Winter Storms Q, Rocky and other 2013 winter storms; How Much Snow/Ice Will You Get

Show Me

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm due to get 6 to 12 inches of snow. We do need the moisture, still in a drought, just wish it would come gradually. Not getting as bad a storm as the East Coast has gotten, though parts of Kansas may get 2 foot of snow.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/winter-storm-q-california-plains-midwest-20130218

Winter Storm Q is turning its emphasis on the Rockies, Plains and Midwest over the next couple of days.
Background
West Coast Satellite
West Coast Satellite

As the upper-level dip in the jet stream, or trough, swings into the Four Corners of the Rockies Wednesday, snow will taper off in the mountains of California.

Snow will also intensify and spread east in the Plains and Midwest Wednesday into Thursday. By that point, conditions will become favorable for a zone of freezing rain and sleet from Oklahoma and Kansas to the Ohio Valley and parts of the East.

We begin with the impacts for the Western states on the next page.

Snowpocalypse uncertainty reigns here in NE OK. Three to six inches of (mix or match) rain, snow, and "ice pellets" ("the natives call it sleet") at some point. Enough to pack Walmart aisles with panic shoppers (hi!) before eight this morning.

Snowpocalypse uncertainty reigns here in NE OK. Three to six inches of (mix or match) rain, snow, and "ice pellets" ("the natives call it sleet") at some point. Enough to pack Walmart aisles with panic shoppers (hi!) before eight this morning.

Going shopping in a few hours and pick up supplies.

Bring it on! It's snowing an inch an hour here--I'm north of Wichita a bit. Supposed to get 10" by Thurs. evening. I wish we'd get 2 feet!

Bring it on! It's snowing an inch an hour here--I'm north of Wichita a bit. Supposed to get 10" by Thurs. evening. I wish we'd get 2 feet!
My friend in Wichita just emailed me a picture of his front yard as of about 10am. Very pretty. You guys can keep it though!

Also, as this is designated Winter Storm Q, it's fitting that that friend should get lots of snow as his surname starts with a Q. Shall email him back and bestow this honor on him.

My friend in Wichita just emailed me a picture of his front yard as of about 10am. Very pretty. You guys can keep it though!

Also, as this is designated Winter Storm Q, it's fitting that that friend should get lots of snow as his surname starts with a Q. Shall email him back and bestow this honor on him.

Yep....email him back. :floorlaugh:

I feel for you guys! We are supposed to have sleet and freezing rain Friday here in central Virginia. I am over this and ready for Spring and warmer weather!

I feel for you guys! We are supposed to have sleet and freezing rain Friday here in central Virginia. I am over this and ready for Spring and warmer weather!

I'll take a foot of snow over 2" of sleet or freezing rain. I too am sooooo over winter. Ready for spring.

Hubby brought firewood in and we have ice melt, shovels and small snow blower. Stocked up at the store with food, milk, water and beer. Gassed up the car. Since I am well prepared we probably will get nothing.

Well, it's snowed about an eighth of an inch, the most miserable, wet, pissiest snowfall one could ever see. Now it looks like "ice pellets," lots and lots of them, are in store. Recalls our "ice pellet" blizzard - basically, 14" of stuff not resembling any snow I've ever seen, or sleet, for that matter - of a couple Christmas Eves ago.

And this should arrive overnight, just in time for my trip to Walmart to pick up prescriptions tomorrow. "Oh joy." (P.S. being a native Kansan I love the weather as i) there isn't that much else to talk about up home, and ii) levels of complaining about weather extremes, etc., can thus reach record heights.)

Well, it's snowed about an eighth of an inch, the most miserable, wet, pissiest snowfall one could ever see. Now it looks like "ice pellets," lots and lots of them, are in store. Recalls our "ice pellet" blizzard - basically, 14" of stuff not resembling any snow I've ever seen, or sleet, for that matter - of a couple Christmas Eves ago.

And this should arrive overnight, just in time for my trip to Walmart to pick up prescriptions tomorrow. "Oh joy." (P.S. being a native Kansan I love the weather as i) there isn't that much else to talk about up home, and ii) levels of complaining about weather extremes, etc., can thus reach record heights.)

