FL - Great Horned Owl fine after 60mph ride inside grille after being struck by SUV

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Looks a bit peeved though. As would anyone.

That ride was a hoot: Owl survives 60mph drive trapped in grill of SUV along Florida turnpike (Daily Mail)
Florida woman Sonji Coney Williams was driving down the south Florida turnpike when she picked up an unexpected, feathered hitchhiker.

She knew she'd struck something, but as it was nighttime she couldn't tell what.

'I was driving about 60 miles-per-hour, he never moved, and so I said 'Oh my god I hit a bird and I felt so bad but it was very dark and we didn't pull over' she said.

The next day, she went out to run errands but was stopped by a concerned family who noticed something odd about her vehicle.

'There was a family that pulled in front of my parking space and flagged me down and said, 'Don't move, don't move! You have something in the grill of your truck!' And I said 'Yeah, what is it?' They said, 'It's an owl.'

Williams got out and was shocked to see there two great yellow eyes peering out at her from the grill of her Ford SUV.
---
the rest, with not-to-be-missed owl pix and a video, at link above

Looks a bit peeved though. As would anyone.

RS/BBM: More like "Unless you are willing to provide me with a lifetime supply of large, live field mice in recompense, be prepared to retain legal counsel".

Those are some seriously indignant yellow eyes.

Last fall, I had one perched on my fence in the backyard for three straight days. I don't know what his/her deal was. I was going to call the Fish Game and Wildlife Dept if he was there the next morning.. But he had left. My husband thinks he was waiting for the wild rabbit that lives in my yard. I dunno. He lost, still have that rabbit hanging around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last fall, I had one perched on my fence in the backyard for three straight days. I don't know what his/her deal was. I was going to call the Fish Game and Wildlife Dept if he was there the next morning.. But he had left. My husband thinks he was waiting for the wild rabbit that lives in my yard. I dunno. He lost, still have that rabbit hanging around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would have freaked my dad out... he truly believes in an old wives tale about owls being harbingers of death, if they hang out or hoot so many days in a row near your house.

Wives tales aside... so glad the hooter in the OP was okay. They are such beautiful creatures, but seeing those eyes peering out of the grill would have freaked me out. lol

---
Also, in the native Cherokee culture, as well as many other Native American cultures, owls are a very bad omen. It is said that if you are outside in the broad day light and an owl flies over your head a family member or loved one would die within the coming week.
more here: Wiki

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back