Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimster

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ufo2001.com
Taken from the last thread

I have a really hard time feeling sympathy for this guy, though. He should've thought of all that before opening fire on a person locked in his bathroom. Even if it was an intruder that hardly justifies four bullets into a tiny bathroom. Why not call the police, or fire a warning shot at most? Self-defense isn't brutally gunning down an intruder hiding behind a closed door.

My issue isn't that he fired four shots, it's that he never even positively identified that there was an intruder in there to begin with. I've mentioned before there are a ton of gun owners, especially in the US that are no holds barred when it comes to intruders, if they see someone in their house who is not supposed to in the middle of the night, they are going to shoot first and ask questions later, not wait to call 911. He never identified there was someone that wasn't supposed to be there. An open window is not proof that someone else is in your house, especially since he wasn't alone and the possibility exists that she could of opened the window.

Absolutely outrageous letting him out on bail. :mad::mad::mad:

Looks around, runs finger over furniture... sees a certain amount of dust.

So these are our new quarters, eh?

Well, a lick of paint wouldn't come amiss, but I expect we can get quite comfy over time. Thank you. It's going to be a long wait anyhow...

- unless of course Oscar either tops himself or kills someone else.

OP will never be convicted of the premeditated murder of RS because the evidence simply isn't there. There is only circumstantial evidence to go on, that of which is so weak that it leaves room for considerable doubt. The strongest argument anyone has is, "No one would have done this or that. He would have done A or B, not C", and blah, blah, blah. He would walk in a jury trial here in the US because there is nothing but reasonable doubt in this case, and the magistrate in SA will allow him to walk because there simply isn't significant evidence to establish intent, motive, nothing.

There is a long way to go yet. There are forensics and ballistic evidence yet to be evaluated. This may have sounded like a trial, but the trial is yet to come, and it won't be a jury trial.

I gleaned from what Nair said that he probably thinks it is premeditated murder but the State has to prove it as they do not have enough evidence yet.

That was my impression also.

The state is going to have to come up with some evidence that makes just one facet of his story false. That's all they need and the whole thing will fall apart.

Yep.

Taken from the last thread

My issue isn't that he fired four shots, it's that he never even positively identified that there was an intruder in there to begin with. I've mentioned before there are a ton of gun owners, especially in the US that are no holds barred when it comes to intruders, if they see someone in their house who is not supposed to in the middle of the night, they are going to shoot first and ask questions later, not wait to call 911. He never identified there was someone that wasn't supposed to be there. An open window is not proof that someone else is in your house, especially since he wasn't alone and the possibility exists that she could of opened the window.

I agree with that, too. I recall the prosecution said that he had to pass the bed 3 times? And yet we are expected to believe that he didn't notice OR check to see if Reeva was there. But if there is even a tiny chance that your loved one is behind a door, and you're holding a gun, you don't shoot. Not if you don't want to risk hurting that person.

Looks around, runs finger over furniture... sees a certain amount of dust.

So these are our new quarters, eh?

Well, a lick of paint wouldn't come amiss, but I expect we can get quite comfy over time. Thank you. It's going to be a long wait anyhow...

- unless of course Oscar either tops himself or kills someone else.

I hope he stays out of trouble. I expect we will hear all sorts of reports at first, but since we now know that the reports are not trustworthy, how will we know? Oh, I guess if he gets arrested for anything we will know.

I hope family keeps him on a short leash so nothing else can happen. He is not to be drinking or using drugs, so friends may not call to invite him out for dinner and dancing, and possible hounding by press and public.

Just worried about that short fuse.

I don't believe for one minute that a guy with prosthetic legs doesn't immediately put them on when noises make him suspicious. The 'cartoon' style images we've seen of the bedroom seem to put his legs at the bottom of the bed rather than the side for easy access to them eg. in case of a normal emergency like a fire.

I listened to part of Nair's address. The contradictions between OP's statement and witness accounts are appalling. I will be sure to transcribe and listen to the entire thing this weekend.

OJ all the way. Shame on Nair.

How many murderers are allowed out on bail, anyway?

Apparently SA has a different outlook toward the law. Allowing someone to run around after attempted murder, and continue to"uphold" the law, then put such a person on the witness stand in such a high profile case. Pffft

Now they have allowed OP out, in complete disregard for the beautiful life he took.

What did OP say at a previous crime scene? "Do it because I am Oscar Pistorius".

Obviously corrupt, IMO, and disgusting

Jacaranda Newsteam @Jacanews

PIC: Adv Barry Roux says from now to the 4th of June it is all preparation. #OscarPistorius @jacanews ML http://twitpic.com/c5wnfp

3:05 PM - 22 Feb 13

Oscar Pistorius case: South Africa is a country at war with its women

Whatever Pistorius's guilt, Reeva Steenkamp is another victim of a culture of gender-based violence, guns and white paranoia

guardian.co.uk, Friday 22 February 2013 14.28 GMT

Oscar Pistorius has been charged with the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

It is much too risky to speculate about what exactly happened when model Reeva Steenkamp was shot dead in the home of Oscar Pistorius. But the South African sports legend has been charged with murder, and has just been granted bail. In a troubling twist, the lead investigator, Hilton Botha, faces seven attempted murder charges after allegedly firing at a taxi. This raises the question: does South Africa need to interrogate masculinity and gun culture?

As reports flooded South Africa's news sites over the last week, it seemed as if editors' sympathies lay more with Pistorius than Steenkamp as theories about an "accidental shooting" were quickly offered well before the facts were ascertained. In fact, the Commission for Gender Equality claimed that the many reports on the death of Reeva Steenkamp shifted attention from gender-based violence to Oscar Pistorius.

