigation; that Freeh failed to confirm directly "Coach" was indeed Paterno when it could have been Sandusky or someone else; that Freeh offered no evidence about what Curley meant when he wrote the email and what, if anything, he "conveyed to 'Coach,'" and "what 'Coach' said in response."...

JMO, but this report reminds me of Doctor Spitz's testimony in the KC trial. I believe someone said that Dr. Spitz's son defined his methods. He said his father reads the medical examiners report and then attacks them for not performing completely unnecessary procedures.

This report seems the same to me. In the above snippet I have no doubt that "Coach" refers to Paterno. I think Paterno was the only guy to be known simply as "Coach" at Penn State. If it had been Sandusky I think it would have said "Coach S."
    Last edited by Steely Dan; 02-11-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Mike and Mike are going to be talking to a member of the Paterno family about this report at about 8am or 815am. You can hear them on ESPN Radio, ESPN Radio on the internet, or on the ESPN2 cable channel.

I'm probably going to go back to bed and record it.

ETA: They just said that Jay Paterno, Joe's son, will be in the studio with them at 8am

Mike Greenberg is saying that in the final days before his death JP said that he wished he had done more. I think that says a lot.

Sounds like the family is protecting the "brand".
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenlady View Post
    Sounds like the family is protecting the "brand".
    I don't understand how anyone, even a family member, can be 100% sure of what another person did. Standing up for their father/husband is understandable, they BELIEVE he had no idea and would have acted. But preparing and paying for a professional rebuttal and arranging media interviews gives me the impression "thou protests too much", and makes me agree it is all about the money and legacy. Heartfelt family members stating they are devastated by what happened to these boys and believe, if JP knew what was happening, he would have done something, is more honest and realistic.

I think JP knew, at a minimum, of one assault. One is enough. Yes, he is from a different generation, where, IMO, atrocities like this were ignored or swept under the rug, especailly for a male. That is not an excuse, but I can understand it. His family needs to stop the bullying and admit that there was a possibility, even if it was minuscule, that he knew something.
    Thank goodness the world is changing. Thank goodness men are/were willing to risk embarrassment and being called liars. I believe the men from this case have taken these crimes from the shadows and showed everyone that abuse of boys is not acceptable, it is not part of the dues of a sport, and it is not to be ignored. These are real men. They should have a statue in front of the stadium.

Jmo
    Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot. Opinion only, my posts are.

I just watched the interview and it's nothing really astounding. Jay also glosses over the McQueary incident. It sounds like a weak attempt to explain things.

He said the rule about Sandusky not bringing any Second Mile kids to the campus after Sandusky retired was based on liability issues if one of the kids were to get hurt while on campus. I wonder why this wasn't an issue before Sandusky retired. Awfully coincidental timing. JMO

It was kinda weird too. Jay never referred to Joe Paterno as dad. He only called him Joe Paterno.

I read the new report. It has not changed my mind. It is pretty lame.

The Paterno family liked their exalted status and the deference paid to them. Now they aren't getting that anymore.

Some coinky dinks that also support the Freeh conclusions:

1. Sandusky's early very early retirement from Penn State with no further employment as a football coach.

2. McQueary's subsequent promotions despite an "extremely thin resume" as one sportwriter put it.

Wonder what all else will come out during the trials of the other administators from Penn State?

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...-total-failure

Joe Paterno family releases report
    Updated: February 10, 2013, 10:04 PM ET
    ESPN.com

...Among the many Freeh conclusions the Paterno family report challenges is an email exchange that the Freeh report states is evidence Paterno and others knew about and closely followed a 1998 police investigation of Sandusky for sexual assault, which ended without charges being filed. In one email from Curley, with a Subject Line of "Jerry," Schultz is asked: "Anything new in this department? Coach is anxious to know where it stands."

Freeh concluded "Coach" referenced Paterno and that all three were in the early stages of a cover-up.

The family report deconstructs that conclusion -- at least as it relates to Paterno -- as a "fallacy" and "unsupported opinion." Sollers writes that Freeh investigators did not interview Curley or Schultz about what the emails meant; that statements Spanier made to Freeh investigators corroborate that neither he nor Paterno knew of the 1998 investigation; that Freeh failed to confirm directly "Coach" was indeed Paterno when it could have been Sandusky or someone else; that Freeh offered no evidence about what Curley meant when he wrote the email and what, if anything, he "conveyed to 'Coach,'" and "what 'Coach' said in response."...

JMO, but this report reminds me of Doctor Spitz's testimony in the KC trial. I believe someone said that Dr. Spitz's son defined his methods. He said his father reads the medical examiners report and then attacks them for not performing completely unnecessary procedures.

This report seems the same to me. In the above snippet I have no doubt that "Coach" refers to Paterno. I think Paterno was the only guy to be known simply as "Coach" at Penn State. If it had been Sandusky I think it would have said "Coach S."
    I would be surprised if Sandusky would have to ask if he, Sandusky, was being interviewed, especially since he didn't know that he was being investigated. Thornburgh missed the mark and even in text conceded the point it was probably Paterno.

Based on the e-mails, I would question how many details Paterno, or Curley, knew about the 1998 incident.

What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?

Thornburgh noted a couple of things, that he got wrong:

From: http://deadspin.com/5983121/here-is-...e-freeh-report

The usefulness of the Report is also restricted
    because many of the interviewees cited are not identified, limiting the reader’s
    ability to weigh the witnesses’ credibility and reliability.

The SIC’s lack of access to these most significant witnesses, and the Report’s other
    weaknesses about witnesses described above, calls into question the fairness, completeness,
    thoroughness, and credibility of the findings in the Freeh Report as they relate to Mr. Paterno.

The burden of proof on the
    prosecution in grand jury proceedings is not the higher burden of “beyond a reasonable doubt”
    used during criminal trials, but rather whether the person “appears to have committed” an offense.

Further, a presentment is not
    typically admissible in judicial proceedings as it constitutes inadmissible hearsay.

He has forgotten that an internal investigation is not a criminal procedure, or a civil one. The standard of proof is not "beyond a reasonable doubt." It is to be "morally convinced."

Further the rules which the NCAA operate under specifically permit a committee to use anonymous witnesses reporting to a committee and hearsay evidence.

I would also note that in the NCAA's case, the penalties were against Penn State, not Paterno.

I don't trust anything the Paterno's have to say at this point.

Colin Cowherd had Jay Paterno on his show yesterday. This morning, Cowherd played part of an interview he did with Jay back in 2010 in which the younger Paterno said his father was "dumb like a fox" and still very much in control of the ship.

Now, this story is that Joe Pa was a senile old coot for the past 15 years.

They are lying now or they were lying for the past 15 years in order to keep their father in power. Even the Pope steps down when his age and health no longer allow him to perform his duties at an adequate level.

This is about keeping Paterno's reputation clean. I don't know if it's because the family loved him so much or if they're trying to protect his marketablity. Maybe both.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
    I don't trust anything the Paterno's have to say at this point.

Colin Cowherd had Jay Paterno on his show yesterday. This morning, Cowherd played part of an interview he did with Jay back in 2010 in which the younger Paterno said his father was "dumb like a fox" and still very much in control of the ship.

Now, this story is that Joe Pa was a senile old coot for the past 15 years.

They are lying now or they were lying for the past 15 years in order to keep their father in power. Even the Pope steps down when his age and health no longer allow him to perform his duties at an adequate level.
    That's cool the CC played that clip.

I can understand how Paterno wouldn't have realized it, due to lack of expertize. That doesn't explain why in 2001 wasn't turned over to those who supposedly did know, LE and DPW.

Paterno held onto power way too long (Fox Sports, Jason Whitlock)
    Someone tell the Paternos there is a price for holding onto power too long. Tell their little adopted son Franco “Fredo” Harris, too. Tell Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett. And tell the Penn State board of trustees before it gets riled up and rejects the conclusions reached in the Freeh Report.

Joe Paterno played the game of thrones for 46 years. Only idiots and his namesakes thought he’d never lose. First power corrupts and then it evaporates. That’s the way of the world for as long as we’ve recorded history.
    ---
    the rest at the link above

Quote Originally Posted by J. J. in Phila View Post
    I can understand how Paterno wouldn't have realized it, due to lack of expertize. That doesn't explain why in 2001 wasn't turned over to those who supposedly did know, LE and DPW.
    For me, that's the whole thing in a nutshell. If McQ told Joe "fondling" and something "of a sexual nature" occurred, why not report it? If there was the slightest question that it was more than showering and "horseplay," why not report it, just to have professionals investigate it to be sure?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast