1259 users online (238 members and 1021 guests)  

Websleuths News

Cat finds it's way home after being dumped in the everglades

A Fort Lauderdale firefighter is facing theft charges after he told police that he snatched a neighborhood cat and dumped it in the Everglades because it scratched his truck.

The firefighter's 11-year-old neighbor, Maggie Leonard, was celebrating her birthday Feb. 5 when she realized her pet was gone. She started crying when she learned Cristopher Cortes, who has had a months-long spat with her family, got rid of Mr. Kibbles.

Luckily for Maggie, the cat showed up at her front door Feb. 18 -- apparently on his own.

"It was like a miracle," said Maggie's mother, Nancy Leonard. "Maggie loves this cat like royalty."

Coconut Creek police charged the firefighter, Christopher Cortes, 32, and his fiancee with petty theft and gave them notices to appear in court. Fort Lauderdale Fire-Rescue says it has opened an internal investigation, but Cortes is still on duty.

No one, except for Mr. Kibbles, knows how he got home, located in the 5900 block of Northwest 47th Way in Coconut Creek. He wasn't wearing ID tags.

Dr. Deborah Niedermiller, a veterinarian who examined the cat Monday, said he was in good health, tired, and "looked like he had traveled a little bit" because of his hardened paws.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,3661064.story

I'm so glad the cat made it home. That poor kitty, having to travel like that, in danger and hungry, and just wanting to get home again....and the little girl who was missing him and probably thought he was gone for good. Nice that they're happily reunited.

I know that cats have such a reputation as being aloof and independent. But if you've owned and loved kitties, you come to realize that theylvery much bond with their owners, love affection, and that their homes and families mean a lot to them.

Quote Originally Posted by mom-a-licious
    I know that cats have such a reputation as being aloof and independent. But if you've owned and loved kitties, you come to realize that theylvery much bond with their owners, love affection, and that their homes and families mean a lot to them.
    I agree.. cats are cool and warm, friendly, loving pets.

Some people don't get it.... my brother always says to me "why do you bother to name your cats?, they don't come when you call them"

my cats meet me at the door and are happy to see us home, just like a dog and they play fetch and love to be petted and cuddled.

Both of my cats will come when I call them, but they won't do it for anyone else. I guess they know who buys their catnip!!