Regardless of the circumstances of the shooting, the fact is that yet another woman met a violent end in South Africa – a country at war with its female population. Earlier this month, Bredasdorp teenager Anene Booysen was gang-raped, murdered and mutilated – a case so appalling in its brutality that it made headlines across the globe. And as extreme as this case was, such violence is not isolated.

In 1999, 14-year-old Valencia Farmer was gang-raped and murdered. At the time, we saw a great deal of media outrage at the incident – not unlike the response to the Booysen murder. But, between these two horrific events, we have seen many other instances of gender-based violence that expose the hollow nature of the righteous indignation expressed by public officials, political parties and journalists alike.

According to a 2011 survey by Statistics South Africa, 38.4% of sexual offences were committed by community members known to their victims. Furthermore, 37.2% of victims were murdered by known community members, followed by a spouse/lover (18.2%), and friends/acquaintances (12.1%). According to allAfrica.com, police statistics reveal that in South Africa seven women were murdered each day in 2011, and that one woman gets raped every 17 seconds.

What does this have to do with Steenkamp's death, you may ask, especially when the true facts are not yet known? The answer lies in how stereotypical views of masculinity get rewarded in South Africa. While the country's gun culture is by no means comparable to that of the US, paranoia about violent crime in a post-apartheid era has extended the laager mentality that emerged during the rule of the National party. (The term refers to the defensive circle created by the wagons of colonial-era settlers, effectively creating a mobile fort against attacks by indigenous Africans. Settlers would hide inside these wagon forts with their guns on the ready in the event of an attack.)

Under apartheid, white paranoia about being murdered by vengeful "natives" helped the National party to consolidate its political power, as well as to justify the conscription of white males to defend South Africa's borders against "communists" – shorthand for the African National Congress's military wing. Many white South African males were compulsorily drafted, and a large number of young soldiers fought in border wars with Angola and Mozambique. In addition, the patriarchal nature of apartheid ideology created hierarchies based on gender as well as race.

Black citizens on the other hand experienced the structural violence of apartheid policies, and faced brutal repression in their struggle for civil rights. The landmark murders in Sharpeville and Soweto were the tip of the iceberg – the disappearance of activists and the torture of detainees became a feature of everyday life.

This experience of violence went beyond racial oppression, though. As feminist scholar Shireen Hassim's research on Jacob Zuma's rape trial suggests, the struggle for gender equality took a back seat to the fight against apartheid and, for this reason, women's rights remain fairly low on the national agenda in democratic South Africa. (Zuma was cleared of rape in 2006.)

Today, brutal police action in Marikana, Ficksburg and Hangberg resonates with apartheid-era state violence. More importantly, the evidence of the laager mentality's continuing siege can be seen in the emergence of gated communities and rightwing organisations' claims of a genocidal plot against white farmers. This is notwithstanding the black South Africans' experience of violent crime in the township, where the "corrective rape" of lesbians gives new meaning to the cynical term "paper rights" – constitutional rights that mean nothing in practice.

It has been reported that Pistorius was a keen marksman who did not hesitate to use his gun the moment his house alarm tripped – a characteristic indicative of the kind of paranoia that pervades middle-class South Africa. Pistorius lives on a golf estate, which exemplifies all the elements of "semigration" to gated communities and the laager mentality after apartheid. According to a 2007 report by the Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation 53% of homicides were linked to gun violence.

Whether or not the shooting was accidental, it certainly adds to a troubling set of statistics.

(Seething quietly here.)
Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan
#OscarPistorius bail payment debacle has been resolved. He's on his way to a family member's house. @eNCAnews

Geoffrey York @geoffreyyork

ANC women's league: "What is distressing is the reaction of some men in court who jumped up and celebrated ... as if they had won a trophy"

Pistorius has reportedly left the magistrates court in a truck. He is being chased by reporters on motorcycles.

Nair is trending on twitter in South Africa!

South Africa Trends

#Nair
#SinceNairsReadingStarted
#JSC
#WCSOPA2013
Caster Semenya
#bail
"YES"
Loftus
CNN
Stormers

I listened to part of Nair's address. The contradictions between OP's statement and witness accounts are appalling. I will be sure to transcribe and listen to the entire thing this weekend.

OJ all the way. Shame on Nair.

How many murderers are allowed out on bail, anyway?

Apparently SA has a different outlook toward the law. Allowing someone to run around after attempted murder, and continue to"uphold" the law, then put such a person on the witness stand in such a high profile case. Pffft

Now they have allowed OP out, in complete disregard for the beautiful life he took.

What did OP say at a previous crime scene? "Do it because I am Oscar Pistorius".

Obviously corrupt, IMO, and disgusting

BBM

It happens a whole lot more in the US than you think. I don't think it's because SA has a different outlook on the law.

Roux says he might challenge some of the bail conditions, including the one that bars Pistorius from drinking alcohol.

"He will be freed today. I think it is fair that he is granted bail," Roux says.

Roux says he might challenge some of the bail conditions, including the one that bars Pistorius from drinking alcohol.

"He will be freed today. I think it is fair that he is granted bail," Roux says.

:furious:

It's so nice to see where Oscar's priorities lie.

:furious:

It's so nice to see where Oscar's priorities lie.

Precisely.

The pictures that are coming of him focusing on his running and training are going to make me nauseous.

The whole thing is completely disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail