Women Told To Urinate To Deter Rape

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Women told to urinate to deter a rapist

School spokesman says list taken out of context

Author: By Lateef Mungin CNN

Published On: Feb 20 2013 03:23:45 AM EST Updated On: Feb 20 2013 06:56:52 AM EST

(CNN) -
A Colorado school has caused a stir with an advisory that suggested women could urinate or vomit to deter a rape.

The list of 10 tips by the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs was billed as "last resort" options to deter a sexual assault.

"Tell your attacker that you have a disease or are menstruating," read one tip.

"Vomiting or urinating may also convince the attacker to leave you alone," read another.

By Tuesday night, the list was taken down and replaced by an explanation and an apology. But it was too late...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...896/-/format/rsss_2.0/-/106y0gcz/-/index.html

I had always been taught that urinating or even defacating on the perp was supposedly helpful..of course this was after screaming and biting etc and as a last resort. I really don't see what is wrong with this if it saves someone.

What if the attacker sees the urination as a signal the woman is excited? Of if the attacker has a urination fetish (golden showers)?

Vomiting may help, but I haven't met anyone that can vomit at will, meaning without sticking their fingers down their throat.

All the rest can be replaced for urination in first sentence. Some people have strange ideas and fetishes.

This isnt new, actually. Most self defense courses geared towards resisting sexual assault include this strategy.

The key is to have a plan. I was told a story of a woman who dropped on all fours, started eating grass and mooing like a cow when she was grabbed while running around a lake in Minneapolis. Needless to say, the perp was deterred.

:)

What if the attacker sees the urination as a signal the woman is excited? Of if the attacker has a urination fetish (golden showers)?

Vomiting may help, but I haven't met anyone that can vomit at will, meaning without sticking their fingers down their throat.

All the rest can be replaced for urination in first sentence. Some people have strange ideas and fetishes.

Tell the perp you have aids, HIV positive, STD's if you prefer not to soil yourself.

I was told this as well, in high school. The idea is to make yourself as utterly unappealing as possible; however, rape is also about control...so to prove yourself uncontrollable, act ready for the asylum. I see nothing wrong with teaching girls and women to use whatever tactic they need to try and prevent a sexual assault...

I do worry, however, about the urination...how difficult it is to pee when one is scared or nervous, or not having a full bladder.

And this presupposes that you are aware you will be attacked. If it's a blitz attack, a lot of screaming, fighting, yelling, biting, and whatever else you need to do to survive...and NEVER go to a second location. EVER. I'd prefer to be killed where I am than get into a vehicle and go somewhere else...because wherever I am, is more likely to have witnesses then somewhere else.

Best-
Herding Cats

I just don't see why the women were upset. It makes perfect sense. It may help in some circumstances to try these things..

You do whatever you need to to fend off and survive.

It's a very sound method of deterring a rapist. He wants to swoop in, do his thing, and leave. Peeing all over him, puking on him, even defecating on him makes it harder for him to walk away undetected and act normal.

Another tactic, since it is about control and not sex, is to comply. Pretend you're all into him. Whisper about finding a better place where no one will see. Ask him to hurry up, you can't wait. Most times he'll freak out and leave. On the off chance he doesn't, when he's distracted, you go for the jewels. Problem is, it's hard for a jury to believe the compliance was just a life-saving measure and not you really wanting to get it on with a guy you don't know in the middle of an alley or behind a bush.

But for any kind of attack, if you do opposite of what's expected, you'll have the upper hand. So if someone attacks you, he'll expect you to try to get away and escape. So rush him instead. Put him on the defensive. If yo don't know how to fight, no worries. Just go apeshit crazy, hit, bite, scratch, headbutt, kick, become a whirlwind of things coming at him.

Or better yet, go learn how to fight. Arm yourself with yourself. Empower your children and make it a family thing.

Most importantly, have a plan. The best Oprah I ever saw was when she did the nitty gritty numbers on assault and attack. Never ever get in to a vehicle, and also that you have a better than 80% chance of being only wounded if you run from a gun, as long as you run in a non linear fashion.

The stats of survival if you get into a vehicle are very small. So run even if the person has a weapon.

Puking on a violent rapist could get a person killed or they could let the woman puke then go ahead with their plan. The btk killer let a victim be sick then killed her iirc. I notice they don't mention praying out loud. I've read that has also stopped some rapists and talking to them has kept some women from being killed by known serial killer rapists. I always told my daughters and myself to die of shooting or knifing before getting into a vehicle, that there is a better chance of survival, but many of them just knock the woman out cold first thing.

I heard of this tips over the years too. They don't bother me one bit.

I can only hazard a guess at why they were found offensive but maybe:

1. It could be seen as putting the responsibility of *not* being raped onto the woman. If she *doesn't* do these things maybe she will be seen as not fighting hard enough?

2. The suggestion to say your on your mentrual cycle suggests that this is about a sex act rather than a violent crime?

Heck you got me!

Most importantly, have a plan.

That really IS the most important thing because when the adrenaline hits during a sudden attack you CAN'T THINK or RATIONALIZE, your brain is operating at about 20% of its normal intellectual decision making abilities.

If you decide well in advance how you will react you can typically do that in some crude fashion at least as long as it doesn't involve a lot of rational thinking and judgement calls.

I have never heard of that tip. But thinking about it it makes a lot of sense!

I'm pretty sure most rapists do it for power, not sex, so even if they have a urination fetish, they would probably be fairly put-off by someone peeing themselves.

In theory its a good tip for deterrent however when you are fighting a rapist your whole body clenches to prevent the sexual assault which is the opposite of what is needed to urinate or defecate.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was not offended but I also have other ways of keeping myself safe and it has worked thus far.

Without going into too much detail, when I was young I became very very street savy quickly. I am a huge proponent of women taking charge of their own life which includes protecting themselves.

The most important thing is for women to be preapred for the worst and be SMART and not place yourself in a bad situation. Dont go out drinking alone. Dont go out walking at night alone. Dont talk to strangers. Dont take drinks from strangers in a bar. Try and not be alone in unpopulated areas. Do the very things we all would tell kids! Know your surroundings and look for exit points and safe places. Dont go walking around in the dark all alone. I see this often, esp. on college campuses.

Next is to be trained in self defense - some form of martial arts - and carry a weapon! I carry a firearm; however, those not comfortable with that can carry pepper spray, knife, keys, etc....FIGHT and fight like hell! Do not give in, fight!

When out alone walk with confidence and aware of your surroundings! I see many women walking around looking down at the ground completely unaware of what is going on around them or clutching their handbag tightly for example which shows weakness and fear.

I am not a big drinker, but I never ever in all my adult years would take a drink from a stranger. I always ordered my own and never let it out of my site. I also never get drunk. Never. I want absolute control of myself. And im just not trusting enough of anyone to lose control of myself. I am always armed, trained to use a firearm and have had self defense training since I was a teen.

We, as women, are our first line of defense and if we are not trained in defending ourselves, who else is going to do it?

Predators want a wimpy woman they can control and get it over with quickly. They do not want to deal with a fiesty woman who is going to pull a weapon or put up a fight!!

These are just my opinions based on experience and ones that have been taught to me.

Or what if you really tick him off by urinating on him, and he kills you?

I was not offended but I also have other ways of keeping myself safe and it has worked thus far.

Without going into too much detail, when I was young I became very very street savy quickly. I am a huge proponent of women taking charge of their own life which includes protecting themselves.

The most important thing is for women to be preapred for the worst and be SMART and not place yourself in a bad situation. Dont go out drinking alone. Dont go out walking at night alone. Dont talk to strangers. Dont take drinks from strangers in a bar. Try and not be alone in unpopulated areas. Do the very things we all would tell kids! Know your surroundings and look for exit points and safe places. Dont go walking around in the dark all alone. I see this often, esp. on college campuses.

Next is to be trained in self defense - some form of martial arts - and carry a weapon! I carry a firearm; however, those not comfortable with that can carry pepper spray, knife, keys, etc....FIGHT and fight like hell! Do not give in, fight!

When out alone walk with confidence and aware of your surroundings! I see many women walking around looking down at the ground completely unaware of what is going on around them or clutching their handbag tightly for example which shows weakness and fear.

I am not a big drinker, but I never ever in all my adult years would take a drink from a stranger. I always ordered my own and never let it out of my site. I also never get drunk. Never. I want absolute control of myself. And im just not trusting enough of anyone to lose control of myself. I am always armed, trained to use a firearm and have had self defense training since I was a teen.

We, as women, are our first line of defense and if we are not trained in defending ourselves, who else is going to do it?

Predators want a wimpy woman they can control and get it over with quickly. They do not want to deal with a fiesty woman who is going to pull a weapon or put up a fight!!

These are just my opinions based on experience and ones that have been taught to me.

All excellent and sound advise, especially in stranger or acquaintance attacks but I'd like to add something though.

Never let your guard down even with trusted male friends. Even if you know the men you are around, if you are the only female in the room do not drink at all. When I was in the Army I made this mistake. I was a trained solider but I couldn't fend off 3 male soldiers who I thought I knew. I won't elaborate just speaking from experience. No matter what a woman does or doesn't do it is never her fault. NEVER

It's taken me 16 years to finally accept that it was not my fault. I had no reason to ever believe it would happen to me and apparently no one else did either because they got away with it. Now 16 years later I am fighting the VA for disability for my related PTSD. Having to tell and relive the experience through flashbacks has made the last 6 months of my life extremely hard. I don't wish this misery on anyone and per my post above I was speaking from personal knowledge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm not a woman, but as I understand it, almost any method of fending off an attacker carries some risk. That's why they tell girls and women to trust their instincts and tell the rest of us not to judge victims for how they respond.

If he's kills you he was most likely going to anyway.

You do what you think will help you survive and get away. Only you can make those decisions in the first place. Using good safety practices to begin with will help too.

The truth is stranger rape is much rarer than date rape or rape by an acquaintance so you may have insight knowing them what might work.

Umm, if someone is looking for a sure fire way to prevent all assaults by all predators, I am not sure you will find it.

I guess, to return to the OP, it is a reasonable strategy that isnt new and I am not sure why the folks were offended by it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unimog
Back