CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
February 20, 2013 8:48 AM

(CBS/AP) LOS ANGELES - A woman's body found wedged in a water tank on the roof of a downtown Los Angeles hotel was identified as that of a missing Canadian tourist, police said Tuesday.

Lam traveled to California alone on Jan. 27 from Vancouver, British Columbia. She was last seen by hotel employees on Jan. 31.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...rist-found-in-la-hotel-water-tank-police-say/

8983461_448x252.jpg

Friday, February 22, 2013

DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- It could take several more weeks before we learn how a Canadian tourist, found dead in a hotel water tank, died.
A toxicology report and other tests on Elisa Lam's brain and other organs have been ordered.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=9002570

By Alan Duke, CNN
updated 7:07 AM EST, Fri February 22, 2013

The decomposing body of Elisa Lam floated inside a water tank on the roof of the Cecil Hotel while guests brushed their teeth, bathed and drank with water from it for as long as 19 days.

A maintenance worker, checking on complaints about the hotel's water, found the 21-year-old Canadian tourist inside one of four water cisterns Tuesday morning, Los Angeles Police Sgt. Rudy Lopez said.

An autopsy was completed, but the cause of death is deferred pending further examination, assistant chief coroner Ed Winter said Thursday. That may take six to eight weeks.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/21/us/california-hotel-water-corpse/index.html

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198048"]Thread #1[/ame]

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199663"]Thread #2[/ame]

A few observations from a local:

• I have spoken to someone who saw and spoke with Elisa in the Last Bookstore on January 31. (Yes, they have contacted police.) She was being inappropriately talkative and pesky with other customers, which combined with the purchasing heavy items (books and records) while mid-way through a trip and on a budget, supports the suggestion of mania.

• I'm inclining towards the theory that the odd behavior in the elevator video shows sleepwalking, possibly drug-induced. If Elisa walked west on Fifth Street out of the doors of the Last Bookstore, one very short block would bring her to Broadway. Drug dealers blatantly sell all kinds of pills along this street and in front of the Rite-Aid drugstore at all hours of the day and night. It's not inconceivable that an occasionally insomniac and possibly manic individual might have purchased a sleeping pill on the street, and later suffered a bad reaction. (Sources: personal observation, Downtown News, Yelp)

• Some people have suggested that the supposedly dark reputation of the Cecil Hotel might have drawn Elisa to stay there. The Cecil's reputation has been much enhanced by recent news coverage, which has included false claims ("The Black Dahlia stayed there" - CNN) that make it seem ever spookier.

• Jeffrey David Kelly, producer of the YouTube on-the-scene videos (universalnetworknews) linked above, is a neighborhood fixture. He's kind of intense, but has never struck me as a source of concern. He has another YouTube channel dedicated to his alternative Catholic theological pursuits.

• Also on his universalnetworknews YouTube channel are two clips (1, 2) related to the massive Christopher Dorner manhunt that LAPD and other Southern California police agencies were engaged in in early February. The impact on the Dorner search on all other police investigations in Los Angeles cannot be overstated. Between February 6, when Dorner was named as the suspect in the February 3 Irvine murders, until February 13, when the suspect's body was found in the burned out cabin in Big Bear, this case absorbed massive police manpower. Chief Beck admitted to journalists that less important police work was being neglected while his officers focused on the manhunt. On February 14, the first "normal" day after the Dorner manhunt ends, the elevator video is released, two full weeks after Elisa disappeared.

One has to ask: Would this video have been released earlier under different circumstances? And how much time and attention was dedicated to the police search for Elisa between February 6-13? The answer may prove embarrassing to LAPD. It may also explain why so little information is being given out about the case.

The loud noise heard was the perp and Elisa accessing the roof by means of the steel ladder on the fire escape. Check the rooms and guests on the 15th floor!!

And if the room trying to access the fire escape had one of those grills/screens over the window like in some of those video, the loud crash might've been the perp struggling to break the screen off!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can reference individual posts from previous threads by providing the link to the post.

In the top right hand corner, next to the alert triangle, every post has a number. If you click on the number, it will bring you to the individual post.

From there, you can copy the URL (top address bar of your browser) and paste the link in the post you are creating.

:cheer:

Ok found the video where the reporter mentions at 1:45 in about how a scheduled interview with police was cancelled due to higher ups not wanting the case to be discussed.

http://youtu.be/BBS_4w2YLe4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Also on his universalnetworknews YouTube channel are two clips (1, 2) related to the massive Christopher Dorner manhunt that LAPD and other Southern California police agencies were engaged in in early February. The impact on the Dorner search on all other police investigations in Los Angeles cannot be overstated. Between February 6, when Dorner was named as the suspect in the February 3 Irvine murders, until February 13, when the suspect's body was found in the burned out cabin in Big Bear, this case absorbed massive police manpower. Chief Beck admitted to journalists that less important police work was being neglected while his officers focused on the manhunt. On February 14, the first "normal" day after the Dorner manhunt ends, the elevator video is released, two full weeks after Elisa disappeared.

Snipped for context, thank you. Archivist, good job on this. I don't believe anyone has mentioned this, and in fact it does play a part in this. I would bet my life on the fact that this was the number one concern of the LAPD and any surrounding forces. Cop killers transcend any case, and for good reason. It is unfortunate though for the Elisa case, as that is time that cannot be regained.

A few observations from a local:

• I have spoken to someone who saw and spoke with Elisa in the Last Bookstore on January 31. (Yes, they have contacted police.) She was being inappropriately talkative and pesky with other customers, which combined with the purchasing heavy items (books and records) while mid-way through a trip and on a budget, supports the suggestion of mania.

