Lehigh University student sues over grade, seeks $1.3 million

Donjeta

Adji Desir, missing from Florida
Reaction score
Lehigh University student sues over grade, seeks $1.3 million7

By Riley Yates, Of The Morning Call

12:17 a.m. EST, February 12, 2013
Megan Thode isn't the first Lehigh University student who was unhappy with the grade she received in a course. But she may be the first to sue to get it changed.

The C+ that Thode was given scuttled her dream of becoming a licensed professional counselor and was part of an effort to force her out of the graduate degree program she was pursuing, said her lawyer, Richard J. Orloski, whose lawsuit seeks $1.3 million in damages.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-lehigh-university-student-sues-over-grade-20130211,0,937005.story

I was just coming here to post this... All I can say is that she is in for a rude awakening if she thinks the value of her degree is worth $1.3 million... :rotfl:

I have several graduate degrees in Psychology. If only.

Wow! The comments under that article are brutal!

Guess what? My son was in respiratory therapy school (where a 'C' is required to pass) and missed a 'C' in ONE course by 1% point. Got booted from the program for two years over this (he will be eligible to re-enter in August 2014). Did he pizz and moan, or blame the instructor? Did he think about suing someone? Did he blame anyone except himself?
NOPE- he got a job, admitted temporary defeat, signed up for some extra classes at the local community college in the meantime, and is waiting his turn. (And studying so it doesn't happen again.)

I'd be a little worried that she may have done herself no favors suing. Maybe she was treated unfairly but appearances are everything and if potential employers think that she would rather blame other people and sue than do the required amount of hard work to succeed it's not a point in her advantage.

If this actually works and you can earn more money by getting a C+ than getting a B I may have to reconsider my approach to studying :)

Who raises these people!!!!!

If I told my father I got a C in something he would tell me to work harder. Not sue.
I am so tired of the entitlement society that seems to be emerging.

Work harder. If you were doing everything you could and studying better than to get a C guess what, You would have gotten one.

Don't worry--the judge did not rule in her favor.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-...nt-sues-over-grade-c-20130214,0,3075382.story

I'm apalled that she wouldn't try to take the class again and try to do better work. According to the article in the OP, she didn't have to pay for the classes because her father was a professor at the school, and the school also helped her find a job, and this was after she had brought the lawsuit against them.

Whew, I'm glad this turned out well. I thought it would, but sometimes you never know.

I'm wondering what made her think she needed compensation for a career that, by the sounds of it, she should never be in. She is out of control and wants to be a therapist/counselor??? Makes me think the 1.3 million law suit would eventually be against her, if she goes into practice and has not made some pretty big personal changes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back