581 users online (55 members and 526 guests)  

Websleuths News

Too Smart To Be A Cop?

A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-b...story?id=95836

This country has more problems than we ever knew.

In My Opinion

Thus the "dumb cop" quote......so unfair!

seriously??

WTH
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Ha.

Our local police force will not even give you an interview unless you have either a college or university degree and can type 50 words/minute.

Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

I don't think intelligence is necessarily correlated with poor tolerance of routine tasks and boredom. I bet many of you know easily bored people who aren't particularly bright. Aren't there any career advancement opportunities in the police force for people who are, like, I don't know... like really good in solving crimes?

An IQ of 125 is not really even an Einstein or a Hawking. Just a normal, very smart person.

Was this in recent news headlines? It's dated in the year 2000.

This kills me. One of my neighbors (and favorite people) is a cop. I guarantee his IQ is through the roof. He's reluctant to move up in the department because he loves what he does and cares about the people in his area. I believe his intelligence is much of what makes him more compassionate and able to relate to others. I'm betting that, in a few years, they're going to see a backlash for these choices. I'm also wondering if there was something else going on here. Maybe something on the psych test that they didn't mention?

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    I don't think intelligence is necessarily correlated with poor tolerance of routine tasks and boredom. I bet many of you know easily bored people who aren't particularly bright. Aren't there any career advancement opportunities in the police force for people who are, like, I don't know... like really good in solving crimes?

An IQ of 125 is not really even an Einstein or a Hawking. Just a normal, very smart person.

Was this in recent news headlines? It's dated in the year 2000.
    Yes, this article was on one of my sites the day I posted it. I always look for dates, but can't always find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-b...story?id=95836

This country has more problems than we ever knew.

In My Opinion
    Apparently, this isn't in the problem in my neck of the woods. Lack of intelligence seems to be the problem. IOW, they give them a ticket book, a car, a gun, and then a year to complete their training. See a problem there?
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!"

The above post is my opinion and my opinion only. Please do not copy and past to other forums.

Quote Originally Posted by tezi View Post
    Apparently, this isn't in the problem in my neck of the woods. Lack of intelligence seems to be the problem. IOW, they give them a ticket book, a car, a gun, and then a year to complete their training. See a problem there?
    Either way I see problems - and lots of them.