1094 users online (213 members and 881 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Even moderate drinking may substantially raise risk of dying from cancer: study

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1265529

Alcohol causes about 19,500 cancer deaths each year — and even as little as 1.5 drinks per day can make you part of that statistic, according to a sobering new study.

The research, published in the American Journal of Public Health, is the first in several decades to examine deaths from a variety of cancers that can be attributed to alcohol consumption, said lead study author David E. Nelson of the National Cancer Institute.............

Furthermore, while the risk of death was greatest among people who had three or more drinks per day, about 30% of deaths occurred among people who consumed 20 ounces, the equivalent of 1.5 drinks, per day.

"There's no question that people who drink more frequently are at greater risk," Nelson said. "What we do know is that alcohol is a cancer-causing agent. There is no acceptable or safe level."

More at link.......

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

i didn't know breast cancer could be in part caused by alcohol. my dad died of esophageal cancer, which was mentioned in the article. it is a horrible, horrible cancer and can be caused by drinking and smoking.
    Last edited by blue_the_puppy; 02-16-2013 at 03:43 PM.

My alcoholic SIL who also smoked died of throat cancer fairly young. But, my BIL got esophageal cancer and has never drank or smoked in years since he was young. He had the horrible surgery and recovered somewhat.

20 ounces = 1.5 drinks? Of what?

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysShocked View Post
    20 ounces = 1.5 drinks? Of what?
    Yeah we need to find out what we can still drink!
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

One day a study comes out and says drinking in moderation is good for you, them you get this report. Which one should we believe? I'm choosing that its good for me! If I worry about everything I eat and drink, I'll die of stress!