SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
fullscreen_capture_5162012_92912_am.jpg

Stevie Bates

Endangered Missing from Manhattan, New York since April 27, 2012

Age: 19 -- Height: 5'6" -- Weight: 115 lbs -- Hair Color: Black -- Eye Color: Brown

Stevie may have blonde dreadlocks in her hair. Her nose and naval are pierced.

Stevie was last known to be part of the Occupy Wall Street protest. She was last heard from when she stopped at a layover in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on April 27, 2012 on her way home to New York. She was last seen getting on the bus home, but she never made it home.

NCMEC

Find Stevie Bates

NamUs - https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14876/1/

On April 26, 2012 Stevie was returning from a cross county trip, traveling alone by Greyhound bus to NYC from Hot Springs AK. I spoke with her last at 7:52 pm on 4/27/12 while she was at a layover bus stop in PA. I was able to view surveillance cameras at NY Port Authority which showed her coming up the escalator from the greyhound bus at 8:51am on 4/28/2012.

When I last spoke with her on 4/27 she told me that when she arrived in NYC she would stop in Brooklyn to meet a friend and then she would come home. I have not heard from her or seen her since. None of her friends have seen her. She's had no activity on face book since April 26, 2012. The friend she was to meet up with hasn't seen her since before she left NY April 19, 2012 to begin her travels. She has not had activity on her card since April 26, 2012. Stevie never goes without calling me. She has a very distinct look of shoulder length hair that is dyed blonde and in dread locks.

Again, Stevie was last known to have spoken with her mother on April 27th at 7:52 pm ET while in Pittsburgh on a Greyhound bus layover stop – Stevie was expected to board the bus again as it headed for Port Authority in New York to arrive at 5:40 am that morning. It is not known whether or not she made it there. The bus schedule indicates that there were two other scheduled stops along the bus route that Stevie might have traveled – one in Slippery Rock, PA at 10:50 pm for 15 mins, and a stop in Philadelphia at 3:20 am for 20 mins. If you are in those areas, it would also be helpful to spread the word about Stevie Bates.

http://citizenjournalistdotorg.word...d-girl-traveling-with-ows-group-goes-missing/

The entire Find Our Missing episode featuring Stevie Bate's story can be found here:

http://www.tvone.tv/shows/find_our_missing/video/full-episode-stevie-bates-and-kahil-gray-.html

This video says she was seen on video from Port Authority in NYC so definitely made it back to the city. The friend she told her mother she was going to visit in Brooklyn was her ex-boyfriend. He's been questioned by police and said he had no contact with her since she left on the bus trip.

This is Stevie's FB: http://www.facebook.com/stevie.bates

p.s. there is a photo of Stevie that was posted September 2012 but in the comments it reveals that her mom put it up. She is still missing.

Here's another "missing" page for her on FB. Not much action here either though somebody was matching her phone calls home on her trip to concert dates. I wonder if the people she was with ever gave any statements to the police about her mood/plans at the time she headed back for NYC. It's possible that though she was staying in close contact with her mother she wasn't telling her everything.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/251304788310449/

I believe the building where the suitcase was found is pretty close to where she was living with her sister at the time she disappeared. Per findsteviebates.com, her mother filed a missing person report with the 77th precinct in Brooklyn, because that's where she was living at the time of her disappearance. I don't know exactly where she was living, but a google map shows the 77th precinct headquarters is only 1.5 miles from 174 Hull St, so I'm guessing it was pretty close: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=77th...h+precinct+in+Brooklyn+to+174+&gl=us&t=m&z=15 .

It seems like the delay in knowing that Stevie made it to NYC really changed the focus of/derailed the investigation early on. Between all the bureaucratic wrangling about where a MP report could be filed and the over-focus on the road trip (in my opinion; given that it is now known that she got back to NYC safely, alone and at basically the time she told her mother she would, it seems unlikely this has anything to do with her disappearance), resources weren't poured into investigating/looking at the correct area until way too long after the fact.

Watching the Find Our Missing video and reading the comments on various websites/blogs, it seems like most of those close to Stevie believe the BF (BK) knows more than he's telling. This seems to be the most likely explanation to me as well. If Stevie kept in touch with her mother during the whole road trip / told her truthfully exactly when she was getting back / etc, there's really no reason to think that she randomly made up the story about going to pick up her stuff from BK's... That would, after all, be a natural thing to do post-returning to NYC and not something her mom would want her to do for any particular reason (i.e., there's no reason she would make up the story to make her mom feel better).

(It strikes me as particularly plausible that Stevie would head to BK's to pick up her stuff upon return if Stevie and BK broke up a little closer to her road trip than the FOM video would lead you to believe (no exact date is given)... There is some support for this theory in a back-and-forth on BK's FB, where he indicates he is sad that he is single -- and Stevie replies -- only a week or so before she goes missing.)

Given that BK told Stevie's mother that he never saw her at all, you have to think: (1) she lied to her mom/changed her mind about where she was going (obviously, possible... but why?); (2) BK had something to do with her disappearance; or (3) something happened to her between PA and BK's... at 9 am in busy areas of Manhattan/Brooklyn and no one saw anything (seems unlikely, in my mind). Option 2 seems by far the most likely to my mind.

Now that the skeleton has turned up, I'm curious if the fire at the house happened at around the time/just after the police finally interviewed BK. Possibly he had her body in his apartment and ditched it when he was worried police might get a warrant. I'm also curious about substance abuse. Many of the changes to Stevie's personality that are described seem potentially consistent with substance abuse... There was also a lot of substance abuse around the OWS crowd. (BK also appears to have lost a lot of weight in that time period based on online photos available on social networking sites in a way that seems consistent with substance abuse.) If Stevie was using, that could be another way that she could have died that BK possibly would have covered up.

SB's mother filed a missing pers. report with Yonkers Police May 9, 2012
The fire, where skeleton was found at 174 Hull St., occurred May 9, 2012.

SO, same day! hmmm...

In a video about Stevie Bates's case the police officer at Yonkers Police in charge of SB's case said that they interviewed SB's x-boyfriend BK when the missing person report was filed, but if it was the same day (May 9th) I don´t know. The police officer said thatafter interviewing BK, the x-boyfriend, they had no reason to belive the he was involved in SB's disappearence.
(police have been wrong before so who knows)

Here is a link to the video about the case:

http://findourmissing.com/2013/episode-201-stevie-bates-and-kahil-gray/

http://youtu.be/Uz3iQRTPYjM
Published by City of Yonkers Police.
Published on Oct 17, 2012

Video from NYC Port Authority Bus Terminal on 04/28/12. Please see 1:19 into the video and a female who comes off of the up escalator and attempts to go up one more flight before circling and walking to the camera. She is holding a bottle of water. If you have seen this missing person please call the Yonkers Police Department Youth Division at 914-377-7299 or 914-377-7900.

Interesting comments, too.

She looks alone to me. Which person do you think is with her? I'm pretty sure her family has viewed this video and they haven't identified anybody with her.

The only person I saw at 1:19 in the video that is holding a water bottle comes up the escalator with a man, does a small circle looking where to go and he points toward the direction of the camera and they walk off that way together....am I looking at the wrong person? (Entirely possible!)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back