Cardinal: Married Catholic priests a possibility

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?id=19334881&ps=921&srce=morenews_class&action=1&lang=en

LONDON (AP) — Roman Catholic priests should be allowed to marry and have children, Britain's most senior Catholic cleric said Friday.

Cardinal Keith O'Brien, who heads the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland, said the requirement for priestly celibacy is "not of divine origin" and could be reconsidered.

He told BBC Scotland that "the celibacy of the clergy, whether priests should marry — Jesus didn't say that."

He said that "many priests have found it very difficult to cope with celibacy," and while he had never considered marriage himself, "I would be very happy if others had the opportunity of considering whether or not they could or should get married."..............

More at link....

Yes, celibacy has always been a discipline, and not a dogmas, and therefore could be changed. Married priesthood is also the older tradition, and one that e Orthodox churches still follow (though I believe for the Orthodox, the rule is that a married man may become a priest, but a man already a priest may not marry, and that bishops are always celibate).

I would be happy with the church following the Orthodox custom, and would be one less (albeit small, admittedly) separation between the churches.

After all these years of pain, misery, and deceit, the "church" may change it's mind. Big whoop. They never had the right in the first place.

o/t just a noodge, but I've been to a Roman Catholic mass led by a married-with-children Catholic priest on several occasions. The man had formerly been an Episcopal priest and when he repatriated to Rome, as it were, was allowed to celebrate the sacraments, etc. etc. Father I-forget-his-last-name. Excellent masses.

Yup. There are also married priests who are former Lutheran ministers. And the eastern rite Catholics have always been allowed by Rome to keep the married priesthood with the same norms as the orthodox. So, there ARE married priests. They just need to allow priests of the western rite the same thing they've allowed for eastern rite and converted priests. :waiting:

Now though, i think amongst conservatives that any relaxing of the rule would be seen as a "victory" for liberals, and so must be avoided at all costs. That's why it's so rare for any of the hierarchy to even mention it anymore. When I used to frequent Catholic discussion sites on the newsgroups, and later blogs/forums, there were plenty of conservatives who said things like "well, I'll know the gates of hell have prevailed against the church/the church has fallen into apostasy/end times are near if we ever lose the celibate priesthood!". :eek:hoh:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back