We've had the 'ice pellet pissy snowfall' too. Reminds me of styrofoam bits only fuzzier. Not really snow, nor sleet, nor ice.

Do you need to go to Walmart tomorrow? Can you put it off a few days? If you are in Kansas you will get a foot and a half to two foot of snow.

It's snowing above us but the air is so dry it's sapping the snow before it falls to the ground. Once our air gets saturated we will see the snow. Looks like we will be shoveling part of the backyard for the dogs with this storm.

We've had the 'ice pellet pissy snowfall' too. Reminds me of styrofoam bits only fuzzier. Not really snow, nor sleet, nor ice.

Do you need to go to Walmart tomorrow? Can you put it off a few days? If you are in Kansas you will get a foot and a half to two foot of snow.

It's snowing above us but the air is so dry it's sapping the snow before it falls to the ground. Once our air gets saturated we will see the snow. Looks like we will be shoveling part of the backyard for the dogs with this storm.
I can always put off a Walmart jaunt; besides, going twice in two days might sap my social reserves, lol.

Will never forget the time that my Boston terrier Boodles first saw snow, bounding in the drifts like a black and white bunny; the first time my cat Osbert saw it, he gave me a fierce look as if I'd betrayed him.

This might be a stupid question...but are you supposed to stock up if you live right across the street from the grocery store? It's a 30-second walk for me. Or is that for people who wouldn't be able to drive if there was a storm/state of emergency? We are getting 6-8 inches.

And I just saw this storm is called Winter Storm Q. Q. They couldn't even think of an actual name? Just a letter....

I'm hoping we get enough snow that classes are canceled.

We are right on the edge of sleet/ice and 3-6 of snow. I'm really really hoping for just the snow and no ice. I'm still having nightmares from the icing of 06 when I woke up to it being 40 degrees in my house. BRRRRR

Stay safe everyone!

5-8 inches last I checked, could be off. Haven't checked in awhile, and it just started snowing not to long ago.

This might be a stupid question...but are you supposed to stock up if you live right across the street from the grocery store? It's a 30-second walk for me. Or is that for people who wouldn't be able to drive if there was a storm/state of emergency? We are getting 6-8 inches.

And I just saw this storm is called Winter Storm Q. Q. They couldn't even think of an actual name? Just a letter....

I'm hoping we get enough snow that classes are canceled.

It's not a stupid question. If you are going to get a LOT of snow the staff may not be able to go to work, or management might figure it'd be cheaper to close than waste electricity, or the power may go out. We've had stores close down in really bad snowstorms, though it's a rare event.

Awesome you live so close to a store...can easily jaunt across the street when you are cooking and forgot something.

Q reminds me of a James Bond movie.

Hope everyone is safe...check in when you can. We are going to get some of this storm, merging with ANOTHER Atlantic ocean storm on Sat./Sun. to create a new storm. Gaaaa, we still haven't got rid of the blizzard snow! My street is STILL only one lane...

We are also a Q surname, so my husband is being a geek about this storm. :rolleyes:

I'm in no mood for this. As PML said, the remnants of Q are going to merge with something out to sea and dump more snow over the weekend. We've had a good deal of melting after the blizzard, but what remains is sort of like an 8 inch block of frozen, packed snow and ice.

And it's COLD. I don't know what the temp is, but I just went out to put my recycling at the curb and it's painfully bitter and windy. I guess the one good thing is, if snow comes that means it will have to warm up a bit, right? :what:

Hope you all are faring well out west. Hope you get something prettier than pissy ice pellets :lol:

Snowing here, real pretty flakeage without the pissy ice pellets.

Lot of accidents already and traffic very slow. Q has just started for us. I'm glad we didn't get the freezing rain first for a change.

Good day to roast a turkey breast with stuffing. Will have hubby light the fireplace in a bit.

Can't believe the East Coast is going to get another snow storm. Ought to be a weather rule like you can't get more snow until the other snow has melted.

Well, that was unique. Dead grass now encased in ice and looking like acres of frozen, tightly packed, slightly off-color corn niblets after "thunder sleet" somewhere around five this morning. Still thundering. A half hour of pissy snow, thirty minutes of sleet, an hour of occasionally heavy rain - YOUR Winter Storm Q in northeast Oklahoma so far, wf_godot!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back