Sheriff Joe Arpaio says rising food costs, budget concerns will result in inmates pay

Softail

Reaction score
Sheriff Joe Arpaio says rising food costs, budget concerns will result in inmates paying for meals

Posted: 02/27/2013
Last Updated: 10 hours and 11 minutes ago

PHOENIX - The Maricopa County jail system is believed to be the third largest in the nation, and soon it may be the first to begin charging inmates for their meals.

"Everybody else has to pay for food, why should they [inmates] get freebies," said Arpaio.

Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/regio...ult-in-inmates-paying-for-meals#ixzz2MCdnLNvF - See more at: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/regio...inmates-paying-for-meals#sthash.QwlvG4ST.dpuf

I really like Sheriff Joe!

I don't think you can feed a kid a school lunch that cheap, wonder what the two meals a day menu is like for a grown man.

Is this a government or private prison? Are these hardened criminals like murderers and repeat offenders?

Charging 30 dollars a month for a prison account seems excessive to me.

What happens to an old or disabled prisoner who can't work or has no one to put money into an account for them? Do they go hungry?

I don't really know what to think of this.

Arpaio confirmed to ABC15 that beginning in March, he is planning to charge each inmate $1 per day for the cost of their meals.

Currently, there are roughly 8,300 inmates in the county jails and tents who receive two meals a day.

"You have to be a little innovative these days with budget problems and rising costs," Arpaio told ABC15.

The Sheriff said meals used to cost $.60 a day per inmate, but the cost of food has risen since the jail is now purchasing more food with donations down.

"The food banks are hurting, they're not getting donations and we are not getting the donations we used to," said Arpaio. "A dollar a day isn't that much, I mean that's what it costs to feed the inmates now."

Arpaio explained there are a couple different ways to collect the money, starting with the moment someone is booked into the facility.

"They're coming to jail and they have money in their pocket, that's going to be the first priority," said Arpaio.

According to Arpaio, the other way to collect will be from jail accounts. As money is placed in an inmate's account by family and friends that money would be subjected to the $1 a day fee.

I love it! I've always been for inmates to pay their 'way'. I don't feel it right that the tax payer foot the bill for them.

"Sheriff Joe" is a camera hog, plain and simple.

The courts will not allow him to starve inmates.

The issue of inmates paying their own way is a complicated one and I don't pretend to understand all the issues. But if you are going to charge inmates for their upkeep, you have to offer them ways to make a living behind bars.

Many inmates would love to work and support themselves (if only to have some way to kill time), but unions and private companies have rightfully complained about having to compete with captive labor.

This is a complicated issue of economics and civil rights, but leave it to Joe to appeal to our knee-jerk intolerance toward "criminals".

A lot of idiot women will now be sending even more of their hard earned money to their men.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv
Back