Even moderate drinking may substantially raise risk of dying from cancer: study

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...ses-cancer-death-risk-study-article-1.1265529

Alcohol causes about 19,500 cancer deaths each year — and even as little as 1.5 drinks per day can make you part of that statistic, according to a sobering new study.

The research, published in the American Journal of Public Health, is the first in several decades to examine deaths from a variety of cancers that can be attributed to alcohol consumption, said lead study author David E. Nelson of the National Cancer Institute.............

Furthermore, while the risk of death was greatest among people who had three or more drinks per day, about 30% of deaths occurred among people who consumed 20 ounces, the equivalent of 1.5 drinks, per day.

"There's no question that people who drink more frequently are at greater risk," Nelson said. "What we do know is that alcohol is a cancer-causing agent. There is no acceptable or safe level."

More at link.......

i didn't know breast cancer could be in part caused by alcohol. my dad died of esophageal cancer, which was mentioned in the article. it is a horrible, horrible cancer and can be caused by drinking and smoking.

My alcoholic SIL who also smoked died of throat cancer fairly young. But, my BIL got esophageal cancer and has never drank or smoked in years since he was young. He had the horrible surgery and recovered somewhat.

One day a study comes out and says drinking in moderation is good for you, them you get this report. Which one should we believe? I'm choosing that its good for me! If I worry about everything I eat and drink, I'll die of stress!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back