1570 users online (345 members and 1225 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WA - Fifth-grade boys' plot to kill classmate thwarted, Colville, Feb 2013

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/14/justic...html?hpt=hp_t3

Fifth-grade boys' plot to kill a classmate thwarted
    By Michael Martinez and Carma Hassan
    updated 9:58 PM EST, Thu February 14, 2013

(CNN) -- Two fifth-grade boys armed with a stolen semi-automatic gun, ammunition clip and knife plotted to kill a classmate in Washington state but were thwarted when another student informed a school employee, authorities said Thursday.

The two boys, who told police they considered the girl rude and annoying, won't be tried as adults and will be in court next Wednesday for a capacity hearing, said Tim Rasmussen, the Stevens County prosecuting attorney....

10 years old

Monkeys see, Monkeys do. It doesn't take a great leap to see where they got the inspiration to do this. News broadcasts should carry a parental guidance warning!!!

Thankfully this pair were caught before anyone was hurt.

There are just no words sometimes.....
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Does trying as adults mean they will not be ajudicated, but will go to a youth facility until age 18 if found guilty?

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    Does trying as adults mean they will not be ajudicated, but will go to a youth facility until age 18 if found guilty?
    I don't know, but prison time doesn't sound possible. What's scary is the one kid said he'll kill whoever told on them when he gets out. I'm sure that at least one kid is a psychopath. So he'll probably end up in some serious DV trouble or murdering someone or many people. JMO

Wow. Kids scare the bejesus out of me these days.

bourne is offline "The truth shall set you free." ~JUSTICE FOR REBECCA ZAHAU
    "The two boys, ages 10 and 11, told authorities that they were also going to kill, or "get," six more students at Fort Colville Elementary School in Colville, Washington, and even identified them from a class list provided by school employees, according to court documents.

The boys' plan called for the older to stab the girl off-campus with a 3.25-inch knife last week, and the younger boy would scare off any responders with a .45-caliber Remington 1911 semi-automatic handgun, court documents said.

The younger boy had been in "a short dating relationship" with the girl, but he told authorities that "she's rude and always made fun of me and my friends," court papers said.

"Yes, I just want her dead," the younger boy told authorities. He brought the gun and knife to school, documents said.

The older boy had been friends with the girl for several months, but he wanted to kill her because she picked on and annoyed him, court papers said.

"Yes, and I wanted to kill her alone at first," the older boy told a police officer.
    The officer noticed in his interview with the older boy that he "did not display any emotion or remorse during the interview," court papers said.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/14/justice/washington

Hmm, strange resemblance at an early age to Christopher Dorner:
    - Having specific targets (list of 7 classmates to kill)
    - Holding grievances because of perceived disrespect (girl was "rude" to them)
    - Premeditated murder plot (luring the victims off-campus, and killing them one-by-one)

Something needs to be done to teach these grudge-holders how to better cope with perceived wrongs. We should start a WS thread on Solutions to improve coping skills of kids and adults towards perceived injustices.

This is really scary! Who is responsible for these kids? They stole a stolen weapon?
    There really doesn't seem to be any oversight here. WTH?
    "Crack up the music and dance!"

I'm sorry, but linking Dorner to this is tenuous to say the least.

Why not look at Eric Smith or the Jamie Bulger killers in the UK for comparisons to this case?
    Yes, there's a difference to actually carry out the act than conspiring, but the issue here is fundamentally the same. What makes our children want to kill?

bourne is offline "The truth shall set you free." ~JUSTICE FOR REBECCA ZAHAU
    Quote Originally Posted by jellybeanz View Post

Why not look at Eric Smith or the Jamie Bulger killers in the UK for comparisons to this case?
    Yes, there's a difference to actually carry out the act than conspiring, but the issue here is fundamentally the same. What makes our children want to kill?
    I don't believe so. Kids get their ideas from what they see on tv, from the media, in movies, etc. I don't think it's a reach that these kids saw the big hoopla about Dorner and decided hey, WTH, let me do the same to get my revenge on my classmates who wronged me.

Quote Originally Posted by bourne View Post
    I don't believe so. Kids get their ideas from what they see on tv, from the media, in movies, etc. I don't think it's a reach that these kids saw the big hoopla about Dorner and decided hey, WTH, let me do the same to get my revenge on my classmates who wronged me.
    That's what I said in my previous post on this thread. Monkey see, monkey do.

However, this was in the planning before Dorner became front page news so for me the point you are making is moot.

The two boys told another student two weeks earlier about the plot to kill the girl and were going to pay him $80 to keep it secret, the court filings said.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/14/ju...html?hpt=hp_t3

Quote Originally Posted by jellybeanz View Post

Film, TV, Video Games....JMO
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    Film, TV, Video Games....JMO
    Parents, that's all I blame is parents. I have friends with teenage boys and they play games and watch movies and TV and they aren't like that. It's my belief that it's weak parenting. JMO

When I was a kid they used to blame dungeons and dragons for violence among teens and kids. of course, that's when they were talking about good suburban white kids being violent! No one cared about the kids in my city shooting each other, because, well, they were just gang banger minorities, and what else could you expect.

WHen my father was a kid in the city, youth violence was blamed on being from poor, shiftless immigrant families. Another for that.

It's not new, its not video games, and it might not even be parents. Children have poor impulse control. Couple that with easy access to weapons and it's a recipe for disaster. We only hear about all these thwarted attempts now due to past, highly covered events like Columbine, etc.

Thank goodness through, that these kids were found out before something happened.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

Reading some of the articles posted on the 20th anniversary of James Bulger's murder, I saw that murders of children by children were recorded as far back as the mid 1700s. There were no violent video games and dungeons and dragons then. Poor parenting, poor impulse control, lack of supervision, physical abuse in the home, those are the kind of things you find in common among all cases. I don't think violent media has anything to do with it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast