MD - James Reyher, 28, & Ryan Harris, 23, Navy divers found dead, 26 Feb 2013

I didn't see it in this article but I thought I heard on WAVY 10 that both divers died of cardiac arrest. Anyone else hear that?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/27/navy-probes-deaths-2-divers-at-maryland-army-site/

This article just says the deaths are still under investigation:

Officials said Wednesday that 28-year-old Navy Diver 1st Class James Reyher of Caldwell, Ohio, and Navy Diver 2nd Class Ryan Harris of Gladstone, Mo., died Tuesday at the Aberdeen Proving Ground in northeastern Maryland.

Harris and Reyher were assigned to Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit 2 at Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story in Virginia Beach, Va. ............

The sailors belonged to a unit whose salvage operations have included TWA Flight 800, Swiss Air Flight 111, the space shuttles Challenger and Columbia, and the Civil War ironclad USS Monitor.

The unit also provided damage assessments and repairs on the USS Cole and participated in humanitarian missions following Hurricane Katrina and the 2010 earthquake that struck Haiti.

The incident is under investigation.

Navy: Two senior leaders face charges in February diver deaths

The unidentified sailors have been charged with involuntary manslaughter and dereliction of duty in the Feb. 26 drowning deaths of divers James Reyher, 28, and Ryan Harris, 23. The Navy will hold the military equivalent of a preliminary hearing on May 21..........

Hardison said the Navy will hold an Article 32 investigation, the military equivalent of a preliminary hearing or grand jury investigation, on May 21 at Naval Station Norfolk in Virginia to determine whether the charges will be referred to a court-martial, dealt with administratively or dismissed.

"The command is saying, 'We think there's enough evidence for these charges,'" Hardison said. "An investigating officer will look at the information and decide whether the charges are substantiated."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-diver-deaths-article-1.1332553#ixzz2UnlEZZo5

I imagine it will take a while before they make a decision.

any followup on this?

Harris, 23, had the option to cut the line connecting him to Reyher underwater and survive. He refused to do it, though, doing everything in his power to free Reyher, 28, until both men died on Feb. 26, 2013.

The incident resulted in discipline for at least five personnel, Navy officials said. Four of them were charged with dereliction of duty in October after refusing to accept administrative punishment. One of them, Chief Petty Officer Gary Ladd Jr., ultimately changed his mind, the Virginian-Pilot reported in January.

The commanding officer of their unit, Cmdr. Michael Runkle, was removed from his job in May 2013 after an investigation determined that there were a variety of problems in his unit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-drowned-refusing-to-leave-his-fellow-sailor/

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back