1122 users online (224 members and 898 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Carnival Ship Stranded in Gulf of Mexico

Stranded cruise passengers facing dirty conditions

By JUAN A. LOZANO, AP
    41 minutes ago

HOUSTON Family members of passengers onboard a disabled cruise ship in the Gulf of Mexico say their loved ones are trying to take the hot and dirty conditions in stride.

Jimmy Mowlam told The Associated Press on Tuesday that his son Rob and new daughter-in-law got married onboard the Carnival Triumph on Saturday and are among the roughly 3,100 stranded passengers.

He says his son told him by phone Monday night that many passengers are sleeping on deck because the lack of ventilation made it too hot to sleep inside.

He says his son says passengers were mostly "taking it in stride."

Other passengers have described more dire conditions, including water and feces on the ship's floors.

The ship is being towed to Mobile, Ala., and is expected there Thursday...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/...cid=hero_media

Red face

This scares me because we are getting set to take a cruise in a few months...
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    DH and I usually cruise every winter, but this year we went to WDW instead. We truly enjoyed the break from being on a ship but planned to cruise next winter. The news about this ship mishap has me rethinking whether or not it's a good idea.

This sounds miserable. I've been on two cruises and fortunately had a great time on both.

These poor people, and they have days more of it to face.

Sounds like fun! (Sarcasm)

I've never wanted to cruise...I get so sea sick. Hubby and I are land lubbers although we love the beach and fishing off shore or from a pier. I've never known anyone who ever had a bad time on a cruise. BIL and his wife took many cruises and enjoyed each one tremendously.

It's kind of like when you hear of an airplane crash....very rarely happens but nothing is fool proof. Nothing ventured nothing gained. At least they got there money back.
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

keeponsearching is offline The mighty Oak was once a little nut that stood its ground.
    Why couldn't they get them off by using other boats. This is unbelievable. Its 2013, but by all means carnival leave them on a stinky boat. And I am sure what they are telling us is everything is ok, but on a scale 1-10 and 10 being good, its probably a 2. What would happen if a severe storm blew through.. Argh I am never ever going on a cruise :/ It reads other carnivals are dropping off supplies... Why not pick up these people.

Quote Originally Posted by keeponsearching View Post
    Why couldn't they get them off by using other boats. This is unbelievable. Its 2013, but by all means carnival leave them on a stinky boat. And I am sure what they are telling us is everything is ok, but on a scale 1-10 and 10 being good, its probably a 2. What would happen if a severe storm blew through.. Argh I am never ever going on a cruise :/ It reads other carnivals are dropping off supplies... Why not pick up these people.
    This is what I am not understanding. There have to be plenty of boats out there in the world for hire. Organize enough and a plan to safely get the passengers out of there, and out of the unsanitary/unsafe conditions. Shouldn't there already be plans for just such a thing in place? It is not like this hasn't happened before.

I've never been interested in taking a cruise. Not because of these types of accidents. I just can't imagine being stuck in an apartment building laying on its side in the water and having to be with all of those other people all of the time. No escape. Guess I don't like being around a lot of people. I'm sure your tiny cabin is not sound proof either. I already deal with that at home, in my apartment, why would I want to deal with that if I ever had vacation time to do as a I please, lol.

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

Those poor people... horrible sanitary conditions and you know the rocking has to be awful, given that the stabilization went out the window when the thing lost its main power. If I was on board, a spot on a deck near a life boat would become my home for the duration of the hellish ride... no way, no how would I want to go into the depths of a rocking, leaning ship.

Ugh... I have an innate fear of ships, and just when I think I am ready to try to break that fear, something like this pops up in the news, reminding me that my fear is well placed...

CNN is having a segment on in 8 minutes. They are going to interview family members who received texts/calls from their loved ones while on the cruise.
    The World Has Gone Mad.

I don't understand why they are towing it to Mobile. It left from Galveston. Why not go back there? Seems like it would be closer.
    Look twice - Save a Life! Motorcycles are everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by keeponsearching View Post
    When ships are "at sea", there is no fast or easy way for other boats to reach a stranded or crippled vessel. It can take many hours, if not days, for one vessel to reach another. It's not like hopping in your car and driving from Point A to Point B and know exactly when you'll arrive. Weather and sea conditions dictate how fast sailing vessels can travel, and a massive cruise ship doesn't travel quickly - 21/22 knots at top speed in excellent conditions.

The ships that have dropped off supplies are probably sailing at full capacity as most cruises do at this time of year. There is no room for additional passengers and/or crew members. If there were stateroom vacancies, how would they determine who got to transfer to the other vessel? There is already enough chaos onboard without creating an even worse situation.

DH and I will be thinking long and hard before we book another cruise. We have 25+ cruises under our belts, but there have been too many incidents in recent years that have us rethinking how we travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Softail View Post
    I don't understand why they are towing it to Mobile. It left from Galveston. Why not go back there? Seems like it would be closer.
    There was a visual shown on one of the media reports about the stranded vessel indicating that strong currents caused the ship to drift in a south-easterly direction. Since the ship can be accommodated in Mobile, that seems to be the port of choice given the location (and sea conditions) of the ship by the time tug boats reached it.

They were interviewing friends/family of those on the boat this morning on the radio. Apparently, it is really, really bad - people are having to relieve themselves in plastic bags and showers. There is literally no food. One day, each passenger got a piece of melon, a piece of toast and some water.

I understand that trying to move them on another boat is out of the question dangerous, but my gosh, what's the excuse for not providing them food?
    The world is full of monsters with friendly faces and angels full of scars. ~ Unknown

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Don't they have boats they can load these people into? I don't understand why they are keeping them on the ship?
    Just my opinion

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast