946 users online (223 members and 723 guests)  

Websleuths News

NYC plans to stop many marijuana arraignments

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City plans to stop booking and arraigning many people arrested on low-level marijuana-possession charges............

People who get picked up on charges of having a small amount of marijuana will be released with desk appearance tickets if they have ID and no open warrants............little more at link.....

Mayor Bloomberg said change will begin next month....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

I hope more cities and states decriminalize marijuana altogether. This will allow them to make room in the prisons for violent offenders.

It's about time!

Upstate NY
    I remember when Oregon became the first state to decriminalize cannabis in 1973. Now we're rolling, no pun intended!, I thought then. It's forty years later and only thirteen other states have followed suit.

Yes, it's been like this in Oregon for years and although I'm not in favor of legalizing marijuana per se, charging small amounts as a misdemeanor is completely logical.