• I'm inclining towards the theory that the odd behavior in the elevator video shows sleepwalking, possibly drug-induced. If Elisa walked west on Fifth Street out of the doors of the Last Bookstore, one very short block would bring her to Broadway. Drug dealers blatantly sell all kinds of pills along this street and in front of the Rite-Aid drugstore at all hours of the day and night. It's not inconceivable that an occasionally insomniac and possibly manic individual might have purchased a sleeping pill on the street, and later suffered a bad reaction. (Sources: personal observation, Downtown News, Yelp)

• Some people have suggested that the supposedly dark reputation of the Cecil Hotel might have drawn Elisa to stay there. The Cecil's reputation has been much enhanced by recent news coverage, which has included false claims ("The Black Dahlia stayed there" - CNN) that make it seem ever spookier.

• Jeffrey David Kelly, producer of the YouTube on-the-scene videos (universalnetworknews) linked above, is a neighborhood fixture. He's kind of intense, but has never struck me as a source of concern. He has another YouTube channel dedicated to his alternative Catholic theological pursuits.

One has to ask: Would this video have been released earlier under different circumstances? And how much time and attention was dedicated to the police search for Elisa between February 6-13? The answer may prove embarrassing to LAPD. It may also explain why so little information is being given out about the case.

Does this mostly mean just talking loudly to people whether they wanted her to or not ? Maybe they tried to get away and she kept on talking to them as if they were friends? TKS

I was looking for other cases of people found dead in watertanks and I, so far, found two.

One murder case in Singapore 2012, female victim.
One apparent suicide in New Jersey 2010, male victim

Singapore 2012 case:

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120710-358271.html

Body in water tank case: Cleaner discharged for murdering maid

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012

A cleaner was given a discharge not amounting to an acquittal for murdering a maid whose body was found in a water tank last year.

The Straits Times reported that Bangladeshi Md Repon Mostafa, 29, was originally accused of causing the death of Indonesian maid Ms Ruliyawati, 30 at the rooftop of Block 686B Woodlands Drive 73 on May 16.

The story made headlines last year after the dead body of an Indonesian maid was discovered on May 16 inside the rooftop water tank of Block 686B, Woodlands Street 73.

The water tank in the affected block was replaced by a $40,000 tank about a month later by the Sembawang Town Council after residents petitioned.

The prosecution has tendered five new charges against him.

Mostafa allegedly willfully trespassed into the area three times on April 10 and 12, and May 16, 2011 without a valid reason.

In addition, he faces two charges under the Films Act of having eight films without a certificate and an obscene film on his mobile phone.

The case was adjourned to July 24 for the lawyer to take instructions from his client on the five new charges.

Bail of $5,000 was allowed, and Mostafa's passport has been impounded.

New Jersey 2010 case:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/09/body_found_in_spotswood_water.html

Officials identify body found in Spotswood water tank as Helmetta man
Published: Monday, September 06, 2010, 10:06

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/09/wife_of_helmetta_man_found_in.html

Wife of Helmetta man found in Spotswood water tank believes death related to unemployment
Published: Monday, September 06, 2010,

Does anyone know if the water tank lid was open or closed when police searched the watertank and then found Elisa Lam's body?

I mean if it was open then I think it's possible that it might be a suicide , but if it was cloed I really doubt that EL entered that watertank on her own will, I mean would a person really be able to jump down in that tank and at the same time close the lid?
And as I understand it the opening/lid was pretty narrow, as I read that the rescue team, with their diving equipment on, could not get down through the opening but had to make a hole to enter.

This sure is a very odd and eerie case!

I do not understand why people keep thinking there is any possibility this is suicide.

In order for it to be suicide Elisa Lam would have had to have been alive when she went into that tank. She would have died of drowning. This would have been IMMEDIATELY obvious to a medical examiner. She would have had lungs filled with water. And the autopsy would have shed some light on to this fact.

The fact the autopsy report so far has revealed nothing and that they NEED toxology results to determine cause of death, tells us she was already dead when her body entered that tank.

Two huge questions....

1. What was her state of mind, at the time of her last known sighting....
IMO, she appears to be acting strange right from the moment she walks into the elevator....why would anyone press all the buttons immediately walking into an elevator...at that point she doesn't appear alarmed or scared....
This makes me think she is hallucinating... Her odd behaviour including paranoia in the elevator may be from the hallucinations....

2. From the info that has been made available by LE and sleuthing posted by netizens.... Why and how did the body end up in the tank?

Great sleuthing everyone! Thoughts?

WHAT ? They just ruled out foul play and then denied ruling out foul play ?
So a leak ? Or a mis report?
:( Elisa, what happened to you ?

I do not understand why people keep thinking there is any possibility this is suicide.

In order for it to be suicide Elisa Lam would have had to have been alive when she went into that tank. She would have died of drowning. This would have been IMMEDIATELY obvious to a medical examiner. She would have had lungs filled with water. And the autopsy would have shed some light on to this fact.

The fact the autopsy report so far has revealed nothing and that they NEED toxology results to determine cause of death, tells us she was already dead when her body entered that tank.

With a body almost three weeks in a water tank, things are maybe not that easy. Water in the lungs indicates drowning, that is true. But after enough tissue is gone, the lungs maybe have also already some holes, so nobody can say how the water came in there, by drowning or later when the body was more "open" (to word it a little nicer). However, this is hard to determine. Caspar's Ratio says, a body immersed in water needs about double the time, but that is under otherwise unchanged conditions. Elisa was in a tank, means less insect access. It was relative cold, that should also slow down decomposition. So, bottom line, none of my tables appear to work here and an ME report is not published.

The toxicology results likely are needed to explain why she ended up in the tank and to explain her odd behaviour in the elevator.... I still think there is a probability that it was freak accident.... Time will tell...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member