1094 users online (235 members and 859 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Australia - Julie-Anne Leahy, 26, & Vicki Arnold, 27, Atherton, Qld, 9 Aug 1991

March 01, 2013

IN a shock ruling, a Queensland man has been committed to stand trial by a coroner over the killings of his wife and her best friend, two decades after the friend was blamed for the brutal crime.
    Queensland coroner Michael Barnes said a properly instructed jury could find Alan Leahy guilty over the slayings of Julie-Anne Leahy and her best friend Vicki Arnold, whose bodies were found in remote far north Queensland bushland in August 1991.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226588472111

I lived in that region for many years and remember all the talk about this case. Nobody believed that this was a murder-suicide. It is all very bizarre and I am pleased that finally the husband is going to be looked at very closely!
    *** The above comment is my personal opinion and may be based on known facts or just my imagination ***

You are on the ball Marlywings! I was going to message you and ask if this case should have a thread - thank you. I have heard a bit about this case over the years, and neither of the women's families ever believed that murder/suicide was the real cause of their deaths.
    I'm sure this case was featured on an Australian true crime series - I thought it was Crime Investigation, but I can't see it in the episode list.

Well done to the coroner at this latest inquest for looking at this case with fresh eyes and seeing what the police and two previous coroners did not. That this was not a murder suicide by two best friends.

A cold case now moving forward. Great news for the families of the 2 women.

All in my opinion only

A couple of older reports...

First is the transcript from Sixty Minutes program back in 2005...

Murder at Cherry Tree
    Sep 18, 2005

It's a crime that's never quite added up. There's much more to this mystery than meets the eye.

Picture the scene of the crime, a remote bush track in north Queensland. There are two bodies — both young women. One has been shot, bashed, strangled and had her throat cut. The other's been shot several times. She's holding a sawn-off rifle.

For the police it's an open and shut case of murder-suicide. So how did the alleged killer manage to shoot herself in the back of the head? It must be asked whether police bungled the entire investigation and let the real killer walk free...

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com/stor...rry-tree-creek

This one is from the inquest held in 2011...

Flaws in Leahy-Arnold investigation
    November 15th, 2011

A FORMER police officer has told an inquest into the deaths of Vicki Arnold and Julie-Anne Leahy his theory that the best friends were shot by a third party who was having an affair with one of the women.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au...3431_news.html

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/201...ocal-news.html

This is a report on evidence given by Julie-Ann's younger sister Vanessa at the inquest. She said she first had sex at the age of 16 with her brother in law Alan one week after her sister went missing and she later came to believe he had killed her sister and friend. She claims he coached her on what to say about his whereabouts that night, thereby providing him with an alibi.

All in my opinion only

Atherton (pop. 7000) and Herberton (pop. 900) are very small towns where everybody knows everybody. Who knows if the husband had connections in the police force or paid someone for their silence, or for turning the investigation into the direction of murder-suicide, etc. In life there is corruption at all levels.
    Last edited by CaseClosed; 03-01-2013 at 08:23 AM.
    *** The above comment is my personal opinion and may be based on known facts or just my imagination ***

From those links in the previous few posts and from my own memory of reading about this case over the last few years, I think the husband just may have got lucky that the police first on the scene botched the crime scene and minimal forensic evidence was able to be collected a couple of days later when the forensic people came to Cairns to examine the vehicle and gun. Fingerprints had been washed off the car in the weather.

That and the apparent alibi Julie-Ann's sister provided for Alan.

Seems like his luck may have just run out!

All in my opinion only

March 02, 2013

THE EVIDENCE

MURDER MYSTERY AT CHERRY TREE CREEK

How the events unfolded

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226588777132

Quote Originally Posted by marlywings View Post
    March 02, 2013

THE EVIDENCE

MURDER MYSTERY AT CHERRY TREE CREEK

How the events unfolded

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226588777132

60 Minutes transcript from 18 September 2005 - Husband and sister in interview.

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/s...der-at-cherry-
    tree-creek

Wow thanks so much for posting!

This one always stayed with me, I cannot believe there may finally be justice.

This case is important also as a good example of police incompetence and blinkered investigations...they still happen and much more frequently than most of us like to think.
    Everything I post is my opinion only, can change at any time, and is not intended to replace fact.
    Critical Thinking is often criticised.
    KISS

Husband of victim Julie-Anne Leahy said he had ''ways of shutting people up'', woman tells court

Melanie Petrinec | November 18th, 2011

Ms Bryant said she told Mr Leahy she was driving to Atherton from Cairns on the night the women went missing when she saw a white four-wheel-drive similar to the one their bodies were found in, and witnessed three people arguing.

Mr Leahy told her he would pass the information on to police, but Ms Bryant alleged he never did. Ms Bryant also claimed she found a bloodied towel at the Leahy family home in the days after the women disappeared, but she washed it without thinking.

She said she twice heard Mr Leahy telling Ms Stewart to "just keep your cool, itíll be all right", and witnessed the pair becoming close.

Ms Bryant said she attended Mrs Leahyís funeral and then cut back on contact with the family.
    http://www.cairns.com.au/article/201...t-version.html
    Any opinions I post here are my own and not those of Websleuths.

Half-sister 'ashamed' at sex with Leahy

November 29, 2011
    Laura Harding

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...#ixzz2MMXIxcwD
    Any opinions I post here are my own and not those of Websleuths.

Woah - this is awesome, thanks heaps for the updates on this case. I bet Vicki's family is thrilled to bits that the truth is coming out, at last.

Just an interesting snip, from the 60 Minutes transcript linked above:

ALAN LEAHY: I absolutely had nothing to do with my wife's murder.

One day, I am going to go through a ton of solved cases in which the killer denied responsibility in the press, and count up how many of them say, "I absolutely had nothing to do with..."

I predict: there's a lot.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast